Former Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis will cover AAF with NFL Network this spring

17 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

What do you mean by "counting out" Logan Woodside? Playing in the NFL? In his last game as a Toledo Rocket he completed 16 passes for 124 yards, zero TDs, 3 INTs. We all saw him in preseason NFL games. He's an OK MAC QB. Is that what we can expect in this league? OK MAC QBs? I want to like it but that's not going to hold my interest. I'm going to need to see players working their way into the NFL

I see. 

Some of these guys will be AAF lifer's. Like Woodside for instance. Not quite good enough to make the NFL but could have a solid if not great AAF career.  I will be a fan of watching such stories play out. 

I can't believe they didn't put a team in Louisville. Our little minor league soccer team or whatever they are sells out every game at slugger field. They're building a millions of dollars stadium just for this soccer team. 

Meanwhile we have one of the most beautiful football stadiums in the country sitting empty from around October to August every year. 

Attendance here would be very high. Hell just name the team the Cardinals, people would love it. 

Yawnnnnnn

Former Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was in booth last night for Alliance of American Football action between the Arizona Hotshots and Salt Lake Stallions. If he was as lifeless as a coach as he was as a broadcaster, it’s a miracle he lasted 16 years in Cincinnati. 

The game was easily the most exciting of the four AAF games of the league’s debut weekend, with Arizona winning 38–22, but Lewis’s color commentary made it sound like a funeral. No matter how exciting the play, Lewis barely raised his voice. This miraculous escape by Stallions quarterback Matt Linehan didn’t seem to impress Lewis much. 

Former Arizona State DT Will Sutton gets the sack! pic.twitter.com/Y4bqC8KvBW

— #NobodyDied (@ftbeard_17) February 11, 2019

The second video, where Lewis blandly says “That’s what he does” is equally subdued. 

One of the great things about the AAF is that players are mic’d up in the huddle, so you can hear the play call before they run it. As a coach, Lewis is able to translate that into regular English, but with 5% of the enthusiasm Tony Romo has. 

Marvin Lewis with his Tony Romo moment. pic.twitter.com/uXiMqRlQXU

— #NobodyDied (@ftbeard_17) February 11, 2019

Viewers picked up on Lewis’s comatose delivery and roasted him on Twitter. 

Marvin Lewis brings the energy you'd expect from a head coach who never won a playoff game in 16 years.

— Alex Kozora (@Alex_Kozora) February 11, 2019

Marvin Lewis described picking up 6 yards running on 2nd & 10 as a huge play. That's how coaches think

— Kevin Cole (@Cole_Kev) February 11, 2019

My goodness listening to Marvin Lewis is like listening to mama reading a bed time story.#AAF

— Mikey Moore (@_mikeymoore) February 11, 2019

Marvin Lewis is color commentating like he got the news that his dog died right before the first play. 😕

— James Williams (@YmmyYames) February 11, 2019

Lewis will have two chances to redeem himself next weekend, calling games in Birmingham on Saturday and San Diego on Sunday. The San Diego game starts at 8 p.m. ET, if you want to plan your bedtime accordingly. 

6 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

I can't believe they didn't put a team in Louisville. 

For a league that plays in February, it's probably as much a weather issue as anything.  They seem tti be focused on warmer weather cities and those with domes. I think I recall them talking about one off the more northern teams not having a home game for like a month,  and IIRC it was father south than Louisville. 

On 2/13/2019 at 9:05 AM, Girevik said:

For a league that plays in February, it's probably as much a weather issue as anything.  They seem tti be focused on warmer weather cities and those with domes. I think I recall them talking about one off the more northern teams not having a home game for like a month,  and IIRC it was father south than Louisville. 

This is what I would assume if not for a team in Utah. 

Wish we could see what sites were considered. Who's on the list for possible expansion teams or teams moving.  Atlanta and Memphis look like they could possibly go winless which will assumably result in horrific attendance numbers. Perhaps they will be looking to move a team or two for next season. 

I see that we had a big XFL2louisville Twitter thing. Looks like we completely missed the boat on AAF. 

XFL is screwed. "Ya gotta be quicker than that." With March madness I see room for only one spring league. Back to the drawing board for them. Please note the much higher attendance in areas w/o a NFL team as you have almost all your teams going to NFL saturated markets.  The time of year between bball and football would be much better for xfl. Compete against MLB for viewers. Let AAF players play in xfl summer league too. Don't hate against. Work in compliment.  

• 2 weeks later...

Mediocre Marv is a joke on here.  He talks about plays that were great calls and were the same ones his Bengals were burnt on for 16 years.  The pass to the open TE after acting like he is blocking and goes out for a pass, he says, a great designed play.  😂  What an Idiot!  I am so glad this clown is gone! The great thing, the other commentators don’t take his shiat like he is King like the media did.  I don’t hear him laughing or giggling like he did at press conferences.  

On 2/11/2019 at 10:40 PM, Catfish Bob said:

Anyone watch the game Marv announced?

Towards end of first half. 

Marv was like "they are going to have to use their last timeout."

Afterwards QB gets ball snapped super fast and they score a TD and leave like 9 seconds on the clock.

I haven't watched any of this... but did that really happen?

lololololoololoololollolololool  

even if it didn't.. good one 

18 hours ago, fluhartz said:

I haven't watched any of this... but did that really happen?

lololololoololoololollolololool  

even if it didn't.. good one 

Yeah man 

Marvin said it.

Then the QB got um lined up real quick, snapped the ball got the touchdown and left time on the clock. 

Kinda felt bad for the dude. His first try at being a tony Romoisk predicter was a total failure and pretty much summed up why he is now in the booth and not on the sidelines. 

20 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

You are going to have a blast during the next year with the new HC, eh TJ? Remove one name, put in another. :AreYouSerious2-min:

He deserves a chance before I make judgement.  Does he not deserve a chance?  You know as well as anyone ML should’ve been gone years ago.  We know MFB only made change because seats were not being filled.  I have said this how many years this must be done for MFB to make a change?  Plus, I am sure the League owners probably told him to do it because he was not carrying his weight in revenue.  The little secrets we will never know what happens behind closed doors.  I wanted change and I will give this guy a chance.  What can it hurt?  More losing seasons?  😂 

14 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

He deserves a chance before I make judgement.  Does he not deserve a chance?  You know as well as anyone ML should’ve been gone years ago.  We know MFB only made change because seats were not being filled.  I have said this how many years this must be done for MFB to make a change?  Plus, I am sure the League owners probably told him to do it because he was not carrying his weight in revenue.  The little secrets we will never know what happens behind closed doors.  I wanted change and I will give this guy a chance.  What can it hurt?  More losing seasons?  😂 

agree with every single thing in this post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 9:48 PM, Le Tigre said:

Going the way of the WFL--but even it at least lasted a season. Watched half of a half, and that was enough. Terrible product. 

Horrid. The NFL already has a FREE minor league football system, it’s called NCAA Division 1. 

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

So this opens up Marvin to explore more NFL head coaching options.

:ninja:

Does he still live in Cincy? I thought I had read a while back that he built a nice place in Arizona...

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

Wow! Who saw that coming?

Damn, I bought 20 Championship finals tickets I thought I was going to scalp so I could buy a bowl of soup.  Now I am out $40 bucks. 

The product was crap. I didn't think it'd work out but even I'm amazed they folded this soon. Why not play your playoff games? It must have been one screwed up league despite all the rosy press it's gotten. Don't believe the press. I don't give the XFL much chance either

Archived