Jump to content

Recommended Posts

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/17/18186805/2019-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-1-0-bengals-lions-49ers-florida-gators-football

 

Kiper's Latest Mock...

 

Now a few days beyond the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the 2019 NFL Draft, the talent pool for April’s draft is officially set. 

The biggest factor that’s been solidified this week is how defensive-heavy the top 10 seems to be looking. The strength of this year’s draft class appears to be on the defensive line, with a few players in the back seven vying to be a high pick as well. 

In Mel Kiper Jr.’s first mock draft of the year, he has seven defenders going in the top 10 in front of the Cincinnati Bengals, who pick 11th. One of those defenders is linebacker Devin White, who Kiper has going eighth to the Detroit Lions. 

 

Other well-known names such as Jonah Williams, Dwayne Haskins and Cody Ford also found themselves gone before the Bengals were on the clock. 

Kiper decided to mock the Bengals with the third offensive tackle to come off the board:

 

Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida Gators

The Bengals have missed on a few offensive linemen in the draft in recent years, and there’s still a hole at right tackle. That’s where Taylor would slot in. He took a huge step forward playing on the right side in 2018, though there’s still mixed opinion from people I trust in the league. Taylor is raw, but he has the tools to be a premier road grader in the running game.

 

The Bengals have missed on more than a few offensive lineman in recent years, but the sentiment is clear: the offensive line still needs work. The biggest hole remains at right tackle with what they have there now, and addressing the position in the first round seems logical.

But is Taylor worth that pick?

As a true junior, Taylor finished his third season starting for the Florida Gators and was the only freshman to start on their offensive line back in 2016. He’s played most of his collegiate career at right tackle, so he wouldn’t have to make an adjustment if he were to be drafted by Cincinnati.

But there’s a reason why the NFL scouts Kiper contacted are mixed about Taylor. He is most definitely raw and is more of a projection than anything, especially compared to his fellow SEC pass protector Williams from Alabama. 

 

Listed at 6’5” and just around 330 pounds, Taylor has tremendous size already for such a young player and his athleticism for that size is ultimately what’s going to attract the team that drafts him. The bigger question will be if teams feel he is ready to start right away.

For the Bengals’ situation, a plug-and-play option at the right tackle position is most definitely preferable considering their current options are just plain bad at the position. But that might no be feasible unless Williams falls out of the top 10, which could still happen.

I look forward to personally evaluating Taylor myself in the coming weeks, as Kiper may not be the last person to link him to the Bengals.

For what it’s worth, Kiper has Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Kyler Murray going two picks later to the Dolphins, if you’re hoping Cincinnati takes that gamble.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

We need a player not a project.  No more Marvin Lewis red shirts.

If this is the guy, could we trade down and still get him?

Or trade up for White?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/17/18186805/2019-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-1-0-bengals-lions-49ers-florida-gators-football

 

Kiper's Latest Mock...

 

Now a few days beyond the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the 2019 NFL Draft, the talent pool for April’s draft is officially set. 

The biggest factor that’s been solidified this week is how defensive-heavy the top 10 seems to be looking. The strength of this year’s draft class appears to be on the defensive line, with a few players in the back seven vying to be a high pick as well. 

In Mel Kiper Jr.’s first mock draft of the year, he has seven defenders going in the top 10 in front of the Cincinnati Bengals, who pick 11th. One of those defenders is linebacker Devin White, who Kiper has going eighth to the Detroit Lions. 

 

Other well-known names such as Jonah Williams, Dwayne Haskins and Cody Ford also found themselves gone before the Bengals were on the clock. 

Kiper decided to mock the Bengals with the third offensive tackle to come off the board:

 

Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida Gators

The Bengals have missed on a few offensive linemen in the draft in recent years, and there’s still a hole at right tackle. That’s where Taylor would slot in. He took a huge step forward playing on the right side in 2018, though there’s still mixed opinion from people I trust in the league. Taylor is raw, but he has the tools to be a premier road grader in the running game.

 

The Bengals have missed on more than a few offensive lineman in recent years, but the sentiment is clear: the offensive line still needs work. The biggest hole remains at right tackle with what they have there now, and addressing the position in the first round seems logical.

But is Taylor worth that pick?

