Coaching Staff 2019 Changes as they come

Just now, akiliMVP said:

Bengals hired former raiders RB coach Jemal Singleton to same position

Jemal Singleton enters his first season with the Oakland Raiders as running backs coach. He begins his third season in the NFL, having spent his first two years among the NFL coaching ranks with the Indianapolis Colts. 

Prior to joining the Colts, Singleton served one season with Arkansas as special teams coordinator/running backs coach (2015), four seasons with Oklahoma state as running back coach, and nine years with his alma mater (2000, 2003-10), Air Force Academy, in a variety of roles.

In his two seasons with Indianapolis, Singleton helped Frank Gore amass 1,986 rushing yards, the ninth-most in the NFL during that span. Gore came just shy of 1,000 yards in 2017, finishing 12th in the NFL with 961 yards on the ground. In 2016, he guided Gore to his ninth 1,000-yard season, becoming the first Colts rusher to eclipse 1,000 yards since RB Joseph Addai in 2007, and also becoming the first running back age 33-or-older to rush for at least 1,000 yards since John Riggins in 1984 (fourth player overall). 

He spent the 2015 season as the special teams coordinator/running backs coach for the Arkansas Razorbacks, helping now-Ravens RB Alex Collins to a breakout year, as he finished with 1,577 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns on just 271 touches (5.8 avg.). Collins set career highs in every major rushing category as a running back and was named a semifinalist for the Doak Walker Award, given annually to the nation’s best running back. Additionally, Singleton helped Collins earn second-team All-SEC honors and was eventually selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the fifth round (171st overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft.

Prior to his stint with Arkansas, Singleton served as Oklahoma State’s running backs coach for four seasons (2011-14). In his final season, Cowboys running backs did not commit a single turnover with over 500 combined touches. He coached his running backs to 35 scores on the ground in 2013, the sixth most in school history, while his first two seasons were highlighted by mentoring future fifth-round pick RB Joseph Randle to back-to-back first-team All-Big 12 selections. Joseph led the conference with 1,417 yards on the ground in 2012 and rushed for 24 scores in 2011 en route to a Big 12 title. Joseph went on to be the Dallas Cowboys’ fifth round pick (151st overall) in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Singleton spent nine years on Air Force’s coaching staff prior to joining Oklahoma State, serving as a run game coordinator/running backs coach (2007-10), running backs coach (2006), varsity assistant coach (2003-05) and a prep assistant (2000). In his tenure as running backs coach, Singleton led the Falcons to a conference rushing title and a top-10 national ranking each year, highlighted by a 2010 season that featured the nation’s number two rushing attack, averaging 306.5 yards per game and totaled 41 touchdowns, tying an Mountain West Conference record. In 2009, the offense averaged 293.5 yards per game on the ground, the third-best mark in the nation. In 2007, Singleton guided RB Chad Hall to a MWC Offensive Player of the Year Honor and third-team All-American honors after finishing with 1,478 rushing yards and 2,683 all-purpose yards. Hall went on to play three seasons in the NFL, playing with both the Philadelphia Eagles and Kansas City Chiefs.

In 2001, Singleton was stationed at Little Rock Air Force Base in Jacksonville, Ark. He served as the Chief of Media Relations as part of his military service commitment. In 2003, he returned to the Air Force Academy as the junior varsity defensive coordinator and varsity assistant coach. He began his coaching career in 2000 as a prep assistant, specifically as the team’s assistant head coach/offensive coordinator. 

PERSONAL: Native of San Antonio, Texas ... Attended Air Force Academy where he earned a bachelor’s degree in social sciences while also playing running back for the football team ... Played three seasons for the Academy (1996-98), tallying 941 rushing yards on 175 carries, adding four scores ... Was a three-year letter winner at halfback and was an honorable-mention all-Western Athletic Conference selection as a senior ... Helped the program win 10 games in back-to-back seasons for the first time in school history, including its first outright conference title in 1998 ... To this day, is one of just six players in Air Force history to be elected a two-time captain ... As the son of an Air Force Sergeant, was born in Incirlik, Turkey ... Has a wife, Jennifer, and two daughters, Morgan and Mallory.

https://www.raiders.com/team/coaches-roster/jemal-singleton

Just now, MichaelWeston said:

Well every team typically has veteran coaches. That's obvious. Some do well, some do bad. 

And Taylor could do very well for all you or any of us know.

You're acting like because he's not making the moves you want

or what other coaches have done, that he's going to be bad.

He very well could be Dave Shula 2.0. Or he could be the next great thing.

I don't KNOW either way. But I do have hope and am very excited, for a change.

Anyway, thanks for the effort and research to show what other new coaches, the majority 

of which will probably be bad, have done. 

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

IDK what the cut-off is but having coached an NFL game would be a fair start. Our guy hasn't been a HC at any level AFAIK. That is a legit concern.

I agree completely about ZT not being a HC anywhere before.  I guess I was asking more about the heartburn some are having because Zac is not bringing in more veteran assistants?

Correct: for every X there is a Y. And around and around it goes. But, it's what happens when the full dive into Fresh And New occurs. 

And when Fresh and New has no semblance of Established and Recognized, then there is really the Great Unknown.

Come next January, 5-11 is going to look (and feel) not quite so Fresh and New. 

3 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I agree completely about ZT not being a HC anywhere before.  I guess I was asking more about the heartburn some are having because Zac is not bringing in more veteran assistants?

I don't think there needs to be an distinct definition. But none of our coaches so far have been OC's or have much longevity in the league. 

Cleveland Browns (2005–2007)[edit]

Grantham's first year as coordinator of the Browns defense under head coach Romeo Crennel was an eclectic mix of good and bad. They once again fielded one of the NFL's top pass defenses, actually stepping up in rank from 5th to 4th in the NFL. When starting cornerback Gary Baxterwent down with a knee injury that ended his career, Leigh Bodden emerged as a solid playmaker. Overall, their secondary continued to play at a high level. They also ranked 11th in scoring defense despite possessing one of the leagues worst run defenses. Orpheus Roye posted a career high with 88 tackles and also made three sacks.

After Michigan State dismissed head coach John L. Smith in 2006, Grantham was one of the candidates to be his replacement. However, Michigan State hired Cincinnati head coach Mark Dantonio.[3]

He was fired on January 11, 2008 after the 2007 season with the Brown's defense ranking 25th against the pass, 27th against the run, and 30th in total-yards-against among 32 teams.

20 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

This feels a little like he is not getting quality coaches with experience to want to coach with him for some reason. 

The put out a list of candidates and he was on the list. So he's one of their top candidates.

I'm fine with whoever Taylor wants.

Give me a guy who's a great coach, hungry and motivated.

I mean "experience in the NFL" just means they've been fired or let go from somewhere else before.

From my 30 year old son in Ohio, who is a Gators fan, after telling him we might steal his DC...

Him: Fuck bags. Better not

Me: Don't you want Gators to be in Cincy?

Him: No. I want a gator to stay a gator. If it's a player who's leaving any way then yeah of course. Stealing a coach though, no. They can get fucked

Me: So I take it you think he's worth keeping in Florida? lol Why don't you ever want me to be happy with the Bengals? lol

Him: Yeah I like him. Go get someone else lol

Archived