If you were the Bengals, would you bring back Tyler Eifert in 2019?

3 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Sure it is.

$5 mil is what Vernon Davis, the fifteenth highest paid TE in the league will make in 2019. And, who is saying it should be another $5 mil. I think I mentioned $3-4 mil and that would put him down among the 17-20th highest paid, the Darren Fells's and Ryan Griffin's of the league. So, you get a healthy season (or even mostly healthy, would be acceptable from a modern TE), top ten output for lower tier money. 

Highly incentivized, less guaranteed money, again, because his upside is FAR higher than what the lower half of the league tight ends offer, by a long shot. Roll the dice and give the dude one more shot. After all, it's just money, and we always have plenty left over. And, added bonus, it ain't *your* money being spent.

You really wanna keep doing this? Because, I'll keep going. You're not going to convince me, nor are you going to wear me down to your way of thinking. I've already offered up a respectful agree to disagree parting from this discourse.

Vernon Davis has averaged 15.5 games per season over the last 11 years.   He has missed 6 games during that run. He is there to block, SHOW UP and be a team leader in the locker room.  Besides, if what the Washington Redskins do is now the benchmark, the Bengals are screwed. 

I already said I don't care if they sign him to a cheap contract with big incentives but I don't think its a very good idea to give him basically $3.75 mil guaranteed again.  I highly doubt many, other than maybe Dalton, care too much for the highly paid over the last 2 seasons china doll.  Its just the nature of an athlete.  If he goes somewhere else and plays well, so be it. 

He is a top 10 TE on a per game average when plays.  He is nowhere near a top 10 TE on a per season basis.  Even in 2015 he was 12th in yards per game.  His 13TDs led the league but that was simply an outlier.

If he gets 3.5M gtd and doesn't play a snap, he accounts for 1.9% of the salary cap. It's such a small amount, If it doesn't go to him...it's just getting rolled over to next year and then the year after and so on. Spend money and give your quarterback a 6'6 red zone and 3rd down weapon. Limit his snaps. He's caught 66% of his passes for first downs and I suspect that number is low due to the amount of touchdowns he's caught. He moves the sticks and catches touchdowns at a pretty elite rate. 

3.5M dollars is probably what Malik Jefferson is going to make over the life of his 4 year contract playing special team snaps.

23 minutes ago, JC said:

If he gets 3.5M gtd and doesn't play a snap, he accounts for 1.9% of the salary cap. It's such a small amount, If it doesn't go to him...it's just getting rolled over to next year and then the year after and so on. Spend money and give your quarterback a 6'6 red zone and 3rd down weapon. Limit his snaps. He's caught 66% of his passes for first downs and I suspect that number is low due to the amount of touchdowns he's caught. He moves the sticks and catches touchdowns at a pretty elite rate. 

3.5M dollars is probably what Malik Jefferson is going to make over the life of his 4 year contract playing special team snaps.

How about they just get a good tight end that can play most of the downs?  A guy that can take the majority of snaps in practice instead of waiting for Eifert to breakdown and then learn the position during actual games?  Here is a question for you:  How many other team do you know operate like this?   

12 minutes ago, SF2 said:

How about they just get a good tight end that can play most of the downs?  A guy that can take the majority of snaps in practice instead of waiting for Eifert to breakdown and then learn the position during actual games?  Here is a question for you:  How many other team do you know operate like this?   

This is not possible, as the Tight End became extinct in late 2015.  Tyler Eifert is the last of his kind and must be protected.  PBS should be rededicated as a national wildlife refuge for the preservation and habitat of Tyler Eifert.  The idea that you could simply replace him somehow is insulting and wrong.  

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Here’s a question for you: How many every down right ends are playing 16 games a football season. Travis Kielce. George Kittle. Zach Ertz. That’s about all I’ve got. Good luck finding one that is a playmaker and penciling him in for every game of the season. Must be pretty cheap in free agency or the draft since they’re a rare commodity!!!!

maybe they are extinct11111

11 minutes ago, JC said:

Here’s a question for you: How many every down right ends are playing 16 games a football season. Travis Kielce. George Kittle. Zach Ertz. That’s about all I’ve got. Good luck finding one that is a playmaker and penciling him in for every game of the season. Must be pretty cheap in free agency or the draft since they’re a rare commodity!!!!

maybe they are extinct11111

I'm pretty sure there are more than 3 TE's that suit up for more than 4 games a year.

Tyler is that you?

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I'm pretty sure there are more than 3 TE's that suit up for more than 4 games a year.

Tyler is that you?

58 TEs played in 15 games or more this season. 34 played more than 500 snaps this season.  

500 total snaps is 31 snaps a game. Why is that the baseline? The bengals averaged  67 snaps a game and that was the lowest in the nfl. I imagine Tyler was playing more than 31 snaps before he snapped his ankle. 

Tyler played 41%/60/65 in his first three weeks. Probably would have stayed around the 60-65% around the year. Something roughly 15 tight ends did on high volume. Projecting but you can’t tell me that A: effective ones grow on trees and we should be able to go pluck on easily in the draft/FA B:3.5M will be spent on a more effective player. Only one of those guys (Jared Cook) will be available in free agency and he will be at least double that price.

