Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Alice

Who Has the Most to Gain?

Recommended Posts

A new head coach means a new start for everybody on the roster. Marvin Lewis’s doghouse has always been particularly tough to get out of. And, a fresh set of eyes, means that there may be guys on this roster that see expanded roles moving forward.

 

My question is: What players stand to gain the most under the incoming regime?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

 

A new head coach means a new start for everybody on the roster. Marvin Lewis’s doghouse has always been particularly tough to get out of. And, a fresh set of eyes, means that there may be guys on this roster that see expanded roles moving forward.

 

My question is: What players stand to gain the most under the incoming regime?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

 

 

Gotta say Mixon, dude put up excellent numbers even being forgotten for stretches of the season.  Gio too.  Just a real lack of creativity for having 2 damned good RB's on the roster. Our pass rushers would certainly benefit from a real DC, in combo with letting our DB's play the aggressive man coverage they were drafted for instead of playing soft and praying for a turnover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

Gotta say Mixon, dude put up excellent numbers even being forgotten for stretches of the season.  Gio too.  Just a real lack of creativity for having 2 damned good RB's on the roster. Our pass rushers would certainly benefit from a real DC, in combo with letting our DB's play the aggressive man coverage they were drafted for instead of playing soft and praying for a turnover.

My thoughts exactly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Gotta say Mixon, dude put up excellent numbers even being forgotten for stretches of the season.  Gio too.  Just a real lack of creativity for having 2 damned good RB's on the roster. Our pass rushers would certainly benefit from a real DC, in combo with letting our DB's play the aggressive man coverage they were drafted for instead of playing soft and praying for a turnover.

I have to agree. A little imagination in the run/screen game could really make Mixon and Bernard a fearsome duo.

And why did the Bengals pay top dollar to keep Geno and Dunlap if all they were going to do if they were never going to turn them loose?


Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say Mixon the most ( at least i hope so)

 

But I hope it is our secondary,

Jackson is a stud, but needs to play man, he is not a zone cb 

Denard should be the # 2 cb hands down

Kirk is not very good a cb and should move to safety, he cannot turn his hips to play cb, but, I think he could play if the action is in front of him

Bates will be pro bowler with the proper coaching

Phillips with proper coaching can be really good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Ross.  The right coach will find more ways to get him the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That depends on who the coach is and what his philosophy is. Really can't answer that right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jason said:

John Ross.  The right coach will find more ways to get him the ball.

 

He better, because Mikey isn't going to let them cut him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

He better, because Mikey isn't going to let them cut him. 

It would be a 10mil cap hit. 2 mil in real dollars I think. Not sure how rookie signing bonuses are paid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It would be a 10mil cap hit. 2 mil in real dollars I think. Not sure how rookie signing bonuses are paid. 

 

Calling it a "cap hit" is misleading.  The money has already been spent, there is no "hit".  The only decision to be made is whether we want to spend one of 53 roster spots on a backup receiver that can't run routes, catch balls in traffic, or play special teams.  If he stays it only costs us more money in whatever roster or other bonuses he may have coming.  The 10 mil is water under the bridge & a non-factor if the goal is putting together the best team possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

 

Calling it a "cap hit" is misleading.  The money has already been spent, there is no "hit".  The only decision to be made is whether we want to spend one of 53 roster spots on a backup receiver that can't run routes, catch balls in traffic, or play special teams.  If he stays it only costs us more money in whatever roster or other bonuses he may have coming.  The 10 mil is water under the bridge & a non-factor if the goal is putting together the best team possible.

It simply means if we get rid of him, we still have him on the books for 10 mil in cap space.  No it isn't actual money but  that is $10 mil the Bengals can't spend on other players in 2019.  Cap is projected at $190 mil so that means over 10% of the salary cap being spent on offense is going to a guy who has 21 receptions and 210 career yards in 2 seasons. 

 

That is why the Antonio Brown situation is hilarious.  He is worth $21 mil in 2019 cap space and he is a future hall of fame receiver.  We can probably spend a few mil and replace Ross' production easily, the Stealers are fucked.  HA HA HA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SF2 said:

It simply means if we get rid of him, we still have him on the books for 10 mil in cap space.  No it isn't actual money but  that is $10 mil the Bengals can't spend on other players in 2019.  Cap is projected at $190 mil so that means over 10% of the salary cap being spent on offense is going to a guy who has 21 receptions and 210 career yards in 2 seasons. 

 

That is why the Antonio Brown situation is hilarious.  He is worth $21 mil in 2019 cap space and he is a future hall of fame receiver.  We can probably spend a few mil and replace Ross' production easily, the Stealers are fucked.  HA HA HA.

 

Trade them. Sure they will run pick plays to get him open but he's not AB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

Trade them. Sure they will run pick plays to get him open but he's not AB.

I have seen little to make me think Ross will become some kind of Tyreek Hill type player.  I don’t even notice his speed on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I have seen little to make me think Ross will become some kind of Tyreek Hill type player.  I don’t even notice his speed on the field. 

 

AB on the other hand was no doubt HoF before "he make The Ben anger!! duurrrrr"

 

So that's 2 real good reasons for him to be a Bengal & counting.  Opposite AJ?  Gotta maintain that $50+ million cap cushion, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

AB on the other hand was no doubt HoF before "he make The Ben anger!! duurrrrr"

 

So that's 2 real good reasons for him to be a Bengal & counting.  Opposite AJ?  Gotta maintain that $50+ million cap cushion, though.

Ross and Burfict for AB? We will even throw in a 4th rounder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brown counts about as much on the cap for the Stealers whether they keep him or trade him. So they can easily trade him if they get an offer they like. Replacing his production would be the hard part, rather than dealing with the cap ramifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Brown counts about as much on the cap for the Stealers whether they keep him or trade him. So they can easily trade him if they get an offer they like. Replacing his production would be the hard part, rather than dealing with the cap ramifications.

I believe if they cut or trade him the cap hit is higher this year as his bonus when he signed gets accelerated into the current cap year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I believe if they cut or trade him the cap hit is higher this year as his bonus when he signed gets accelerated into the current cap year. 

A little over $21mil in dead cap right now.  Dead cap is the number that counts against salary cap calc.  It won't cost Pittsburgh anything in real money to cut him since he has probably already been paid his signing bonus but they will be working with only $169 mil instead of $190 mil for salary.   I assume they could get some decent draft pics for next years draft since they will have huge cap space NEXT year. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Taylor is the guy I still think it will matter who the OC is before we can truly know, but based on what Taylor has done in KC and the fact that he is a QB and WR guy. Obvious choices are Andy and AJ, but also Mixon because of how the Rams use Gurley. 

 

But those are already our top 3 guys so in terms of actual gain as in the trajectory is bigger in their growth, I'm going to go out on a limb and say John Ross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We know Mixon is a beast...led the AFC in rushing behind this line and having a stiff at QB for the last few games.

 

I hope some fresh eyes can help Ross and Gio be a bigger part of the offense too.

I soooo want Ross to not be a bust, but it's getting to the point of no return.

 

Just have everyone healthy going in to camp next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know ross hasnt set the world on fire.  However, the dude basically played out is rookie season this year.  Boyd had a decent first year, but completely sputtered out in his second, before improving tremendously in his third year.  Not to mention, before injuries of course, there were plenty of other mouths to feed other than ross, and conversely, when everyone got hurt, it was on him as i said, basically a rookie receiver, to make plays.  I think he needs atleast another year, under a new regime, before an opinion can be be remotely formed on him, especially given the fact that by all accounts, a very offensive minded coach with plenty of new concepts (should be anyway) is coming in.  Lets just wait and see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...