Coaching Staff 2019 Changes as they come

3 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

You have zero clue who any of these coaches are so how can you be so confident that it is going to be s disaster?

I'm glad AVP and Simmons stuck around.   Comfort level with AD & the teams coach has to know the roster as well as anyone.  Both of those guys should ease the transition a little. 

14 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

You have zero clue who any of these coaches are so how can you be so confident that it is going to be s disaster?

Exactly.  Going with a young staff light on experience hasn't been tried before with this franchise and nobody can predict what it's going to look like.  Frankly, if Taylor matches the 8-8 record Marvin had as a rookie, I expect most will be disappointed.  I don't know if that's fair since it would be an improvement from the last three seasons and Taylor is a first year head coach.  All I know is that I can't write him off before we even get to see any results on the field. 

On 3/3/2019 at 8:21 AM, Madieu Superstar said:

I hope you're right that I have zero clue. I hope we go to the playoffs this yr. We shall see. I'm predicting Dave Shula-like disaster and remember, he started off 2-0

With Duffner hire and the other guy they just announced, Taylor's coaching staff is at 22.  It may not be long on experience (generally) but there are more of them than I think this team has ever had before.  That's new, at least, in terms of approach from the front office, fwiw.

I don't really see a downside to adding Duffner to the staff.  He's a veteran coach with coordinator experience and he's familiar with the organization.  His specialty is coaching linebackers and he should be a good resource for the new LB coach.  Fixing our problems at LB is the biggest issue facing the defense, IMO.  It can't hurt to add a veteran like Duffner to help turn things around.  

Duffner coached under LeBeau and with the exception of 1998 (with Boomer) the bigger problems were always on offense.  I think Duffner did a good job developing Spikes, Simmons, and Steve Foley, who were all taken in the '98 draft.  Obviously most of those teams were bad overall.  He at least understands what working for the Brown family entails.  It could be a backup plan to stash Duffner in case Anarumo pulls a Teryl Austin.  I am not expecting that to happen but who knows how it will go.  If Duffner can play any role in fixing the LB corps I will take it.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:55 PM, Sea Ray said:

I hope you're right that I have zero clue. I hope we go to the playoffs this yr. We shall see. I'm predicting Dave Shula-like disaster and remember, he started off 2-0

You’re basing it off of nothing, that’s the point. None of us know anything about this guy or his staff. No one will know anything until we’re in front of the TV watching week 1. 

8 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

You’re basing it off of nothing, that’s the point. None of us know anything about this guy or his staff. No one will know anything until we’re in front of the TV watching week 1. 

Truth

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 6:43 PM, Madieu Superstar said:

I'm basing it off of the principle that experience matters and our coaching staff lacks it. Pop off all you want but don't disappear come December when we can revisit this and see whose tea leaves were correct

On 3/10/2019 at 6:43 PM, Madieu Superstar said:

Eh.. He's not that much of a mystery, he didn't wander out of the woods covered in leaves here.  The Turner hire shows me that what he says and what he does aren't always the same thing. The rest of the coaching staff were also something of a rushed job.  Seems likely that a few of them will not prove themselves up to the task. 

Given his youth & inexperience plus the way Father Brown has protected players in the past, it's not hard to see earning their respect will be difficult. Hopefully Brown learned something from undercutting Marvin's authority but I wouldn't count on it.  

If Taylor is going to take this team to the next level he can't have ownership stepping between him and the players like that.

Taylor may end up being a good coach but I expect what we see on the field this year is to be very much a work in progress.

Archived