Coaching Staff 2019 Changes as they come

16 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

From my 30 year old son in Ohio, who is a Gators fan, after telling him we might steal his DC...

Him: Fuck bags. Better not

Me: Don't you want Gators to be in Cincy?

Him: No. I want a gator to stay a gator. If it's a player who's leaving any way then yeah of course. Stealing a coach though, no. They can get fucked

Me: So I take it you think he's worth keeping in Florida? lol Why don't you ever want me to be happy with the Bengals? lol

Him: Yeah I like him. Go get someone else lol

Georgia fans on on Twitter are calling him 3rd and Grantham. He seems bad. https://www.dawgsports.com/2018/10/28/18034238/georgia-florida-game-2018-3rd-and-grantham

25 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Georgia fans on on Twitter are calling him 3rd and Grantham. He seems bad. https://www.dawgsports.com/2018/10/28/18034238/georgia-florida-game-2018-3rd-and-grantham

They had the 20th ranked defense in the NCAA. But yeah, I'm sure a big name schools in the SEC 

hire "bad" coaches like him all the time. Mostly because they know Zac Taylor might want to consider hiring them.

From my son who is a diehard Gators fan... I mention how you are saying Grantham is "bad"

Well our defense fucking sucked two years ago, and they were legit last year. He transformed Mississippi states defense while he was there too.

I thought he was pretty good at Georgia

Grantham was obviously a somewhat controversial figure for Florida fans before arriving in Gainesville, given his previous choking gesture to Florida’s Chas Henry as a Georgia defensive coordinator and his reputation for blitz-happy (and, accordingly, sometimes porous) defense, but he acquitted himself nicely in 2018, helping to mold a defense without a ton of true blue-chip talent into the nation’s No. 20 scoring defense, No. 28 total defense, and No. 17 defense per S&P+.

And while there’s no logical landing spot for Grantham at the collegiate level as a defensive coordinator, and he’s very well-compensated — he made $1.4 million for 2018-19 — the lure of a head coaching job or an NFL job that comes with similar pay and fewer recruiting responsibilities will always be there for Grantham so long as he remains a competent coach. So this first bit of interest in Grantham at the NFL level is either the first and last instance of Grantham being rumored to head elsewhere, ended by him leaving, or the first of multiple instances of such, with various reasons leading Grantham to stay.

One good reason Grantham might stay, I think, is his son Corbin, currently a high school sophomore who plays both football and baseball and has a decent chance of becoming a significant baseball prospect. Coaches tend to not disrupt the ends of their children’s high school careers if they can help it — though Grantham would be far from the first to uproot a family while scaling the ladder — and the younger Grantham stands a far better chance of being fully developed and recruited as a baseball player in Florida than Ohio.

Of course, the other good reason for Grantham to stay would be money. Florida’s assistant coaches are likely in line for a raise after a surprisingly excellent 2018 season, and it would not be hard to imagine Grantham pushing $2 million per year to keep his salary closer to the top end of SEC defensive coordinators working under offensive-minded head coaches — LSU’s Dave Aranda, Auburn’s Kevin Steele, and Texas A&M’s Mike Elko are all at $1.8 million or above — should such a round of raises come.

And it’s possible that a salary nearing $2 million in Florida, a state with no income tax, will be a better deal based on take-home pay than whatever the Bengals, known as a relatively conservative organization when it comes to expenditures, would offer.

I would expect that Grantham’s situation is resolved sooner than later, no matter what ultimately happens. It strikes me as unlikely that Dan Mullen or Florida wants to get into a bidding war with an NFL team for one of its coaches, and Florida getting through the 2019 recruiting cycle means that the Gators have reached a point in the academic year when contracts can most easily be ironed out.

https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2019/2/11/18220343/florida-gators-todd-grantham-bengals-recruiting-2020-class-softball

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

We're kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.  Fully expect this staff to get a reboot next year, maybe even someone we've heard of if the team shows improvement.

Yeah I tend to agree. When you take a head coach that late in the game them getting a good staff in place is rare. It may take a year or two before he can get a good staff.

18 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Yeah I tend to agree. When you take a head coach that late in the game them getting a good staff in place is rare. It may take a year or two before he can get a good staff.

Would you actually believe he would have "a year or two" of 5-11 seasons, with the fickleness of this fan base and press? 

33 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Would you actually believe he would have "a year or two" of 5-11 seasons, with the fickleness of this fan base and press? 

Don't think it would matter Marvin got 16 seasons and the last 3 have been pretty bad.

28 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That would probably get him 3 years.  

This.

I really don't know what to think about all these new guys.  I am a Bengals fan, I have never witnessed more coaching carnage and hiring of new guys in my lifetime.  What the fuck, strap in your seats ladies and gentleman its gonna be a hell of a ride!  I wanted a new coach, I have no room to bitch 3 weeks in.   

Also, when your coach is in the Super Bowl, you miss out on a few guys.  I will take the Super Bowl experience over a guy or two year 1. 

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I really don't know what to think about all these new guys.  I am a Bengals fan, I have never witnessed more coaching carnage and hiring of new guys in my lifetime.  What the fuck, strap in your seats ladies and gentleman its gonna be a hell of a ride!  I wanted a new coach, I have no room to bitch 3 weeks in. 

Yes! Exactly this!

I have no clue what to expect but at least they're giving it hell....tough to bitch about that.

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Also, when your coach is in the Super Bowl, you miss out on a few guys.  I will take the Super Bowl experience over a guy or two year 1. 

Dolphins coach was in the super bowl. Jim Caldwell, who coached with Brian Callahan is their QB coach. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Dear God please do not go to a 3-4. Outside of Vontaze our linebackers are not good and Vontaze is a question mark due to health. Going to a 3-4 would be a big big mistake.

The other way to look at it is if we go to a 3-4 Lawson for sure, and maybe Hubbard move to OLB.  

18 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Someone's gonna end up in a headlock on the sideline.  Still better than Clappy.

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

Yes! Exactly this!

I have no clue what to expect but at least they're giving it hell....tough to bitch about that.

I think that there is plenty to complain about so far. You don't have to hate something or believe it has to fail to offer it criticism.

You need guys who have actually done the work before, and they are not impossible to get, other teams have them. Every other team has them. Otherwise you spend a ton of time just trying to get the simple things down and can't worry about game planning. How do we put in starting lineups, how do we call challenges etc.  I think they could have avoided a bunch of growing pains.  I'm a BG fan. They hired a guy 4 years ago who was the Texas Tech RBs coach. He had moved up rapidly and didn't have a network of coaches to pick from. He hired a bunch of guys who were in juco or who hadn't been coaches before. It was a mess. Not because they were bad coaches. But because everyone had to learn how to do a whole bunch of stuff instead of already knowing how. Anyone who has ever worked any job knows the importance of this. It doesn't have to be everybody, and the energy and ideas of the young guys are great, but who is there to guide them on the simple day to day things to streamline things? Darrin Simmons will maybe play a big role there. But will that hurt special teams?

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

sorry, I guess I'm more of a wait and see kinda guy before I start in with the bitching..

I'm more of a lets have a discussion with friends on a forum created for discussion while things are happening kind of guy. Not a I have to wait and be right kind of guy. 

Archived