Cut Dre Kirkpatrick or nah?

Almost certainly gone

Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Bengals

Kirkpatrick took up $9.5 million in cap space to star on one of the league’s worst passing defenses.

Screen_Shot_2019_02_06_at_8.17.59_PM.png

He’ll count a shade under $11 million in 2019. Marvin Lewis is gone, and Cincinnati’s rebuild under Zac Taylor will likely mean Kirkpatrick follows him. The Bengals have to take some big moves to wash the taste of a rotten 2018 finish from their mouths, and jettisoning their fourth-highest paid player could be the next one.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/12/18214341/nfl-veterans-cut-released-candidates-offseason-2019-free-agency

36 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Almost certainly gone

Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Bengals

Kirkpatrick took up $9.5 million in cap space to star on one of the league’s worst passing defenses.

Screen_Shot_2019_02_06_at_8.17.59_PM.png

He’ll count a shade under $11 million in 2019. Marvin Lewis is gone, and Cincinnati’s rebuild under Zac Taylor will likely mean Kirkpatrick follows him. The Bengals have to take some big moves to wash the taste of a rotten 2018 finish from their mouths, and jettisoning their fourth-highest paid player could be the next one.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/12/18214341/nfl-veterans-cut-released-candidates-offseason-2019-free-agency

I say

hasta-la-vista-baby-quote-1.jpg

I think there is very little chance Dre is gone. The bad pass defense had more to do with the linebackers and pass rush than the dbs. With a switch to more base nickels, quality corners are very hard to find. Dre was down last year but played well enough in the past to give him a longer leash. Dennard and he play different positions technically as well. We would only save 6 million and we are unlikely to find a CB of his quality for 6 million. We had 2 rookies last year that might do well enough to make this an option for next year, but cutting Dre this offseason doesn't seem like the right move. 

CB Jackson 21 McRae 19 Phillips 22
CB Kirkpatrick 22 Russell 20 Harris 22

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'd be surprised if Dre gets cut. The team isn't short of cap space and is unlikely to find a better CB in free agency. So the Bengals will do their usual thing, play it safe and avoid change. 

Based on your first sentence, wouldn’t it be the SMART thing to do? 

There are compelling arguments for both sides. On the one hand, I've never been impressed with Dre so I say cut him, especially since I'm sick of seeing him celebrate after a run of the mill play. On the other hand, is there anyone better out there to replace him? If not, keep him for now and hope the young CBs develop. I think a lot of the problem last year, especially at the beginning of the year, is that the defense couldn't pick up Austin's defense. To me, they just looked lost, especially in the secondary. Maybe with a new DC and a new scheme, the defense overall will look better this year. 

40 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

There are compelling arguments for both sides. On the one hand, I've never been impressed with Dre so I say cut him, especially since I'm sick of seeing him celebrate after a run of the mill play. On the other hand, is there anyone better out there to replace him? If not, keep him for now and hope the young CBs develop. I think a lot of the problem last year, especially at the beginning of the year, is that the defense couldn't pick up Austin's defense. To me, they just looked lost, especially in the secondary. Maybe with a new DC and a new scheme, the defense overall will look better this year. 

This one will clap harder and scream louder. That is, unless he dies of a stroke first

Todd_Grantham_MSU-640x441.jpg

1540255857_Todd-Grantham_gs_t350_hbabf7a

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

Not this season. Too many other needs to create a new one. Dre’s deficiency’s can be minimized if our new DC will match up CBs. 

Agreed. This becomes the age old matter of: if you rid yourself of him, who fills his spot? And, in doing so, do you necessarily create a void not easily filled with at least a similar caliber player?

Why not?  You can find an equivalent replacement player in FA for a fraction of the cost, or maybe even an upgrade.  What's the going rate for arguing with a ref after a TD pass?

Never been a fan of Pacman Jr.  Seems like addition by subtraction even aside from him being grossly overpaid.

16 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Why not?  You can find an equivalent replacement player in FA for a fraction of the cost, or maybe even an upgrade.  What's the going rate for arguing with a ref after a TD pass?

Never been a fan of Pacman Jr.  Seems like addition by subtraction even aside from him being grossly overpaid.

I don't really believe this statement.  Not saying Dre is all that but FA corners are not cheap, even the average ones. 

Archived