The Taylor-Whitworths vs Some Team from New Orleans Thread

3 hours ago, A Rock said:

Paying him would've been the smartest money they could have spent. Can you imagine the team letting Anthony Munoz walk back in the day? Left a gaping hole on the O-line, and the soul of the team.

To a degree..they did let him "walk"--or he "walked" on them. He retired due to an injury (1993 IIRC)..then "unretired" the next year to play for Tampa. Didn't last long, he "retired" again not that long after. The Bengals never tried to get him back--so it's all on them. 

:ph34r:  

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

To a degree..they did let him "walk"--or he "walked" on them. He retired due to an injury (1993 IIRC)..then "unretired" the next year to play for Tampa. Didn't last long, he "retired" again not that long after. The Bengals never tried to get him back--so it's all on them. 

:ph34r:  

Remember, he retired the year after Sam Wyche was fired and David Shula was hired.  Munoz only played 8 games that year and was hurt. 

Sam went to Tampa and asked Anthony to play for him. By all accounts Munoz was having a good training camp until he reinjured himself. Hung it up after that. 

Also, this was a few years into the reign of Mike Brown. Munoz bailing and going to Tampa after 1 year with Shula was the first warning sign. 

7 hours ago, A Rock said:

Paying him would've been the smartest money they could have spent. Can you imagine the team letting Anthony Munoz walk back in the day? Left a gaping hole on the O-line, and the soul of the team.

It makes perfect sense if you consider how well Ogbuehi pours ketchup. 

14 hours ago, SF2 said:

Remember, he retired the year after Sam Wyche was fired and David Shula was hired.  Munoz only played 8 games that year and was hurt. 

Sam went to Tampa and asked Anthony to play for him. By all accounts Munoz was having a good training camp until he reinjured himself. Hung it up after that. 

Also, this was a few years into the reign of Mike Brown. Munoz bailing and going to Tampa after 1 year with Shula was the first warning sign. 

Many people say 2002 was the worst season ever, but I found 1993 to have been at least equally depressing, if not worse. 

Some similarities with this past season and the lead up to '93: long-time HC and staff getting bounced, and thrusting a resurgence on a young, completely untested, replacement. The teams of '93 and the present one, are/were getting older and the replacements are marginal at best. I see a repeat of 1993 coming up.

58 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Many people say 2002 was the worst season ever, but I found 1993 to have been at least equally depressing, if not worse. 

Some similarities with this past season and the lead up to '93: long-time HC and staff getting bounced, and thrusting a resurgence on a young, completely untested, replacement. The teams of '93 and the present one, are/were getting older and the replacements are marginal at best. I see a repeat of 1993 coming up.

Jesus. As sad as anything you'll read today - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/1993_roster.htm

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

You could be right about this year, I do not know.  One difference if u remember is that 1993 was when David Klingler became the starting QB.

We still have Dalton....good or bad.

Being an out of towner with not much news access back then, I always felt Sam's popularity was what really got him fired because MB felt he was a threat to the throne.  Do you have any insight about those days?

54 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

You could be right about this year, I do not know.  One difference if u remember is that 1993 was when David Klingler became the starting QB.

Being an out of towner with not much news access back then, I always felt Sam's popularity was what really got him fired because MB felt he was a threat to the throne.  Do you have any insight about those days?

More a case of Sam wanting more GM powers and Mike Brown simply firing him for floating the idea.  4 days later, Shula was promoted to HC after being the receivers coach for 1 year.   Even Shula was surprised by this. 

After that, Boomer demanded a trade so the genius that is Mike Brown decided on David Klingler.  The rest is history. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Valid concerns for sure. Wyche was HC for 7 years and went to the Super Bowl though. I feel like this franchise literally had no choice but to move on from Lewis. 16 years without a single sudden death win. A shake up like this might feel like a Hail Mary in the present tense, but my biggest hope is that it's a step in the right direction. What could they do? Extend Marvin? That's like punting late in the 4th down by 2 scores instead of taking a shot, something Marvin did this year. I hope we hit bottom last year. 

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

1991 was a tumultuous year for the franchise in general. The team was fading fast--due to aging stars and little in the way of replacements. Although the last "playoff win" was in 1991, the team just wasn't progressing--and it was feeling more and more as training camp developed. It definitely hit home after the first 8 games--all losses. Sam was getting out in front of his players and acting as a shield--much as he did in 1990--with the press. He was combative, said controversial things--the quote in my sig line came at a presser after the Washington game that early season. It was one of the best soliloquies I have ever seen from any coach/anywhere/anytime. He completely shut the press up--and especially Paul Daugherty, whom he called out publicly. I wish I could find the complete transcript--I had a copy of it years back, but it has vanished. Sam just generally made himself the target of the fan/press hatred. He was anything but "popular" in that season.  Whether he was "fired" or "left on (his) own" is something we may never know for sure. Not certain MB felt any threat from him, all things considered. PB loved him, and MB worked with him for a lot of years, so my impression was that the "change" after the 1991 season, was sort of like now: people were mad and wanted something done.  

Probably had a bit to do with it. Doc IIRC was a beat writer for the Post. He had tried to bait Sam in some prior articles, alleging that his players were soft and didn't give 100%--and it was all due to coaching (doesn't THAT sound familiar?). At this particular presser, Sam went out of his way to point out that "guys had laid it all out on the field...in the locker room getting IV's". He then asked "is that clear enough for the Cincinnati Post?". A little later on, he chided Doc for "sitting in the back of the room, talking shit". 

Like i said, an absolute brilliant soliloquy. I know I have to have the transcript somewhere. If I ever find it, I will post it here. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Probably had a bit to do with it. Doc IIRC was a beat writer for the Post. He had tried to bait Sam in some prior articles, alleging that his players were soft and didn't give 100%--and it was all due to coaching (doesn't THAT sound familiar?). At this particular presser, Sam went out of his way to point out that "guys had laid it all out on the field...in the locker room getting IV's". He then asked "is that clear enough for the Cincinnati Post?". A little later on, he chided Doc for "sitting in the back of the room, talking shit". 

Like i said, an absolute brilliant soliloquy. I know I have to have the transcript somewhere. If I ever find it, I will post it here. 

Sounds epic.  All it lacks is someone calling Chick Ludwig a creepy little jock-sniffer.

Archived