2019 Draft Talk

14 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I was going to mention this. Their announced pre-draft visits seem to really be focusing on DE. I'm rarely going to complain about adding a player on either line but it would be surprising considering the high level of need on the offensive line and at LB to see them go elsewhere early. I guess when you have the worst defense in the league, an impact player can only be a good thing. If they draft a DE in the first, I just hope he's learned the art of sacking a QB gently. 

16 hours ago, SF2 said:

So which one do you think they would take, Murray or Haskins?   I tend to think Murray would be more successful right now behind a suspect o line but if we had 2015's line Haskins would be the better QB. 

I think Haskins has a much higher ceiling than Murray. He'll be a star in this league in a few years.

53 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I was going to mention this. Their announced pre-draft visits seem to really be focusing on DE. I'm rarely going to complain about adding a player on either line but it would be surprising considering the high level of need on the offensive line and at LB to see them go elsewhere early. I guess when you have the worst defense in the league, an impact player can only be a good thing. If they draft a DE in the first, I just hope he's learned the art of sacking a QB gently. 

I would be annoyed. DL is already the strongest unit on the team. 

We should look at David Sills, WR, West Virginia in the 4th round.  Was a prolific high school QB and 5 star recruit and was supposed to go to USC until Lane Kiffin blew everything up there. 

Would be a good slot receiver and 3rd string QB.  Basically insurance if Ross continues to struggle with the play book and would be a good special teams guy unlike Ross who does nothing on teams.  Guy led the nation in TD receptions in 2017 and the Big 12 in 2017 and 18. 

31 minutes ago, Girevik said:

FWIW,  reports are Denver is in love with Locke.  While I don't put a lot of stock in pre draft chatter,  that wouldn't surprise me. 

Elway is in love with every tall strong armed QB that is not currently a Denver Bronco.

6 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

I would be annoyed. DL is already the strongest unit on the team. 

You know what bothers me, Akili? I read the other day that Lawson was on a slow bid in his comeback from that knee injury. Maybe there's something going on here that we haven't considered? Players sometimes don't make it all the way from these types of serious injuries. Yeah, that's what worries me!

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I don't think we need to draft a WR at all this year. We probably will add one on day 3 but our WR group is decent as is and one of the stronger units on the team.

I disagree. There's a strong need for an upgrade at the back of the WR unit. Just look where we were at the end of last year for proof. Wrs, as a group, are a unit you should continually add talent to nearly every year, as you try to upgrade. There's plenty of room to take a look at a few guys as we attempt to improve what we have there, especially with all the picks we have this year. 

5 minutes ago, bengaled said:

You know what bothers me, Akili? I read the other day that Lawson was on a slow bid in his comeback from that knee injury. Maybe there's something going on here that we haven't considered? Players sometimes don't make it all the way from these types of serious injuries. Yeah, that's what worries me!

Add in the fact that our defensive line wasn't that good last year.  We were 28th in sacks and near the bottom of almost every meaningful statistic.  Geno and Dunlap can't do everything by themselves and Lawson only had one sack and six tackles in eight games before he got hurt so he wasn't exactly stellar before the injury.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I don't think we need to draft a WR at all this year. We probably will add one on day 3 but our WR group is decent as is and one of the stronger units on the team.

1 hour ago, bengaled said:

I disagree. There's a strong need for an upgrade at the back of the WR unit. Just look where we were at the end of last year for proof. Wrs, as a group, are a unit you should continually add talent to nearly every year, as you try to upgrade. There's plenty of room to take a look at a few guys as we attempt to improve what we have there, especially with all the picks we have this year. 

We absolutely need to draft a WR this year.  When Green and Boyd went down no one else stepped up.  I still have hopes for Ross, but I'd love to find someone else reliable.  And if he can play gunner even better.  *cough* Terry McLaurin *cough* 

46 minutes ago, Jason said:

We absolutely need to draft a WR this year.  When Green and Boyd went down no one else stepped up.  I still have hopes for Ross, but I'd love to find someone else reliable.  And if he can play gunner even better.  *cough* Terry McLaurin *cough* 

Absolutely.  I'm not as hopeful about Ross as you and many others but Core can definitely go and an upgrade found.

While not a wide receiver, Eifert's hands would be missed if he should revert to form.

Of course, Auden Tate remains the mystery man.  I want to see more of him.

I think we should be able to pick up a fairly decent WR in the mid rounds who slides or was overlooked.

We'll probably carry 6 WRs on the roster with 5 active each week.

WR1: Green

WR2: Boyd

WR3: Ross

WR4/PR: Erickson

WR5: Malone

WR6: Core

It's not that Core/Malone/Erickson are untouchable but they are a lot closer to adequate than our depth at other positions. So use one of the 6ths on a WR who slides and they can fight for a spot on the 53 or go to the practice squad. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Add in the fact that our defensive line wasn't that good last year.  We were 28th in sacks and near the bottom of almost every meaningful statistic.  Geno and Dunlap can't do everything by themselves and Lawson only had one sack and six tackles in eight games before he got hurt so he wasn't exactly stellar before the injury.

I seem  to (vaguely) remember that one of the reasons the sack numbers were down was because the LBs couldn't cover much of anything therefor the QB always had an outlet. Still rather go OL in the first but WTF do I know.

10 hours ago, gupps said:

I seem  to (vaguely) remember that one of the reasons the sack numbers were down was because the LBs couldn't cover much of anything therefor the QB always had an outlet. Still rather go OL in the first but WTF do I know.

I agree O line is a bigger need just that our Dline wasn’t getting at the QB much last year. 

15 hours ago, Jason said:

At the time that Green and Boyd were both out, the WRs didn't have anybody to throw to them. And hopefully, now we have an OC that knows how to use the ones we have. If we don't, it doesn't matter who the WRs are. 

26 minutes ago, Hooky said:

At the time that Green and Boyd were both out, the WRs didn't have anybody to throw to them. And hopefully, now we have an OC that knows how to use the ones we have. If we don't, it doesn't matter who the WRs are. 

Fair point. And the O-line didn't exactly give Driskel the cleanest pocket.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I agree O line is a bigger need just that our Dline wasn’t getting at the QB much last year. 

Defensive linemen are going to have a hard time doing that in a league that lets the offense tackle them at will.

27 minutes ago, SF2 said:

True. Is there any chance that our new offense-bred head coach won't go offense at 11?  We need to go LB. Supposedly, White will be gone and Bush is a reach, but they need to fill our biggest need. No, I don't think it's OT. If they absolutely must, I would be OK with Jonah Williams.

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

I'm sure our new super duper oline coach will  soon be turning Hart and friends into All Pros in no time. Here's how he will do it:

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

Whoa.  Not sure if making a statement like that is a good idea for a guy who has only played 10 games.  Dalton be like wuutt?

Young Billy is definitely going to be getting a little extra thumb up there in camp

Archived