Defining Success After Yr. 1 of the Zac Taylor Era

One of my favorite questions to ask an interviewer is, "How do I measure success in this role?" or "How is success defined in this role".  Thinking about that question, in YOUR mind, what will you constitute success for the Bengals this time in 2020?  I think there are a few different categories to look at.

1. Division Record

2. Overall Record

3. Offensive/Defensive Ranks

4. Postseason

5. Organizationally

For me, here's what would make the Bengals and ZT successful in my eyes.

1. Division Record: 3-3.  If we go 3-3 in the division, beating each team once, I think that's a step in the right direction.  Beating Pittsburgh once would already give him the respect of some of the fans that were fed up with Marv's record vs. that team.  Ideally (realistically) I'd like us to go 4-2 in the division, but if we went 3-3 and beat Pittsburgh in PBS, I'd take that.

2.  Overall Record:  9-7.  The overall record has to be above .500.  This would hopefully keep us in playoff contention throughout the season, and it's a building block for a young, first-time head coach.  This would help all of the players buy in and hopefully some free agents. 

3. Offensive/Defensive Ranks:  Offense - Top 10, Defense - Top Half.  Hiring a young offensive mind means the offense SHOULD be ahead of the defense.  We have enough pieces to be a good offense, but they guys in a favorable scheme and the should flourish.  On D, we have some nices pieces, but a lot of holes, especially at LB.  Get a strong coordinator and have these guys playing hard and fast and field an average defense.

4.  Postseason:  If we don't make the playoffs it would be disappointing, but I'd be encouraged if 1 - 4 above happened.  Injuries, bad calls, etc. can all contribute.  If ZT lays a strong foundation I'll be encouraged.

5.  Organizationally:  Many of us remember the Bengals of the '90s before Marv got here...it was a dark time to be a Bengals fan.  For all of Marvin's faults, he made this organization one that players didn't mind playing for.  He gained MB's trust and was able to do things coaches here couldn't' do before, from basic necessities (towles, new jock straps, etc.) to hiring your own coaching staff, to having a defacto GM.  He brought us in from the 70s to the 2000s.  Hopefully ZT doesn't lose those abilities, but gains some more.  I'd like to see at least one move that signals that.  Whether it's signing a big FA, or trading draft picks to get a significant player in the draft.  Trade up and get Haskins, trade AJ, cut Burfict, etc.  Not saying he should do THOSE things, but something that shows he's got control of this organization and is making moves that will make/keep us competitive in 2019 and moving forward.  I'd like to see us using more analytics and some of the technology other teams are using.  They may be doing some of that stuff now, but I don't believe it's up to par with other teams.

Thoughts?  How would you define success for ZT in year 1?  Superbowl or bust?  Beat Pittsburgh twice, but go 2-14?

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Clock management and play calling after the two minute warning.

Like I said in a different thread, this is the kind of change I will be looking for right away.  It's not dependent on the roster or scheduling.  Preparation, consistently playing fundamentally sound football, eliminating the drive-killing penalties under pressure, good decision making based on down & distance, using the players we do have effectively..  That's all stuff a HC can establish from the start.   He's taking over what has become a very complacent roster & I think there are some cancerous players in that locker room that will need to be smoked out.  The record might suffer with some growing pains but get that right and the wins will follow.  

40 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Like I said in a different thread, this is the kind of change I will be looking for right away.  It's not dependent on the roster or scheduling.  Preparation, consistently playing fundamentally sound football, eliminating the drive-killing penalties under pressure, good decision making based on down & distance, using the players we do have effectively..  That's all stuff a HC can establish from the start.   He's taking over what has become a very complacent roster & I think there are some cancerous players in that locker room that will need to be smoked out.  The record might suffer with some growing pains but get that right and the wins will follow.  

Yeah, this is kinda where I'm at too.  It's less about number of wins, division record, or specific goals.  It's more about an attitude, fundamentals, and getting the players to perform at a high level consistently.  We gave Marv 16 yrs to achieve mediocracy, so I can be patient with the amount of changes that seems likely at this point.  With that said, I have to give Marv some props though, he brought us out of some dark times.  It's just time to move on and I like the changes.

