2019 Draft Talk

16 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

A few years early but GOD DAMN Trevor Lawrence is an impressive QB prospect. He's a true freshman too.

The kid that just transferred to Ohio State is supposed to be nearly as good. And a better athlete. There may be 2 QBs in that draft worth taking. Lawrence was the top overall recruit, this kid, Justin Fields was #2. 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

The kid that just transferred to Ohio State is supposed to be nearly as good. And a better athlete. There may be 2 QBs in that draft worth taking. Lawrence was the top overall recruit, this kid, Justin Fields was #2. 

Don't kid yourself.  Tua will be a phenomenal pro QB as well.  He is exceptionally accurate.  His problem yesterday was he finally ran into a team that his WRs couldn't simply run past and the play calling was garbage.  Why the fuck Saban (or his OC Mike Locksley)  kept trying to throw home run balls when the middle of the field was wide open is beyond me.  Clemson has legit NFL corners so the long pitch and catch wasn't going to work yesterday.  Oh, and Clemson brought serious heat, something Bama QBs don't see often.  The QB sneak in the 4th quarter was epic.  Run a sneak with the best passer in college on 4th and goal.  Clemson ate it up.

Full disclosure:  I hate Alabama. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Don't kid yourself.  Tua will be a phenomenal pro QB as well.  He is exceptionally accurate.  His problem yesterday was he finally ran into a team that his WRs couldn't simply run past and the play calling was garbage.  Why the fuck Saban (or his OC Mike Locksley)  kept trying to throw home run balls when the middle of the field was wide open is beyond me.  Clemson has legit NFL corners so the long pitch and catch wasn't going to work yesterday.  Oh, and Clemson brought serious heat, something Bama QBs don't see often.  The QB sneak in the 4th quarter was epic.  Run a sneak with the best passer in college on 4th and goal.  Clemson ate it up.

Full disclosure:  I hate Alabama. 

I agree.  But he likely comes out next year.  Lawrence and Fields have 2 more years before they're eligible.

On 1/5/2019 at 8:03 PM, Big Alice said:

I’m convinced Drew Lock and Dwayne Haskins will be the first two guys off the board. I’ve seen enough of Lock to think he’s alright.

Haskins could be great, but he’s really not ready yet. He had the best group of receivers in the country and they made him look a little better than he is. Falling into a good system with great coaches is critical for him. A lot of his college production came via wide open receivers. He’s going to have to learn to deliver the ball into tight windows.

People are down on Will Grier. I like him. Not a huge arm, but good enough. 11 is way too high.

The guy to keep an eye on through this process is Clayton Thorson from Northwestern. He’s a big guy with great wheels and a big arm. The numbers just aren’t there. And he threw way too many picks.

Ryan Finley is probably the most NFL ready, and could start early. There’s just no star upside. He can’t move and his arm is average at best. He is accurate, and he’s been in college for six years, so he’s about as polished as a guy can be.

Daniel Jones’ problem is accuracy - especially outside the hashes. He’s low with a lot of his throws. The scouting reports boost him up and say he didn’t have great weapons around him. That’s an overstatement. He had T.J. Rahming, who’ll probably make somebody’s roster next year. He constantly turns receivers around or just skips it to them. The plus for Jones is that he’s played for David Cutcliffe. That dude is a legit quarterback whisperer.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Haskins had the best receiver group in the country? Not sure about that.

If he's there at 11, take him and build around him.

22 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Haskins had the best receiver group in the country? Not sure about that.

If he's there at 11, take him and build around him.

As a group.  There were better receivers out there, but as a set they were at or near the top.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

So now that we have a young, smart offensive minded HC, what would you think of Kyler Murray?

New offensive minded HC and new OC...

I would not be the least bit surprised if we trade up and take Haskins.

Especially if he starts to slide.

Nothing against Andy.

But fresh new start all over with the new crew.

9 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

New offensive minded HC and new OC...

I would not be the least bit surprised if we trade up and take Haskins.

Especially if he starts to slide.

Nothing against Andy.

But fresh new start all over with the new crew.

We have enough needs that I'm not giving up the draft capital it would take to get ahead of the Giants.  In fact I would't be at all surprised if NYG or JAX make a move to #1 to take him.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

So now that we have a young, smart offensive minded HC, what would you think of Kyler Murray?

Uh. Not. Better to discuss like, real QBs. Plenty of examples to see that QB style is ineffective to winning SBs. RGIII, oh yeah, D Watson and Lamar J, both 1st round one n dones. 

The A's paid him $5 bills just to keep his rights. He was the 9th overall selection in the MLB draft. The complete outfield package. In 5 years, he'll be hauling down high-end major league dollars. Play for 15 years, and keep his health. 

Or, he can be a short Baker Mayfield imitation, get his brains beat in, and be out of everything in 3 years. 

What a choice. 

I’m not trading up for a QB but if one is there at 11 I wouldn’t object to taking him. Let him sit behind Dalton for a year. If Taylor is a good coach we may not be picking high again for a while. Then trade Dalton when he’s on his last year. 

Could it be Murray at 11? He's so small. But man he is exciting. He's a great passer and runner. The new style of NFL QB. 

My biggest concern is size. He's listed at 5'11 195. I think he's 5'10 or less. Russell Wilson is 5'11 215. 

Also, he was drafted top 10 by the Oakland A's. He can't do both as a QB. 

MLB is giving the Oakland A's permission to sweeten the pot for Murray which is a rare move.  He did declare for the draft but that should not be a surprise.  If the right club tells him he is their man and he comes near the top 10 then he will make way more GUARANTEED money than MAYBE playing major league baseball.   Less than 50% of first rounders play 3 years plus in pro baseball. 

Josh Rosen was picked at 10 and got $17.6 in guaranteed money.  

Lamar Jackson was picked at 32 and got $7.57 in guaranteed money.

Oakland A's have only paid him $4.66 mil.   RGIII got more than that playing one year at Cleveland as a backup.

I would love to have had him as our backup in 2015.  I can't see him lasting too long.  Lamar Jackson has taken some pretty hefty hits. Marcus Mariotta can't stay on the field. 

True that many high-end MLB draftees never make it to the big leagues. But, if they do, there is no way NFL money can compare to MLB--and without the physical beating. If Manny Machado and Bryce Harper are going to perhaps go in the 10-year $350 million area, how in the hell is the NFL going to compete with that? And Murray has a 5-tool range in his baseball skills--a much desired commodity.    

29 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

True that many high-end MLB draftees never make it to the big leagues. But, if they do, there is no way NFL money can compare to MLB--and without the physical beating. If Manny Machado and Bryce Harper are going to perhaps go in the 10-year $350 million area, how in the hell is the NFL going to compete with that? And Murray has a 5-tool range in his baseball skills--a much desired commodity.    

Why would anyone want to play baseball for 7 1/2 straight months every year?   It is 7 1/2 IF you don't make the playoffs.  There no fucking breaks other than the tiny all star break.  194 games if you include Spring training.   Standing around and scratching your crotch in 90 degree weather for 7 1/2 months STRAIGHT and 8 months plus if you make the playoffs.   Almost every day to include Sat and Sunday.  3 hours per game.  Fuck me. 

The NBA is just as bad but basketball is a FUN sport to play.  

Yes, I get that the money is huge.  

20 games in the NFL but you barely play in the first 4 pre season games if you are a starter.  Way more exciting.  5 months plus.  6 months if you are in playoffs.

Archived