As a true junior, Taylor finished his third season starting for the Florida Gators and was the only freshman to start on their offensive line back in 2016. He’s played most of his collegiate career at right tackle, so he wouldn’t have to make an adjustment if he were to be drafted by Cincinnati.

But there’s a reason why the NFL scouts Kiper contacted are mixed about Taylor. He is most definitely raw and is more of a projection than anything, especially compared to his fellow SEC pass protector Williams from Alabama. 

 

Listed at 6’5” and just around 330 pounds, Taylor has tremendous size already for such a young player and his athleticism for that size is ultimately what’s going to attract the team that drafts him. The bigger question will be if teams feel he is ready to start right away.

For the Bengals’ situation, a plug-and-play option at the right tackle position is most definitely preferable considering their current options are just plain bad at the position. But that might no be feasible unless Williams falls out of the top 10, which could still happen.

I look forward to personally evaluating Taylor myself in the coming weeks, as Kiper may not be the last person to link him to the Bengals.

For what it’s worth, Kiper has Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Kyler Murray going two picks later to the Dolphins, if you’re hoping Cincinnati takes that gamble.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

We need a player not a project.  No more Marvin Lewis red shirts.

If this is the guy, could we trade down and still get him?

Or trade up for White?

Yes. I read somewhere his arm length is a concern. No ninja. I couldn't find a measurement anywhere though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Sorry, you implied the league would target him for flags which everyone knows was an indirect reference to Burfict’s propensity to get flagged.  I don’t see scary Burfict, I see a guy who missed at least the first 3 games of the last 4 seasons because he can’t play within the rules.  A guy that has missed 34 games in the last 5 years. A guy who keeps giving himself concussions. Scary is not the word I would use. 

 

Now you are justifying Burfict’s behavior because back in the old days, everybody did it?  It isn’t the old days. There are cameras everywhere. Every play can be reviewed by the league office per the players’ agreed to CBA. Everyone used to take drugs and do steroids too. It’s 2019, not 1969. 

 

If if you hate the product and think there is a conspiracy to shit on the Bengals why are you a fan?  

 

I didn't imply it, that is exactly what I said. Quit trying to turn this into something it's not. The current NFL is running scared from a concussion lawsuit & only going to continue to limit contact. This is a league-wide trend that apparently everyone but you has recognized and commented on repeatedly.

 

You want to pretend that isn't happening, fine, but I'm not going to have another scary-Burfict argument to help you convince yourself.

 

In simpler terms, kindly get off my dick?

 

:D

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Who wouldn't take a young Andre Smith? Especially one who has only played RT?  

You mean a fat, out of shape, oft-injured player? Yup, perfect way to use a high draft pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devin white is a stud.  Hes like derwin james last year...easy to translate his talent to nfl.  His bust factor is really low.  It just depends on fa this year.  If we dont sign any lbs in fa and we sign a couple olineman.  He is gonna be the guy we have to take at 11.  If we sign kwon alexander , jordan hicks or kj wright then I think pick 11 would lean to the oline.  If by miracle we sign darryl williams and kj wright we can take anything but wr or rb at 11.  This draft is stacked in the top 15 so there is going to be a great player there at 11 this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

You mean a fat, out of shape, oft-injured player? Yup, perfect way to use a high draft pick. 

 

what's his 40 time though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The way you defend it, is that a confirmation that this league is pure as the driven snow--or are your incessant Burfict deflections just an avoidance of the actual fact that the NFL is a deteriorating product?     

The NFL had no choice but to change. CTE is a huge liability problem for the league. The game has changed. If it had not, it would have been litigated out of existence 

 

I am not the one who said we can’t draft a stud linebacker because the league has it out for the Bengals.

 

The league doesn’t have it out for the Bengals, it has it out for Burfict.  If Burfict were traded tomorrow the league would still have it out for Burfict. 

 

It’s the same league that suspended The Chosen One Tom Brady for 4 games because he wouldn’t give the Commissioner his cell phone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

Kiper has a point. Need to have an OT. That can really get the job done.

We have to have a guy who can start day one. If there is one in FA, they need to take him. There are multiple linebackers and TEs in the draft that could start day 1 on this team.  Not so at OT that we will have a shot at I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year everyone said there weren't many OT's in the top of the draft that were worth the pick and we should wait until this year.  Now we still can't draft a franchise LT for the same reason.  Guess we're wrapping Glenn in more duct tape and seeing if he can go another 6-8 games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Last year everyone said there weren't many OT's in the top of the draft that were worth the pick and we should wait until this year.  Now we still can't draft a franchise LT for the same reason.  Guess we're wrapping Glenn in more duct tape and seeing if he can go another 6-8 games?

