Bengals “terrified” they’ll get in trouble over plan to hire Zac Taylor

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/11/bengals-terrified-theyll-get-in-trouble-over-plan-to-hire-zac-taylor/

Bengals “terrified” they’ll get in trouble over plan to hire Zac Taylor

Word emerged on Thursday that the Bengals plan to hire Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor when the L.A. season ends. And the Bengals will now be sweating bullets until the L.A. season ends.

Per a league source, the Bengals currently are “terrified” that the league will investigate whether they violated the constantly-violated rules regarding the making of offers to head-coaching candidates before offers can be made.

That’s how the league often enforces the rules. Sure, plenty of teams break the rules. But that never stops the league from investigating whether one specific team in one specific situation broke the rule, imposing discipline on that specific team for breaking the rule, and ignoring the widely-known reality that others have routinely broken the rules.

Last year, everyone knew that the Colts had offered the head-coaching job to Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, and that McDaniels had accepted. But it couldn’t be official or formal until the Patriots’ season ended, and then the Patriots talked McDaniels (who already was having misgivings) out of going.

The thinking is that other candidates were informed that Taylor is the choice, and that Taylor has informed colleagues that he is the choice. If that’s true, the line may have been crossed, and the electronic paper trial would easily prove it.

So, yes, the Bengals are now worried that the league will come down on them. Even though the league has always looked the other way regarding every instance where that rule was being violated — and where everyone knew it.

TERRIFIED I tell you!

I am sure the league is very busy right now calling the Bengals’ and Dolphins’ front offices explaining to them why the Rooney rule was created and begging them to look at other candidates. 

Replacing 5 black coaches with 5 white coaches and 8 total all being white is a bad look for the league. 

The Bengals did the league a huge favor 16 years ago when then hired a very qualified black coach in Marvin Lewis. 

The league cant be happy with some of these hirings, especially the Kingsbury hire in Arizona.   I would not be surprised to see the league threaten to enforce this rarely enforced rule to remedy this situation. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I am sure the league is very busy right now calling the Bengals’ and Dolphins’ front offices explaining to them why the Rooney rule was created and begging them to look at other candidates. 

Well, they did interview Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph.

I believe that we can all be pretty confident that skin color will have NOTHING to do with who is hired by this front office.

27 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Well, they did interview Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph.

I believe that we can all be pretty confident that skin color will have NOTHING to do with who is hired by this front office.

I am sure every team folllowed the letter of the rule but some not the spirit of it. We probably had legitimate interviews with Hue, Vance and Bieniemy.  I think the Bengals will hire who they think is best for the job that wants it.

The league front office is a different animal. Roger is the one who will have to answer the question why 14 of the last 15 coaches hired were white and the lone minority coach was only given 1 season before being replaced by a marginal college coach(Arizona). 

36 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I am sure every team folllowed the letter of the rule but some not the spirit of it. We probably had legitimate interviews with Hue, Vance and Bieniemy.  I think the Bengals will hire who they think is best for the job that wants it.

The league front office is a different animal. Roger is the one who will have to answer the question why 14 of the last 15 coaches hired were white and the lone minority coach was only given 1 season before being replaced by a marginal college coach(Arizona). 

I can agree with this.  

So, based on the first paragraph, why would you specifically mention the Bengals as receiving a call from the league regarding the Rooney Rule?

“I am sure the league is very busy right now calling the Bengals’ and Dolphins’ front offices explaining to them why the Rooney rule was created...”

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Brian Flores seems to be black. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Mike just kept a minority coach way longer than anyone else admittedly would have. I wouldn't think his process of selection will be questioned.

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

I can agree with this.  

So, based on the first paragraph, why would you specifically mention the Bengals as receiving a call from the league regarding the Rooney Rule?

“I am sure the league is very busy right now calling the Bengals’ and Dolphins’ front offices explaining to them why the Rooney rule was created...”

Simply because we haven’t hired anyone yet.  Same with the Dolphins.  

The league is going to take a lot of heat for the “purge”.  You can bet your ass this will become a hot topic again and it probably should.  

55 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Brian Flores seems to be black. 

Yes he is. 2-15 if he does get hired. I think every AFC east team should hire 3 Patriots coaches every year. Eventually it will collapse.  

12 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

Seems to me the Bengals are safe so long as nothing was officially signed. Mike Brown is very careful about these kinds of things. I doubt anything will come of it

as unclearl said... SOP is an asshole and they hate him.. I could see them fucking him if they can

On 1/12/2019 at 11:42 AM, SF2 said:

Simply because we haven’t hired anyone yet.  Same with the Dolphins.  

The league is going to take a lot of heat for the “purge”.  You can bet your ass this will become a hot topic again and it probably should.  

Why should it? You're not supposed to hire people based on race according to the Equal Opportunity Employment act. Is the NFL exempt? 

What black coaches are being overlooked? And they should be hired because they're black? Joseph, Bowles and Hue just got fired for valid reasons that I don't think anybody would dispute. Marvin stepped down, but would anybody blame a team for not touching him? Bienemy reportedly has a lot of baggage. Wilks got jobbed, but it's not the first time a coach got canned before they had a chance to do anything. He probably deserves a shot. Flores is supposedly going to be hired.

6 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Why should it? You're not supposed to hire people based on race according to the Equal Opportunity Employment act. Is the NFL exempt? 

What black coaches are being overlooked? And they should be hired because they're black? Joseph, Bowles and Hue just got fired for valid reasons that I don't think anybody would dispute. Marvin stepped down, but would anybody blame a team for not touching him? Bienemy reportedly has a lot of baggage. Wilks got jobbed, but it's not the first time a coach got canned before they had a chance to do anything. He probably deserves a shot. Flores is supposedly going to be hired.

I agree with everything you have said but it doesn’t have anything to do with the optics of the situation and how the talking heads in the sports media will react.  5 minorities were let go, 1 after only 1 year in Arizona. 1 was hired. The Stephen A Smiths and Jason Whitlocks if the world will not be happy. 

Archived