Taylor picked Bengals over Broncos and Cardinals, OFFICIALLY our new Head Coach

Zac Taylor, Brian Flores to finalize contracts with Bengals, Dolphins on morning after 2019 Super Bowl

The Rams QBs coach and Pats defensive coordinator will be flying on the morning after Super Bowl LIII

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor will fly to Cincinnati with his agent early Monday morning to begin contract talks with the Bengals to become their next head coach, sources said. Patriots linebackers coach Brian Flores will be heading to Miami, in the meantime, to finalize his deal to become head coach of the Dolphins.

Both moves have been widely anticipated for weeks now, with both teams having to wait until they were finished coaching with their current teams to finalize deals. While Taylor has yet to negotiate a deal, and the team has not reached out to his agent, sources said, that process will begin in earnest tomorrow. He has already been assembling a staff to join him in Cincy, with Raiders quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan joining him as offensive coordinator, and former NFL head coach Jack Del Rio a favorite to become the defensive coordinator.

Super Bowl LIII is Sunday and you can stream it here on CBSSports.com and the CBS Sports App for free on most connected devices.

Flores will be bringing several of his assistant coaches from the Patriots with him as well, with former NFL head coach Jim Caldwell assuming a significant position on the offensive staff. Both young coaches are duplicating a model put in place in Los Angeles by wunderkind head coach Sean McVay, who tabbed former head coach Wade Phillips to be his defensive coordinator and assume heavy duties on the side of the ball that the head coach had less expertise with.

Taylor, 35, was also hotly coveted by the Broncos and Cardinals, sources said, and would have had a strong opportunity to land those jobs, but was focused on the Bengals opportunity. League sources said the Cardinals and Broncos were raving about their interviews with Taylor. But the Bengals have significant offensive talent in place, Taylor previously coached at the University of Cincinnati, and the Bengals have the most accomplished quarterback of those teams in Andy Dalton.

Despite having just turned 33, and having been a head coach for just two years, McVay's coaching tree is already growing and several people close to that staff believe Taylor is the best prepared to have immediate success. He worked very closely with breakout quarterback Jared Goff, who has taken major strides since McVay and his staff took over the team.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/zac-taylor-brian-flores-to-finalize-contracts-with-bengals-dolphins-on-morning-after-2019-super-bowl/

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Anyone else a little nervous about this? I probably shouldn't be but with Mike Brown you just never know.

Nah.......that doesn't worry me.

I'm stoked too, hearing that not only the Bengals were blown away by his interview but the Broncos and Cardinals as well. Must be something pretty impressive there.

44 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

He has ties to Callahan, Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman. I am cautiously optimistic here that we have a good plan. 

word on the street is jim turner could be the bengals next offensive line coach. and that jacob burney could be retiring. 

8 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

So much for the shit spread by the media that the Bengals were a suck job for head coaching candidates

To be honest, if I were a young, unproven coach, I’d pick the Bengals too. They kept Shula around for what seems like way too many seasons, and their patience with their HC is well known. Therefore, he doesn’t have to fear learning on the job and getting canned before he can prove himself. If nothing else, this will be a good resume builder for him regardless. 

8 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

So much for the shit spread by the media that the Bengals were a suck job for head coaching candidates

Actually, most pundits (not all) said the Bengals job was a good one because you get time to implement your plan, you were not desperate to bring in a QB day 1 and we had most of the defensive pieces (not all) in place.  Arizona was considered a terrible place, they only kept their last coach 1 year.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

Anyone else a little nervous about this? I probably shouldn't be but with Mike Brown you just never know.

You wouldn't think that ZT would totally commit unless details were already ironed out and this is just a formality. But then again, Mike Brown and fucking up are historically synonymous.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

I gotta admit, that makes me uneasy as well.  Probably for nothing but it would be embarrassing for him to leave without a contract because he was lowballed. 

Archived