Bengals personnel exec: “We’re very comfortable with” Andy Dalton

Current CBS mock draft has Dwayne Haskins falling to the Bengals at 11.  I dont think it will happen but who knows.  I watched very little college ball this and never watched one OSU game this year and never saw Haskins play.  I know he seems to be this years talk of the town QB.  Is he that good?  What would be the boards opinion of taking Haskins at 11 if he was available?

I think Andy is ok.  Maybe even win a SB with him with the right team around him.

At the same time having a good but cheap QB on a rookie deal would allow the Bengals to rent some good vets like the Rams and Chiefs did.

IMO, Haskins has top of the draft overall talent...he just lacks experience.

I think he's well worth the pick at 11 as long as you know going in that it's a long term investment....as talented as he is, he's nowhere near ready to be a NFL starting QB in year one.

5 hours ago, spicoli said:

IMO, Haskins has top of the draft overall talent...he just lacks experience.

I think he's well worth the pick at 11 as long as you know going in that it's a long term investment....as talented as he is, he's nowhere near ready to be a NFL starting QB in year one.

= not a top 10 (or #11) draft pick IMO.  Plenty of raw athletes with less hype in the later rounds.

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

OK...what was his excuse in KC the following season?

Like I said...Frank Reich. A-much-better-than AJ-you-know-who. Big game Rich Gossage in the 9th shut-down go-to. 

No 16-gamer. 

He was the backup behind pro bowl QB Alex Smith. He won the two games he played when Smith was hurt with a 105 rating. The Chiefs were 12-4 that year. 

He was 4-1 this year as the starter with a 96 rating and 282 yards per game passing. 

Dalton is  a no big game or playoff QB.  Foles evicerated the Patriots in the Super Bowl last year as well as the Vikings in the NFC Championship. 

22 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Not getting the Foles is God stuff. He's a latter-day Frank Reich...a great relief pitcher. He absolutely bombed in St Louis when given the full-season try. And...GASP!!...he's 30!!!  

I’m with you. I never have been impressed with him.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

He was the backup behind pro bowl QB Alex Smith. He won the two games he played when Smith was hurt with a 105 rating. The Chiefs were 12-4 that year. 

He was 4-1 this year as the starter with a 96 rating and 282 yards per game passing. 

Dalton is  a no big game or playoff QB.  Foles evicerated the Patriots in the Super Bowl last year as well as the Vikings in the NFC Championship. 

You keep making my point for me: Frank Reich. Big-game/Mariano Rivera/shut down master.

16-game seasons are not classified by the amazing-moment stuff game-by-game. Ask the guys he has played behind. Also, ask why he plays behind the guys he has played behind. 

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

You keep making my point for me: Frank Reich. Big-game/Mariano Rivera/shut down master.

16-game seasons are not classified by the amazing-moment stuff game-by-game. Ask the guys he has played behind. Also, ask why he plays behind the guys he has played behind. 

He has never been anointed the starter of any team other than the Jeff Fisher shit show.  Why do you assume he couldn’t play 16 games?  In 2013 he was 8-2 as the starter in Philly after Vick shit himself and Foles took over.  LED THE TEAM to the playoffs and barely lost to the Saints in a wild card game.  In that playoff game, Foles threw for a touchdown and led the team to 17 second half points an only lost by 2 points.

Andy Dalton has never led the Bengals to a 2nd half touchdown in the playoffs.  In 4 games he has engineered 6, 2nd half points.  His playoff record is 0-4, 1 td, 6 ints, 57.8 rating.    Foles is 4-2, 98.8 rating, 11TDs, 6 ints, and a fucking Super Bowl ring.  Andy Dalton is choker, Foles rises to the occasion.  

I would rather take my chances with Foles, he doesn’t piss himself in big games. He CAME back in the 2nd half against the Bears, THIS YEAR,  ON THE ROAD, against the BEST defense in the NFL and threw 2 TD passes to win.  That is 1 more TD pass than Dalton has thrown in his entire playoff career.   

Lastly, Andy Dalton has not played in a playoff game in 4 years, Foles hasn’t WON a ROAD playoff game in 21 days. You seriously think Andy Dalton has any actual playoff experience that doesn’t include him pissing himself?

The new coach is NOT an idiot.  He, like everyone else knows Dalton can’t win big games.  He wil try to replace him soon. 

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

He has never been anointed the starter of any team other than the Jeff Fisher shit show.  Why do you assume he couldn’t play 16 games?  In 2013 he was 8-2 as the starter in Philly after Vick shit himself and Foles took over.  LED THE TEAM to the playoffs and barely lost to the Saints in a wild card game.  In that playoff game, Foles threw for a touchdown and led the team to 17 second half points an only lost by 2 points.

Andy Dalton has never led the Bengals to a 2nd half touchdown in the playoffs.  In 4 games he has engineered 6, 2nd half points.  His playoff record is 0-4, 1 td, 6 ints, 57.8 rating.    Foles is 4-2, 98.8 rating, 11TDs, 6 ints, and a fucking Super Bowl ring.  Andy Dalton is choker, Foles rises to the occasion.  

