Uniform change

Something different to discuss. With a new coaching regime coming in, seems like the perfect time to rebrand the Bengals. That could include a new logo, uniform, and marketing. 

With the frugal owners we have it’s not likely, but I think it could be another reason to get people excited about the team again. What do you folks think?

15 minutes ago, palmer4mvp said:

Something different to discuss. With a new coaching regime coming in, seems like the perfect time to rebrand the Bengals. That could include a new logo, uniform, and marketing. 

With the frugal owners we have it’s not likely, but I think it could be another reason to get people excited about the team again. What do you folks think?

Hell yeah, I love that idea!

I think they have backed themselves into a corner with the current look and the best we could hope for is that they finally fix that absurd white jersey panel.

I'd be happy with simply returning to the 80's look.

I read somewhere that The Browns are changing again and going with white helmets. Could that possibly be true?

Haven't heard anything about white helmets, but they most likely are going to change back to the much more traditional look. 

Any uniform changes have to be approved by the league (and, in the background, by Nike). This isn't the NBA--where you can have a different one for each day of the week. 

43 minutes ago, BENGALS666 said:

I think they have backed themselves into a corner with the current look and the best we could hope for is that they finally fix that absurd white jersey panel.

I'd be happy with simply returning to the 80's look.

I read somewhere that The Browns are changing again and going with white helmets. Could that possibly be true?

No way... I would be truly shocked if that happened

The helmet change is even harder:

DATE: August 22, 2013

SUBJECT: Throwback Uniform Helmets Our Head, Neck, and Spine Committee, chaired by Drs. Hunt Batjer and Richard Ellenbogen, and the Player Safety Advisory Panel, chaired by John Madden and Ronnie Lott, have recommended that players no longer wear different helmets as part of a “Throwback” or "Third" uniform. Our office supports this change and has reviewed it with the chairman of our Health and Safety ownership committee, Dr. John York, who concurs with this recommendation. We have communicated the change to those teams that are planning to wear throwback uniforms for at least one game this season. Teams may continue to wear throwback uniforms under league guidelines, but players must wear their regular helmets. The outside of the helmet can be modified by removing or replacing decals, as long as it does not affect the integrity of the helmet. The committees believe that a cautious approach to the changing of helmets is an important best practice for player safety. This change is consistent with numerous changes we have made in recent years regarding uniforms and equipment.

cc: Club Equipment Managers

Please please please please get rid of the current unis, they  look like they were designed by Helen Keller. WAY to busy. Keep the helmets and use the template of Packers/Bears/Eagles/Redskins etc..  Keep it simple. And while I'm dreaming, bring back the tiger running the football. That would be effing awesome.

The Browns white helmets are an unfounded Internet rumor.  As for the Bengals, I don't see the helmet going anywhere, but the costumes needed to go 15 years ago.  There's a deadline that has to be met to file with the league for changes, so the earliest they could change would be 2020.  Let's hope it happens.

It's too bad the Bengals paint their stripes* on the helmets.  Otherwise, they could rip them off twice a season and bring out the 1970s uniforms.  I'd love to see those on the field again.  There's no reason they couldn't throw back to the 80s now, and that needed to have been happening all these years.

*  I've been told that they actually start with a black helmet, tape off the stripes, paint it orange, then remove the tape, revealing the black stripes underneath.

I wonder if Marvin absconded with that inverted helmet that was in his office. Sorry Marvin, we're going to need that back. 

And I agree about the color rush unis. That orange helmet just looks stupid atop the all white and black color rush unis. A black and white striped helmet would look killer with those.

12 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

I wonder if Marvin absconded with that inverted helmet that was in his office. Sorry Marvin, we're going to need that back. 

And I agree about the color rush unis. That orange helmet just looks stupid atop the all white and black color rush unis. A black and white striped helmet would look killer with those.

Yes. If they could change the helmet to match the color rush uni's it would look really sweet.

2 hours ago, Bunghole said:

that would look amazing.

10 hours ago, BENGALS666 said:

Yeah, I recall that article, but I thought the headline on the Uni Watch article was beyond misleading.  It was based on this one line from the article:  "A source has said that the Browns are seriously looking at replacing the plain orange helmet with a plain white one."  The ESPN writer just repeated that quote (among other parts) verbatim. 

The Browns were foolish to mess with it in the first place.  Tradition has worked very well for the Colts, Packers, Cowboys, Stealers, Bears, and several other franchises.  It would have been fine for the Browns, as well.  Maybe they thought it would break them out of their losing rut, but that's obviously nonsense, as well.

I'm down for a new logo. The current one looks like it was created with Windows 95.

Can we make the black jerseys on black pants our standard home unis? That about all I would change in that department. 

Our helmet stripes are the best of all time. No need to change anything there. 

On 1/15/2019 at 1:27 PM, palmer4mvp said:

It's what they did when they hired Marvin Lewis. It won't surprise me if it happens again.

And we've gotta stop talking about the "frugality" of the Browns. That is an outdated narrative that is flat out incorrect. 

Seems to be two reasons, from what can be deduced on the blogs: they had to wear their yellow horns/St Louis uniforms in 2016. In 2017, the league gave them a two-year allowance to use 1/2 and 1/2--at their discretion. Also, the helmet doesn't change--they just change the decals from yellow to white, and back again.

They are the home team in the SB I believe, so probably they go with the yellow horns/St Louis look.

Archived