Taylor picked Bengals over Broncos and Cardinals, OFFICIALLY our new Head Coach

58 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I would challenge you to go around Cincinnati (or Dayton, or anywhere) and ask John Q AverageFan if they have even heard of this guy? Next ask them--even if they slightly have some recognition--if this is going to anymore motivate them to run to PBS and plunk their cash down on season tickets. 

Not anymore than John Q AverageFan in Miami is going to suddenly swell their park on the news that some nameless LB coach from New England (whose name I don't even know) is arriving. 

Only wins will give PBS full seats--and only then. 

Naw, anybody who's into NFL football enough to actually buy tickets is going to be watching NFL.com, ESPN, reading the internet sports stories, etc., and can't come away with anything but high hopes for the Bengals' future, the way Taylor presents himself and the media portrays him.

Not sure if this info is made public, but I guarantee you there'll be a big uptick in ticket sales come this fall. If nothing else, everbody's going to be curious if this kid wonder's got the goods, or is just another good talker.

Zac Taylor is about as personable and appealing as anyone you'd want to see as your head coach. He says all the right things in all the right ways, but will those personality traits translate into an effective, winning NFL head coach? Obviously, it remains to be seen, but in the meanwhile Bengal fans are being treated to an extended period of good vibrations. It may all come crashing down in October with Cinci sitting at 0-6 and one of our LBs tweaking Taylor's cap on national TV, but until then I'm going to enjoy the vibe.

1 hour ago, Duluoz said:

Naw, anybody who's into NFL football enough to actually buy tickets is going to be watching NFL.com, ESPN, reading the internet sports stories, etc., and can't come away with anything but high hopes for the Bengals' future, the way Taylor presents himself and the media portrays him.

Not sure if this info is made public, but I guarantee you there'll be a big uptick in ticket sales come this fall. If nothing else, everbody's going to be curious if this kid wonder's got the goods, or is just another good talker.

Good sidestep. The involved fan will, of course, be interested. But those types--if local/regional--are already purchasers, and would be regardless of who puts on the headset.

What you are assuming, is that the jaded/disinterested sometimes fans, are going to suddenly change their minds, and start buying. Plus, the more than casual types, making up even more of the deficit. 

I still maintain that John Q Average Fan doesn't know who this guy is--and won't be in a buying mood until such time as wins come into play.  

11 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Good sidestep. The involved fan will, of course, be interested. But those types--if local/regional--are already purchasers, and would be regardless of who puts on the headset.

What you are assuming, is that the jaded/disinterested sometimes fans, are going to suddenly change their minds, and start buying. Plus, the more than casual types, making up even more of the deficit. 

I still maintain that John Q Average Fan doesn't know who this guy is--and won't be in a buying mood until such time as wins come into play.  

Which is the case with every NFL franchise.  So, who cares really.

Whatever his scheme, whatever his plans for the personnel, I hope he tailors (pun intended) the play calling and planning to the players' strengths instead of trying to fit the players into his scheme. I don't want to see Gio running up the middle and trying to be a bruiser. 

From Peter King

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/10/julian-edelman-patriots-mvp-nfl-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatwking#on-the-players-coalition

New Cincinnati coach Zac Taylor, on what he learned about Cincinnati, and about the arch-conservative Bengals organization, that convinced him that this was the head-coaching job he wanted above all:

“So I’m an Oklahoma guy, a midwestern guy, and [in 2016] I coached a season at the University of Cincinnati, and my wife and I fell in love with the city. It’s the place for us. And after my interview with the Bengals, I knew this was the job for me. A couple of things I learned. It’s a loyal organization. The Brown family is very big on loyalty in a cut-throat, bottom-line, dog-eat-dog league, when often you might just get two years to turn a program around. I just felt this was the right place at the right time. They hadn’t changed coaches in 16 years, and if they were going to change, this organization had the values I embraced.

“A lot of coaches wouldn’t look at this place the way I did among the jobs that were available this year. For me, this would be close to the number one job.

“No. This IS the number one job. It’s exactly what I want in a coaching job, everything I hoped for.

“One of the things I learned in my time as an assistant is you need to prepare this book about what you’d do if you got an interview to be a head coach. Your staff, your schedules, your philosophy, everything. You put it together, and it becomes a big book. So in this process [interviewing for the Bengals job], I sat there … and I never opened the book. I just talked to them. No, wait. I did open it once, in three interviews—to pull out a schedule I would be using. They just wanted to know what I believed, and how I’d be standing in front of 53 men, in front of 90 men [at the start of training camp].

“My father-in-law is [former Packers and Texas A&M coach] Mike Sherman. His best advice to me: ‘Be yourself.’ That’s what the Bengals are going to get.”

So, there goes the notion that no decently talented person would ever want to come to Cincinnati because of it being a small, shitty market.

Zac wanted the job precisely for a lot of the reasons myself and a couple others here outlined. This wasn’t Zac’s second or third choice...it was his first. He wanted this job *because* it’s a small market. He liked the talent in the building. He likes the culture of the town. 

Is it September yet?

On 2/13/2019 at 11:07 AM, thezerawkid said:

So, there goes the notion that no decently talented person would ever want to come to Cincinnati because of it being a small, shitty market.

Zac wanted the job precisely for a lot of the reasons myself and a couple others here outlined. This wasn’t Zac’s second or third choice...it was his first. He wanted this job *because* it’s a small market. He liked the talent in the building. He likes the culture of the town. 

Is it September yet?

Probably more a function of more time to implement his vision, way less media oversight, pretty decent roster for a team switching coaches and already has a starting QB who doesn't absolutely suck or will be an unknown rookie or 2nd year "hopefully he improves". 

Archived