I would rather take my chances with Foles, he doesn’t piss himself in big games. He CAME back in the 2nd half against the Bears, THIS YEAR,  ON THE ROAD, against the BEST defense in the NFL and threw 2 TD passes to win.  That is 1 more TD pass than Dalton has thrown in his entire playoff career.   

Lastly, Andy Dalton has not played in a playoff game in 4 years, Foles hasn’t WON a ROAD playoff game in 21 days. You seriously think Andy Dalton has any actual playoff experience that doesn’t include him pissing himself?

The new coach is NOT an idiot.  He, like everyone else knows Dalton can’t win big games.  He wil try to replace him soon. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11732640

You are right...what does QB Yoda Andy Reid know about him...I mean, he has him on his rosters twice, and never took advantage of him for full seasons? 

I'm being facetious, of course. But all things being equal (or not), having Al Hrabosky/over 30/expensive Nick Foles participate on a team that most likely won't have "big games" for the foreseeable future, compared to the Franchise 2nd all-time leading passer/over 30/inexpensive Andrew Dalton, isn't much of a needle mover. 

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

You are right...what does QB Yoda Andy Reid know about him...I mean, he has him on his rosters twice, and never took advantage of him for full seasons? 

I'm being facetious, of course. But all things being equal (or not), having Al Hrabosky/over 30/expensive Nick Foles participate on a team that most likely won't have "big games" for the foreseeable future, compared to the Franchise 2nd all-time leading passer/over 30/inexpensive Andrew Dalton, isn't much of a needle mover. 

He did take advantage of him, he replaced Michael Vick and Foles took them to the playoffs.  Foles was the starter in 2014.  He went 6-2 until he got hurt. 

Your second point is a good one. Paying Foles a lot of money to be on a rebuilding team may not be the best option.  

45 minutes ago, SF2 said:

He did take advantage of him, he replaced Michael Vick and Foles took them to the playoffs.  Foles was the starter in 2014.  He went 6-2 until he got hurt. 

Your second point is a good one. Paying Foles a lot of money to be on a rebuilding team may not be the best option.  

Why are we so sure this team is going into a full blown rebuild? I’d say quality pieces that are lacking are far fewer than not. A lot of the guys are in the building, I think they likely need just a huge culture shift (which is coming). 

I don’t want them reaching, but I want them to address offensive line and linebacker in the offseason. If they do that and these guys can wrap their heads around what Taylor has in store for them, they can become competitive in what is about to be a softer than usual division.

Anytime a foundation is torn out--good/bad/indifferent--there is going to be a rebuild. Boy Wonder's foundation building--good/bad/indifferent--will not be done in one offseason (if it even happens before Stephen A Smith and Fantasy Football Nation start calling for his head). This is a 5-11 franchise in 2019 regardless of what takes place before the season begins, or who is at QB. 

3 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Why are we so sure this team is going into a full blown rebuild? I’d say quality pieces that are lacking are far fewer than not. A lot of the guys are in the building, I think they likely need just a huge culture shift (which is coming). 

I don’t want them reaching, but I want them to address offensive line and linebacker in the offseason. If they do that and these guys can wrap their heads around what Taylor has in store for them, they can become competitive in what is about to be a softer than usual division.

In 2017, Sean McVay becomes the youngest head coach in history and takes a team that hasn't had a winning record in 10 years to 13-3, and a playoff berth. It is now his second season and he's in the Super Bowl. Is THAT kind of miracle likely in our future? Of course not. Just saying, like the 4 minute mile, once something thought impossible is done, it becomes more possible. As an NFL fan, the only thing funner than loving my team (Bengals), is hating their main rival (Stealers). If we go 2-14 next year, as long as those two wins are against Pukesburgh, we'll have won two "big games" at least.

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Anytime a foundation is torn out--good/bad/indifferent--there is going to be a rebuild. Boy Wonder's foundation building--good/bad/indifferent--will not be done in one offseason (if it even happens before Stephen A Smith and Fantasy Football Nation start calling for his head). This is a 5-11 franchise in 2019 regardless of what takes place before the season begins, or who is at QB. 

Agree to disagree.

This was likely a playoff contending team if not gutted by injuries. If healthy it’s hard to imagine them 5-11. I’d consider 5-11 a pretty disappointing campaign.

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Can't really argue with that.  A good draft and some A-B tier free agents could push it to 8-8.

6 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Esiason thinks a new coach will energize Andy Dalton's career....

I guess we will see. I don’t see a scenario where Andy isn’t the starter next year unless he gets injured. 

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

I guess we will see. I don’t see a scenario where Andy isn’t the starter next year unless he gets injured. 

Exactly - this is actually a great situation for Taylor, he will have a very good QB to work with and assess. If they feel they need an upgrade, it can be planned for the medium term not the short term .

Archived