Bengals personnel exec: “We’re very comfortable with” Andy Dalton

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 24, 2019, 8:57 AM EST
gettyimages-1064053802-e1548338178683.jp
Getty Images

The Bengals are in a bit of a state of limbo, as they wait to be able to hire their head coach after the Super Bowl.

But whenever Zac Taylor takes over, there’s reason to believe he’s not going to be in a rush to replace their quarterback.

Via Fletcher Page of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin said the evaluation of Andy Dalton was still a positive one.

“We’re very comfortable with Andy,” Tobin said. “We think he’s got a number of years left. We feel like we can win with him. But with any position group, we don’t just throw away the whole draft board at a group just because we’re satisfied with who we have. We’ll evaluate them and look at them and see if there’s an opportunity to add a guy at every position.”

That’s far from a commitment to Dalton beyond the two years left on his contract, as this seems like a decent time for a team with a new young offensive guru on the way in the door.

But he’s good enough, and affordable enough ($16 million this year), to serve as a bridge to the future for a team. The Bengals have the 11th overall pick in the first round, but there’s no need for them to make a definitive declaration about the future until Taylor shows up to put his imprint on the place.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/24/bengals-personnel-exec-were-very-comfortable-with-andy-dalton/

3 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Too true. 

BTW--did Boy Wonder have any input in the drafting of Jared Goff? Just curious. 

Yep, coaches rarely talk about replacing a player, until they actually replace them. Something about counting chickens and eggs.  Paxton Lynch would be the poster child for premature replacement talk. 

3 hours ago, fluhartz said:

this is just talk...that's why he threw in there we evaluate every position.

What do you expect them to say?? Andy sucks, we can't wait to dump his sorry ass.

I was thinking something along the lines of "we want a QB really bad,  so you better move ahead of us in the draft if you want one".

3 hours ago, SmoothD said:

He will be released or traded

You're dreaming. Ownership is "very comfortable with Andy", just like they are "very comfortable" with 8-8 seasons and "very very comfortable" with the lifestyle provided by an NFL franchise's guaranteed income.  That golden goose is doing just fine, thank you.

17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You're dreaming. Ownership is "very comfortable with Andy", just like they are "very comfortable" with 8-8 seasons and "very very comfortable" with the lifestyle provided by an NFL franchise's guaranteed income.  That golden goose is doing just fine, thank you.

you're kinda depressing aren't ya, T ?

4 hours ago, SmoothD said:

He will be released or traded

We've done some stupid things but that might top them all.  I think Dalton is towards the top end of the middle of the pack - not great / not bad.

I do think he's good enough if we build a good team around him. Careful what you wish for. It took the Brown's over a decade to find (maybe) a good starting QB along with many other teams. The road to ruin is littered with the next great QB - even our own: Akili Smith / David Klingler.

I have no problem drafting who we think might beat Andy out but we better know that before we move on.

BTW - no offense SmoothD

Yeah, comment in context reveals no specific level of commitment. Matter of fact, it provides plenty of cover for if they’re truly planning to hand the keys over to Zac Taylor.

Over the past couple seasons we’ve seen a distinct lack of Mike Brown-influenced decisions and if the kids are assuming the keys to castle, they might be humble enough folks to know that they can’t pretend to assemble and provide direction for a professional football franchise. I hope we see a total transition to a Tobin/Taylor dominated roster.

And then, I hope they do a good job.

by no means a draft wonk like some on this board, but my understanding is the 2019 QB class is one of the weaker ones and 2020 not just an above average but with some underclassmen that might declare a damn good one. So unless Haskins falls to them, I don't see QB rating higher value than LB or lineman.  Either way this year or next I see them taking a QB to sit behind Andy for a season or two.

IMO, the bigger need is a replacement for Driskel.

4 hours ago, HOF dan said:

We've done some stupid things but that might top them all.  I think Dalton is towards the top end of the middle of the pack - not great / not bad.

I do think he's good enough if we build a good team around him. Careful what you wish for. It took the Brown's over a decade to find (maybe) a good starting QB along with many other teams. The road to ruin is littered with the next great QB - even our own: Akili Smith / David Klingler.

I have no problem drafting who we think might beat Andy out but we better know that before we move on.

BTW - no offense SmoothD

None taken.

I'd still take Foles over Dalton if the price was right

6ZZOxVv.gif?1

5 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I don't think Dalton is a problem. Plus he's very cap friendly for his position.

Spend the money on some much needed difference makers and we're good.

The question is will they actually spend the money? 

I am thinking more as a replacement for Driskel. New Offense, playbook, etc. Might as well draft a new guy (or maybe FA).  Later rounds.   Driskel is just far too inaccurate. 

Nothing we draft at QB will be better than Dalton this year. 

7 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Nevermind. Google showing weak ass cousins at $28m for 2019 and Dalton2.0 Alex Smith at 23m.   I might actually appreciate Dalton a lil more now.

It’s a catch 22.  Dalton doesn’t suck and isn’t overpaid.  He isn’t Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes either.  Any competent Front office knows the odds of drafting a better QB than Dalton, particularly in this draft, are very low even at pick 11. 

Of the 5 drafted in round 1 last year, only Mayfield had decent numbers and he was the overall #1. And please nobody say Lamar Jackson. 75 yards passing per game plus 54 yards rushing equals 129 yards per game of offense from your QB. That is garbage and 83 less than Dalton’s rookie year. 

Dalton’s rookie year was far better than the rest in every metric available and he took over a team that went 4-12 the year before. We got got the hot chick’s cute friend which is fine in a pinch. 

11 hours ago, SmoothD said:

None taken.

I'd still take Foles over Dalton if the price was right

6ZZOxVv.gif?1

Yeah, that would be interesting.  Eagles on hook for $20.6 mil next year for Foles which is last year of current deal.  Hard to believe they will pay that for a backup.  We would definitely have to get rid of Dalton.  $37mil at the QB spot is a non starter.  It doesn't cost us anything to get rid of Andy.  Foles would need to probably be signed to a deal which would be VERY expensive.   

The best team he could go to would be Jacksonville.  Their problem is they have -$5mil in cap space.  Yes, that is NEGATIVE $5mil.  I actually think we could swing this but I doubt it would ever happen.

They are paying Wentz $8.5 mil this year 4 of rookie deal.  2020 option will be expensive.  

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Not getting the Foles is God stuff. He's a latter-day Frank Reich...a great relief pitcher. He absolutely bombed in St Louis when given the full-season try. And...GASP!!...he's 30!!!  

I don't think he is God at all.  I just think he is money in big games. At St. Louis, other than Gurley, he had Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin as his receivers.  He also had fantasy nightmare Jared Cook as his tight end.  481 yards receiving, 0 TDs.  Don't forget, he had the legendary Jeff Fisher as his head coach.  Somebody wrote a song about Jeff Fisher sung to the famous Jenny song:

867-7674...,

867-7674..., 

867-7674..., 

867-7674.   

Jeffy,...Jeffy,  your record really sucks.  Jeffy,...Jeffy, finally your hitting the ROAD!!!

The phone number was the number of wins his last 7 years.  Wish I could claim that but I heard is sung once on local sports radio.  Pretty funny. 

I don't think it will ever happen but 4-2 in the playoffs, 98 rating, one of the greatest performances I have ever seen in a Superbowl make SF2 go hummmm??

Archived