The Taylor-Whitworths vs Some Team from New Orleans Thread

3 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

And that was AFTER the helmet-to-helmet and/or defenseless receiver.  Boomer/Norman just went off about that play and officiating this year in general on the halftime show of the Pats/Chiefs game.

I'm glad he's saying something, but OTOH it's kind of bullshit to blame the officials without talking about the league that hires & instructs them.  It's not like they're the Supreme Court or something, these are employees. 

Unbelievable.  So, several clear PI penalties NOT called...then when KC needs a play they call one that's not even close to as severe as the previous no-calls?  Then the no-call on a pick play?  I admit I'm not clear on when they can call the pick or when it's legal, but goddam if that's legal then we should do it every play next year.

And here goes Brady.  Interesting indeed.

5 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Unbelievable.  So, several clear PI penalties NOT called...then when KC needs a play they call one that's not even close to as severe as the previous no-calls?  Then the no-call on a pick play?  I admit I'm not clear on when they can call the pick or when it's legal, but goddam if that's legal then we should do it every play next year.

From what I've seen, the offense will get away with it most of the time. It's one of those vague things where the refs are asked to judge intent, IIRC the wording is the receiver can't "initiate contact" but if you stack receivers and they all run short routes.. The defender can't impede them either. So really, it's who the fucks knows until a flag appears.  As is tradition.  

1 hour ago, esjbh2 said:

And here goes Brady.  Interesting indeed.

Couple that with the bonehead announcers saying stuff like "ahhh they're lettin' 'em play!", or "eehhh there was nothing there, it's fine".  Meanwhile, "letting them play" in this context is: defenders can hold a receiver by the shirt as he runs up the field, tugging as necessary to slow him down so he can't even get to the ball let alone try to catch it.  Constantly.  And "nothing there" is grabbing the receivers back shoulder so he.. can't catch a back-shoulder pass.  It was being laid on so thick I have to think "someone" told them they had to try and calm the "oh man these calls are shit" sentiment that had been flying around all day.

But Payton wasn’t finished: “But when we go to these league meetings, and we sit as an ownership group, and we don’t further evaluate the replay system, you know there’s too much at stake. And it’s, listen, it’s a hard job for those guys because it’s happening fast. But I don’t know if there was ever a more obvious pass interference call and here it is in the NFC championship game. It’s a hard one to swallow.”

Preaching to the choir (except the NFL doesn't listen). So easy to fix, but the avarice of this league will not allow for any changes which might interfere with their programming schedules. 

European soccer has a system: VAR (video assisted referees). In this replay system, ALL game-changing on-field decisions are reviewed--including penalties. It works. 

3 hours ago, whodey365 said:

Yup its time to allow penalties or non calls to be reviewed. Not calls like false start but that NFC P.I. non call should be reviewable. Yikes that was bad.

The issue is simple:  Pass interference can, and many times is a HUGE game deciding penalty.  15 yards minimum and automatic first down but it can be 30 or 50 yards.  The Stealers most likely missed the playoffs because of a phantom PI call verses the Saints in week 16.  Karma came back to bite the Saints and pretty much cost them a Superbowl trip.  We are talking about season deciding calls. 

It is only a little less brutal than a Red Card in soccer which gives the fouled team a huge advantage being a man up (11 v 10 ).  A completed catch for 5 yards can be challenged but a 40 yard pass interference call or no call can't?   Its bullshit. 

20 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Couple that with the bonehead announcers saying stuff like "ahhh they're lettin' 'em play!", or "eehhh there was nothing there, it's fine".  Meanwhile, "letting them play" in this context is: defenders can hold a receiver by the shirt as he runs up the field, tugging as necessary to slow him down so he can't even get to the ball let alone try to catch it.  Constantly.  And "nothing there" is grabbing the receivers back shoulder so he.. can't catch a back-shoulder pass.  It was being laid on so thick I have to think "someone" told them they had to try and calm the "oh man these calls are shit" sentiment that had been flying around all day.

Woah now! Hey! Are you implying that a billion dollar entertainment business might try to force a narrative to protect their income?  GTFO of here crazy person with your tinfoil harness.

Archived