Miller was picked at 15 and had a good rookie season.  Wynn was picked at 23 and didn’t play.  None of the 2nd rounders started the season but some did later and played ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, membengal said:

 

Price was a rookie C playing on a bad ankle, surrounded by mediocre talent on a team with no leadership.

 

I'm not that worried.  If he's still struggling next season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SF2 said:

The NFL had no choice but to change. CTE is a huge liability problem for the league. The game has changed. If it had not, it would have been litigated out of existence 

 

I am not the one who said we can’t draft a stud linebacker because the league has it out for the Bengals.

 

The league doesn’t have it out for the Bengals, it has it out for Burfict.  If Burfict were traded tomorrow the league would still have it out for Burfict. 

 

It’s the same league that suspended The Chosen One Tom Brady for 4 games because he wouldn’t give the Commissioner his cell phone.  

Concussion litigation is a portion the NFL "had no choice but to change". But head trauma has nothing to do with the numerous other alterations which have reduced it to side-show levels. Offensive lines allowed to bear hug defenders--or selectively not allowed--will not show up in CTE scans. Pass defenders not being permitted to breath on receivers once ball is snapped, will never be litigated for "player safety". Quarterbacks being encased in Deflector Shields won't make any Will Smith movies. 

 

The league changes to play to fantasy football and television interests. That they happen to appear to care about "player safety" is simply a PR front. They could monetarily withstand a thousand class action concussion suits.They "change" because the image is better. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm taking Devin White off my Christmas list.

Don't think he will last to 11.

 

Now the Bengals draft has become like placing an order at the Norwood White Castle

and waiting for the sliders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until Jawaan Taylor wrestles Tim Krumrie and demonstrates his ability to retrieve ketchup I'm not willing to get behind this pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Concussion litigation is a portion the NFL "had no choice but to change". But head trauma has nothing to do with the numerous other alterations which have reduced it to side-show levels. Offensive lines allowed to bear hug defenders--or selectively not allowed--will not show up in CTE scans. Pass defenders not being permitted to breath on receivers once ball is snapped, will never be litigated for "player safety". Quarterbacks being encased in Deflector Shields won't make any Will Smith movies. 

 

The league changes to play to fantasy football and television interests. That they happen to appear to care about "player safety" is simply a PR front. They could monetarily withstand a thousand class action concussion suits.They "change" because the image is better. 

I don't disagree with any of this.  I certainly don't think the league gives a shit about player safety.  They DO care about losing massive lawsuits because they refused to change once they knew about the concussions. They learned their lesson very well by watching what the tobacco companies had to pay out by NOT acknowledging the problem once they knew.  $246 billion is a lot of money.

 

No doubt the league will do everything they can to protect the QBs to include looking away from a lot of the holding calls.  The QBs are the face of the league.  This weekend it is Brady vs Mahomes and Brees vs Goff.   It isn't being advertised Edelman vs Hill  and  Thomas vs Gurley.    Most casual fans could not name another 2 players on any of those teams.

 

That said, a linebacker who tackles legally won't be an issue in my opinion.  They don't get near the QB that often anyways unless they play outside on a 3-4 defense, something we don't run.  We need a guy who can run sideline to sideline and be effective against swing passes and passes to the tight end.  White is that guy if he could actually last until 11.    Keep in mind if OTs Jonah Williams or Cody Ford are still on the board its a no brainer(doubtful).  If White is gone I think you trade down for OT Dalton Risner.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 3:26 PM, Le Tigre said:

Who wouldn't take a young Andre Smith? Especially one who has only played RT?  

No shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SF2 said:

This weekend it is Brady vs Mahomes and Brees vs Goff. 

 

Let's hope Mahomes & Goff get the wins so maybe the league can stop trying to protect these 40 year old QBs so long overdue for retirement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey wait... I thought only Whitworth and Boy Wonder get wins on the Rams... Who is this Goff guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Go-Bengals.com on Facebook

Go-Bengals.com on Twitter

×