OC options and then some

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Sort of thought the "failed head coaches"--like Vance Joseph--was why everyone here was turning their noses up at him. Not quite fresh and new enough I suppose.  

just breaking your balls LT..

On 1/22/2019 at 2:43 PM, Le Tigre said:

Sort of thought the "failed head coaches"--like Vance Joseph--was why everyone here was turning their noses up at him. Not quite fresh and new enough I suppose.  

Ppl didn’t want Vance Joseph as Head Coach or DC because he hadn’t been successful at any of it. 

Del Rio’s defensive DVOA ratings as a coordinator:

Carolina, 2002: 3rd

Denver, 2012: 5th

Denver, 2013: 15th

Denver, 2014: 4th

As Head Coach in Jax:

2003: 9th

2004: 10th

2005: 7th

2006: 3rd

2007: 15th

2008: 24th

2009: 28th

2010: 32nd

2011: 5th

As Head Coach in Oakland:

2015: 15th

2016: 22nd

2017: 29th

Del Rio’s resume, while flawed, is still world’s better than what Joseph has accomplished in the NFL so far. 

Is it a perfect hire? No

Is it a good hire? The resume says probably.

We’ll see if it works out. 

Thought exercise - hasn’t any successful OC had to have a day one at that job? It’s not like babies are born , draw their first breath, and start calling plays. Just because a person hasn’t called plays before as OC, doesn’t mean they are going to suck at it. I strongly suspect the same crew here bitching about this would be saying if they had brought in an experienced OC “but he’s failed at his previous stops”...

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Thought exercise - hasn’t any successful OC had to have a day one at that job? It’s not like babies are born , draw their first breath, and start calling plays. Just because a person hasn’t called plays before as OC, doesn’t mean they are going to suck at it. I strongly suspect the same crew here bitching about this would be saying if they had brought in an experienced OC “but he’s failed at his previous stops”...

However, it is reasonable to not think that someone who has been nothing more than a non play-calling QB coach at his last position, is simply by osmosis going to become his present boss at the new position. 

Here’s a crazy idea for OL coach that I would love and might not be completely crazy. 

There is speculation that the SB might be Whit’s last game. He retires and comes with Sac to be the Bengals new OL coach. There was talk that the coaches were so impressed with his knowledge during his combine that he could be a coach. So bring him home to do it!

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

Here’s a crazy idea for OL coach that I would love and might not be completely crazy. 

There is speculation that the SB might be Whit’s last game. He retires and comes with Sac to be the Bengals new OL coach. There was talk that the coaches were so impressed with his knowledge during his combine that he could be a coach. So bring him home to do it!

You need to get this hire right. We’re experimenting at HC and OC. Can’t have any experiments with OL coach 

On 2/1/2019 at 11:09 AM, Jason said:

I'd REALLY like to get a guy on the offensive staff who has been a coordinator,  if not a head man.  I love Whit, but adding a first time coach to that already young staff would make me nervous. 

Archived