OC options and then some

10 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Tangential Connections

1. Darrell Bevell, Ex Vikings and Seahawks OC: Bevell coached under Sherman. He is interviewing for the Jaguars OC job but could have a role as a QBs coach. 

Albert Breer said on twitter Bevell is high on his list.

I had Bevell in the my ideal offseason post awhile back. This was with Bieniemy being the HC because Bevell was his OC in Viking land. Here are my guesses at this point. 

Offensive Coordinator: Darrel Bevell.  Bevell is currently unemployed after years as the OC in Minnesota and Seattle. From what I can tell he likes a balanced offense and a focus on the run. It’s not an overly inspiring choice but he has a long history as an OC and Taylor would put his stamp on it.  

QBs Coach: Klint Kubiak. Kubiak is the Asst QBs coach in Denver and is friends with Taylor from when they were at Texas AnM together.

RBs Coach: Sherman Smith. Smith has been out of coaching for the last year but was Bevell’s RB coach in Seattle for years. He is from Youngstown and went to Miami of Ohio. He is the biological father of Bieniemy’s current RBs coach Deland McCullough. ***I think Jeff Nixon from the 

WRs Coach: Ben Johnson:  Johnson was Taylor's assistant QB coach for the Dolphins when he was there and was the WR coach for Miami last year. Keeping Bicknell makes some sense. The top of the WR unit looks great. I am not sure we have seen the development from the bottom. The WR job seems to be one given to up and comers and future OC's. I don't know that, that is what Johnson is. https://www.miamidolphins.com/team/coaches-roster/ben-johnson

TEs Coach: Jimmie Johnson. Johnson is the current Jets TE’s coach. He was the TE’s coach at Minnesota when Bevell was there. 

OL Coach: Frank Pollack. He has turned a very bad unit into an almost adequate unit and it will only get better with time and better players

STs Coordinator: Darrin Simmons. Simmons stays as STs coordinator. 

It's possible we are keeping both Alex Van Pelt and Bicknell. Bevell has never been a head coach. I would like to see him add Sherman or Callahan as an Assistant Head Coach. 

19 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

He built his deal to be traded or play. I can't remember the details but it's not that simple. 

$20 mil for a backup QB is a bit rich.  Only counts $1.8 mil to cap if he is traded or let go.

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I had Bevell in the my ideal offseason post awhile back. This was with Bieniemy being the HC because Bevell was his OC in Viking land. Here are my guesses at this point. 

Offensive Coordinator: Darrel Bevell.  Bevell is currently unemployed after years as the OC in Minnesota and Seattle. From what I can tell he likes a balanced offense and a focus on the run. It’s not an overly inspiring choice but he has a long history as an OC and Taylor would put his stamp on it.  

QBs Coach: Klint Kubiak. Kubiak is the Asst QBs coach in Denver and is friends with Taylor from when they were at Texas AnM together.

RBs Coach: Sherman Smith. Smith has been out of coaching for the last year but was Bevell’s RB coach in Seattle for years. He is from Youngstown and went to Miami of Ohio. He is the biological father of Bieniemy’s current RBs coach Deland McCullough. ***I think Jeff Nixon from the 

WRs Coach: Ben Johnson:  Johnson was Taylor's assistant QB coach for the Dolphins when he was there and was the WR coach for Miami last year. Keeping Bicknell makes some sense. The top of the WR unit looks great. I am not sure we have seen the development from the bottom. The WR job seems to be one given to up and comers and future OC's. I don't know that, that is what Johnson is. https://www.miamidolphins.com/team/coaches-roster/ben-johnson

TEs Coach: Jimmie Johnson. Johnson is the current Jets TE’s coach. He was the TE’s coach at Minnesota when Bevell was there. 

OL Coach: Frank Pollack. He has turned a very bad unit into an almost adequate unit and it will only get better with time and better players

STs Coordinator: Darrin Simmons. Simmons stays as STs coordinator. 

It's possible we are keeping both Alex Van Pelt and Bicknell. Bevell has never been a head coach. I would like to see him add Sherman or Callahan as an Assistant Head Coach. 

That’s a lot of change.  Hope they upgrade to new iPads for the playbook.  Poor John Ross is gonna have to learn new stuff.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Albert Breer said on twitter Bevell is high on his list.

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I don't know what to think about that. He feels pretty lukewarm. Fired from the Seahawks, Fired from the Vikings. Good enough to get those jobs. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/11/18179431/nfl-coach-rumors-bengals-darrell-bevell-seahawks-news-vikings

vN2QmbEg_bigger.jpg

Coordinator hires are big for young head coaches, and it looks like Bengals front-runner (coach elect?) Zac Taylor is looking at experienced ones. I'm told ex-Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell is high on his list.

Darrell Bevell was unemployed this past season, but was the offensive coordinator for two different NFL teams from 2006-2017. He started off in Minnesota, where he spearheaded the fantastic 2009 season by the Vikings and Brett Favre. 

