Interesting note from the Senior Bowl

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

Kyle Caskey, Jonathan Hayes, and Bill Lazor were all seen with the rest of the Bengals entourage at the Senior Bowl.  🤔

Well that's disturbing.  People we publicly claim to have fired are scouting for a draft they don't get to be part of? 

Sounds like some Redeemin' going on.

I suppose fan/squawking head media disgraced former position coaches--well experienced in evaluating football talent--have absolutely no value in scouting capacities, if that is what they have been rehired to do? Or does that require "fresh and new" as a part of the resume? 

1 minute ago, Le Tigre said:

I suppose disgraced former position coaches--well experienced in evaluating football talent--have absolutely no value in scouting capacities, if that is what they have been rehired to do? Or does that require "fresh and new" as a part of the resume? 

Er..  What?

"Hey you're all fired, but before you go.. Can you all work really hard and do a super good job on making sure your replacements have what they need to succeed?"

Yeah I don't see the problem, how silly of me.

Could be as simple as "we are going in another direction. It doesn't look like the new head coach wants to retain you in your current position. We appreciate your sevice and wondered if you would be willing to stick around in a scouting capacity until the next staff is settled. If you have other options please feel free to move on and we wish you luck." 

I think it's rare in the NFL but this is a perfect scenario for it to happen. Coach isn't settled yet. Coaches haven't gone on to new jobs yet. Family based team that loves loyalty. 

58 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Perhaps I wasn't clear: maybe they have been "re-hired" (or never dismissed from the organization) to the scouting end? It does happen. 

Anyway, you are not the "throw all babies out with all bath water type",  so fan/squawking head media is not you

Well.. As a fan, I reserve the right to squawk.

I don't know what they're doing there if not scouting for the Bengals, and that stinks.  They need to get all those guys, the Hues and the Bobs and Juniors all their nieces and nephews the fuck away from here.  Send them to Belize, spray some Lysol in their offices and repave the parking spaces.  Yes, it's all very sad for them but move the hell on with Taylor and his staff.

I can only hope this was one of those done deals where the old coaches were somehow locked in to going well in advance. 

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I don't know what they're doing there if not scouting for the Bengals, and that stinks.  They need to get all those guys, the Hues and the Bobs and Juniors all their nieces and nephews the fuck away from here.  Send them to Belize, spray some Lysol in their offices and repave the parking spaces.  Yes, it's all very sad for them but move the hell on with Taylor and his staff.

I can only hope this was one of those done deals where the old coaches were somehow locked in to going well in advance. 

OK...guess you are throw-all-the-babies-out-with-all-the-bathwater. 

"Taylor and his staff". Sounds fresh and new. 

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

agreed...jesus christ

wouldn't surprise if the Bengals did pay their way and some fee for "scouting services". The announcements, IIRC, were "fill in name, is fired as fill in position". Doesn't mean they're not still retained by the organization is some other capacity. You never worked anyone that was promoted past their competence? Doesn't mean they don't have valuable skills. And if my interpretation is correct, the coaching business is brutal and having networks is crucial.

14 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

OK...guess you are throw-all-the-babies-out-with-all-the-bathwater. 

Pretty much.  The only coaches worth keeping have quit, that should tell us something.  

"We're cleaning house! New coaches, new leadership, a fresh new direction for the franchise!  Bright future! Out with the old, in with the new!"

Meanwhile, at PBS:

stevemartinjerk.jpg

Clever. Please do not confuse me with someone who actually gives a shit who comes and goes in that building. 

Until the day that Boy Wonder's name is known by AverageFan in Topeka--meaning sufficient coin is being generated for the league--the franchise will still be as relevant as the Sacramento Kings in the overall scheme. 

You, of all people, should already know this. 

12 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Clever. Please do not confuse me with someone who actually gives a shit who comes and goes in that building. 

Until the day that Boy Wonder's name is known by AverageFan in Topeka--meaning sufficient coin is being generated for the league--the franchise will still be as relevant as the Sacramento Kings in the overall scheme. 

You, of all people, should already know this. 

I think we're more like the McRib or something like that.  Sure it's never going to be the Big Mac but you still put it on the menu every once in a while just to keep those McRib people happy customers.

In other words, we could lose to the Pats in the Super Bowl just as well as anyone.

Archived