44 minutes ago, JC said:

B:3.5M will be spent on a more effective player.

Literally any player likely to make it through the season is more effective.  But for me it's not about the money, it's about wasting so much time and energy on this one guy like he's that much more important than all the others. It's about stubbornly refusing to accept the hard truth in favor of some rainbow unicorn fantasy where somehow the house loses if we just keep doubling down on a bad bet.  It's organizational stupidity & a big part of why we're in the hole we're in.  

If I'm Kroft or Uzomah, why the hell would I want to sign here for back-up money and ride the bench while waiting for The Chosen One to predictably get hurt again & make me the starter?  Letting him relax through TC while the rest of the team are busting their asses & then we wonder why we don't get consistent effort out of guys, or why our rookies are failing to catch on.  

I'm just repeating myself here but if we bring this guy back for 2019 it's a clear sign that Ol' Musty is still more worried about earning Good Boy Points than a championship & the front office is still trying to win that 2015 WC game. 

Its not like we were the only team trying to sign him last off-season. It's not like Mike is trying to make sure he has health care. I'd wager he will have a decent market this year as well.

The 2014 and 2018 injuries were fluke bullshit. I won't argue 2016/2017. Stats are stats and 81% of his catches have either gone for a first down or touchdown. Is that worth risking 2% of the teams salary cap? Probably. If Tyler Kroft or CJ Uzomah want to get backup money elsewhere (because they aren't getting anything else), I think that would be wise. I wouldn't want to be stuck in this weather either.

Its not like we were the only team trying to sign him last off-season. It's not like Mike is trying to make sure he has health care. I'd wager he will have a decent market this year as well.

The 2014 and 2018 injuries were fluke bullshit. I won't argue 2016/2017. Stats are stats and 81% of his catches have either gone for a first down or touchdown. Is that worth risking 2% of the teams salary cap? Probably. If Tyler Kroft or CJ Uzomah want to get backup money elsewhere (because they aren't getting anything else), I think that would be wise. I wouldn't want to be stuck in this weather either.

I like all this, and I’ll add this, as we typically ask when pondering just cutting someone loose:

Who are we replacing him with that we can guarantee will be healthier and promise the kind of productivity from his good (partial) seasons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not savvy with managing the cap or anything like that, but it'd have to be an extremely team friendly, incentive laden deal.

One can argue that his latest injury was simply a "freak incident" but it still happened. The dude just cannot stay on the field. This has been the case for pretty much his entire NFL career. What's the old saying? The best ability is availability.

20 hours ago, Griever said:

I'm not savvy with managing the cap or anything like that, but it'd have to be an extremely team friendly, incentive laden deal.

One can argue that his latest injury was simply a "freak incident" but it still happened. The dude just cannot stay on the field. This has been the case for pretty much his entire NFL career. What's the old saying? The best ability is availability.

TE version of Sam Bradford. 

23 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Yeah I know, Ken. Like a guy goes out and says: "gee, let's get injured today...I don't want to play any harder"? You can't "incentivize" injuries.    

No, I think what most of us have in mind is an elevator clause that would drive his salary up based on number of games played, or more standard incentivizing statistical levels from performance. Extra money if he catches ten td’s or makes fifty receptions, stuff like that.

On 3/9/2019 at 4:46 PM, thezerawkid said:

No, I think what most of us have in mind is an elevator clause that would drive his salary up based on number of games played, or more standard incentivizing statistical levels from performance. Extra money if he catches ten td’s or makes fifty receptions, stuff like that.

Bengals need to move on. He won’t be the same player. He ran a few ladders in a video and that means he is healthy?  Can he even run a sub 5 second 40?  He will be 29 in September. Time to move on. 

People keep telling others to move on, but "moving on" doesn't guarantee "upgrade".

No draft pick or FA signing is guaranteed. We know what Eifert is "when healthy".

And yeah he hasn't been healthy much, but I'd rather take the chance on a low risk

high reward contract with him and hope he remains healthy than move on and hope

for someone else to be better or stay healthy.

ETA:Plus one of my twins loves Eifert and just got his jersey for Christmas last year!!!

57 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

People keep telling others to move on, but "moving on" doesn't guarantee "upgrade".

No draft pick or FA signing is guaranteed. We know what Eifert is "when healthy".

And yeah he hasn't been healthy much, but I'd rather take the chance on a low risk

high reward contract with him and hope he remains healthy than move on and hope

for someone else to be better or stay healthy.

ETA:Plus one of my twins loves Eifert and just got his jersey for Christmas last year!!!

I seriously doubt Eifert’s agent will let him sign a high incentive contract if he can actually pass a physical and run fast.   That is why you have an agent.  

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I seriously doubt Eifert’s agent will let him sign a high incentive contract if he can actually pass a physical and run fast.   That is why you have an agent.  

He signed one last season that I would be more than comfortable with.

8 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

He signed one last season that I would be more than comfortable with.

That wasn’t a heavily incentivized contract. 3 mil guaranteed, with workout and roster bonus pushing it to $3.75mil before playing a down.   He ended up making $4.75mil of a $5.5mil contract. He played 4 games. 

I actually wouldnt have a problem with a similar contract if they draft the TE from Iowa AND they are active in FA. 

Archived