If you were the Bengals, would you bring back Tyler Eifert in 2019?

37 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I would bring him back like last season under a similar contract, but draft a stud TE 2nd round or so and/or bring in a vet. I would take a chance on him again, but with more insurance than last year. 

I agree, although I might try to slide a team option in for a 2nd year.

24 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

I agree, although I might try to slide a team option in for a 2nd year.

I like that idea.

If (and we all know it's a rather big if at this point) he stays healthy - he's as good as any in the league. Plus he's a great security blanket for Andy.

One might even assume that he will get hurt again, but if he doesn't, it's a whole different offense. If he does, then have somebody ready besides Kroft. I like Uzomah, but he's not a premiere catching TE, but is really good on the other side of one.

19 hours ago, Hooky said:

I would bring him back like last season under a similar contract, but draft a stud TE 2nd round or so and/or bring in a vet. I would take a chance on him again, but with more insurance than last year. 

Nah man, $5.5 mil for a guy who has played 28 games in 5 years ?  Pass   If he wants to come in with an incentive driven contract maybe but he is just taking away valuable preseason snaps from the guy who will eventually take over the position after a few games. 

20 hours ago, Hooky said:

This, although I wouldn't draft a TE until round 4 or so. Too many other needs (barring FA signings :24:).

2 hours ago, gupps said:

This, although I wouldn't draft a TE until round 4 or so. Too many other needs (barring FA signings :24:).

I hear you on the FA signings, but maybe in lieu of the pleasantly unpredictable moves made so far this off-season, maybe that will change too.

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Nah man, $5.5 mil for a guy who has played 28 games in 5 years ?  Pass   If he wants to come in with an incentive driven contract maybe but he is just taking away valuable preseason snaps from the guy who will eventually take over the position after a few games. 

agreed..

as much as I like him and think he is a beast when he is healthy.

he just never is.. no fault of his own, gets hurt every year

He's worth a roster spot but not a big contract. If he's willing to take a cheap base rate plus incentives for playing time and production, then fine.

Were those rankings that had Eifert as #2 and Uzomah high on the list? I wouldn't think Uzomah would be expensive to bring back. Not sure how he ranks ahead of James. 

My thinking is bringing back Eifert depends on how much ZT plans to mimic the Ram's offense.  I read that in 2018 the Rams ran an 11 personnel offense

over 90% of their snaps in 2018.

Even tho Eifert was on a one year prove it deal he was still paid $5.5 million.  And Kroft and Uzomah might be fine in Taylor's plan.

Maybe draft a rookie if one falls at the right place.  I say let Eifert walk. 

1 hour ago, gupps said:

Here's Eifert's injury history:

https://www.sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/tyler-eifert/6680

Its not like it is filled with a lot of BS "strained hamstring" crap, there's some serious stuff on there. He can't continue to be this unlucky can he?

The other question is will he be anywhere close 2014 Eifert?  It was a pretty bad injury. 

7 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Did you watch his production this year prior to the injury?

Pretty productive production.

I also watched him get carted off the field after having his ankle snapped in 2 over 4 months ago. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

No.  They need to draft a TE.  Eifert will only take practice snaps away from a young TE until he again is injured.  Move on.

Also the Rams were a 3 receiver team plus Gurley out of the backfield.  They didn't lean on the tight ends very much only getting 600 yards out of the entire position.   No reason to drop another $5.5 mil on Eifert, we would be better off getting a legit  blocker who can spring Gio and Mixon on those swing passes.  Those guys are far less expensive.

This should be the greatest opportunity in the world for John Ross.  Everyone starting from scratch so its put up or shut up time for him. 

Archived