13 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

No clapping, no giggling, no dumbass cliches, 

Yep, I'll add...No blank stares, no head bobbing as he's running off the field, no head-scratching dumbass stuff, no status quo.

1 hour ago, esjbh2 said:

Yep, I'll add...No blank stares, no head bobbing as he's running off the field, no head-scratching dumbass stuff, no status quo.

No "scholarship/redshirt" players.  Open camp at any position & the guys that show up every day make the team, the PUP list is the CUT list.  

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Team that is fun to watch and going in the right direction.

A modern, up-tempo offense will be fun to watch even if we don't yet have the players for it to be consistent.   We've already had the most exciting offseason in decades with no Bratfailski or Ketchup the Klown types left over to burden the new HC.  Simmons & the few position coaches left seem happy to stay in their lane for now & I assume have Taylor's blessing

Depends on if we have a rookie QB and the status of AJ. 

If we roll with Dalton and AJ is healthy I expect to see nothing less than nine wins. Dalton should have a career high year and show much improvement. 

Also expect to see zero fockery. Like having the #1 QB lined up out wide and someone else taking the snap. I'm fine with someone else taking a snap here and there but take the #1 out the game. Having him line out wide is just a wasted man on the field. 

14 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Clock management and play calling after the two minute warning.

Yes, and overall discipline. Like do they seem to know what they're doing. The defense this yr under Austin did not seem to know what their assignments were. In Dick Lebeau's first game our offense takes the field for the first time and they call a time out because they were so screwed up. Not good. I don't want to see much of that

9 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Team that is fun to watch and going in the right direction. If they choose to tear down but build correctly I don't care if we only win a hand full of games. I don't think that's what they will do. 

100% agree

I think we need to realize that when you fire a coach and bring in a new one you are in rebuilding mode. I know there is talent on this team, but that's the short end of it.

Too many unknowns right now to quantify anything. After the draft things will become a bit more clear on where this team is going and how we plan to get there.

For me initially, is if I can get some gauge on what internal FO changes are happening whether its personnel changes or role changes?  Is MB still the final decision maker or are the kids doing more of that? How much authority will be given to the new HC and his staff?  What players get cut and who stays?  What direction does the draft take?  Do we actually make a move in FA?

I guess I want to see if it is just the same ole MB crap with a new face at HC or if it is truly somewhat a new beginning?

Shouldn't we at least get the guy in here first before talking about expectations?

Hell by the time the Rams are out of the playoffs, he could have a complete change of heart and turn the job down.

It's just not wise to put the cart before the horse, IMO.

45 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Shouldn't we at least get the guy in here first before talking about expectations?

Hell by the time the Rams are out of the playoffs, he could have a complete change of heart and turn the job down.

Extremely valid point...hopefully we're not jinxing the whole deal here.  We've been burned many times in the past with wishes, promises, and what was "going to" happen, but didn't actually materialize.  Cautiously optimistic, but I'm still holding my breath.

11 hours ago, spicoli said:

I think as fans we can talk/dream about anything we’d like to. If he had a change of heart, we move on to another thread. 

My only criteria ever is - the team is fun to watch and you get a feeling as a fan that they at least have a good chance in every game.  In 2005 and 2015 that's obviously how the Bengals were, as well as a couple of the other winning seasons (even if they did squeak into the playoffs, or even miss the playoffs, in some of those others).  I'm hoping Taylor can at least bring that sense to the team. 

How can he do it, based on how the Bengals have operated of late?  How about: no "bend but don't break", "skin of your teeth" wins and you're just praying player X and Y can last the entire season or you know it's over.  No more thin depth under the guise of "building through the draft" (sorry, building through the draft should not include drafting based on "expected need because we're going to low-ball that guy".  BPA and keep your damned good players around until they're truly "done"!  Do not overpay for "merely adequate"!).  And of course as others have said, I am optimistic that we'll finally see real NFL-caliber clock management and adjustments.

Archived