He then latched on to the Seahawks with Pete Carroll in 2011. He was credited for molding Russell Wilson into a top-caliber NFL quarterback, as well as for scouting him more than others and lauding his abilities to the Seahawks’ front office. 

The Carroll-Bevell-Wilson triad teamed up for a decisive win in Super Bowl XLVIII and another near-win against the Patriots in Super Bowl XLIX. Bevell and Carroll received a lot of heat after that particular loss because of the infamous play-call on New England’s one-yard line at the end of the contest. 

Even so, Bevell is a guy who has been known to made stars out of low-round draft picks and those who are deemed to have lower NFL measurables. Wilson is the shining beacon, while receivers like Doug Baldwin, Ricardo Lockette, Jaron Brown and others became viable threats in the team’s offense in recent years. 

We’ll see if this hire materializes, but it would make for an interesting combination. And, as we’ve discussed a bit so far, this will also have major implications at the quarterback position for the Bengals going forward.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/11/18179431/nfl-coach-rumors-bengals-darrell-bevell-seahawks-news-vikings

vN2QmbEg_bigger.jpg

Coordinator hires are big for young head coaches, and it looks like Bengals front-runner (coach elect?) Zac Taylor is looking at experienced ones. I'm told ex-Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell is high on his list.

Darrell Bevell was unemployed this past season, but was the offensive coordinator for two different NFL teams from 2006-2017. He started off in Minnesota, where he spearheaded the fantastic 2009 season by the Vikings and Brett Favre. 

He then latched on to the Seahawks with Pete Carroll in 2011. He was credited for molding Russell Wilson into a top-caliber NFL quarterback, as well as for scouting him more than others and lauding his abilities to the Seahawks’ front office. 

The Carroll-Bevell-Wilson triad teamed up for a decisive win in Super Bowl XLVIII and another near-win against the Patriots in Super Bowl XLIX. Bevell and Carroll received a lot of heat after that particular loss because of the infamous play-call on New England’s one-yard line at the end of the contest. 

Even so, Bevell is a guy who has been known to made stars out of low-round draft picks and those who are deemed to have lower NFL measurables. Wilson is the shining beacon, while receivers like Doug Baldwin, Ricardo Lockette, Jaron Brown and others became viable threats in the team’s offense in recent years. 

We’ll see if this hire materializes, but it would make for an interesting combination. And, as we’ve discussed a bit so far, this will also have major implications at the quarterback position for the Bengals going forward.

Jaron Brown never played for Bevell. 

5 minutes ago, Sox said:

Interesting thread on Joe Goodberry's Twitter.The Rams run almost the same personnel (1 RB and 1 TE) on almost EVERY play so they don't tip off their plays.They do this 96% of the time.

Retro. Probably don’t have illegal formation penalties either. 

7 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

They also mentioned in the game that McVay spends a lot of his time with each group in practice making sure they know their jobs and the timing and execution of plays. Hopefully Zac learned that from him as well. 

It's so disheartening watching these well coached teams with creative playcalling and solid execution as opposed to what we always seemed to be accustomed to here. It's almost like it always out of the realm of possibility to ever have a truly dominant team here.

Foles is the next Osweiler/Keenum....blows my mind that people want him.

Foles has already been the next Osweiler/Keenum.

Then he actually got better.

He and Keenum have nothing to do with one another. Foles has real NFL arm talent. And Osweiler’s just an asshole.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

There will come a time...and it always does...when defenses (if they are allowed) catch up with whiz-bang offenses. Then Boy Wonders--or Sons of Boy Wonders--do not appear as great as they do in the present.

so what?

should they just kept Marvin? 16 years not enough for ya?

stupid Bengals for trying something new..

17 minutes ago, spicoli said:

so what?

should they just kept Marvin? 16 years not enough for ya?

stupid Bengals for trying something new..

Believe it or not, Spic, constant referrals to ML--change or no change--is not a default setting. 

People going ga-ga over some 30-something passing game coordinator for a franchise being led by another phenom taking advantage of present lax NFL rules, is fine. Just saying, today's phenom--real or perceived--can and does change into tomorrow's run-and-shoot. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Believe it or not, Spic, constant referrals to ML--change or no change--is not a default setting. 

People going ga-ga over some 30-something passing game coordinator for a franchise being led by another phenom taking advantage of present lax NFL rules, is fine. Just saying, today's phenom--real or perceived--can and does change into tomorrow's run-and-shoot. 

He's the QB coach. Waldron is the passing game coordinator. 

12 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I don't think people are going gaga. They are excited for something new. They don't really care if it fails at this point because there is hope that it doesn't. 

Go 2-3 more seasons of going nowhere even near the playoffs, and then see what excitement it brings, or whether anyone cares. 

New wears off pretty quickly. 

6 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Go 2-3 more seasons of going nowhere even near the playoffs, and then see what excitement it brings, or whether anyone cares. 

New wears off pretty quickly. 

Frankly, I think we are 2-3 years away from going back anyway. 

Archived