Bengals DC

Thin? Lol.

This is one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen. There - literally - isn’t any telling where the Bengals are going to find a defensive coordinator.

I don’t know what the interview process with Zac Taylor was like, but I would have assumed, that at some point, somebody would have asked, “Who’s AVAILABLE and WANTS TO come with you to run our defense?”

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Here’s an outside the box idea...

Buyout Bud Foster from Virginia Tech. He’s almost sixty and appears to have given up on ever being a head coach.

I believe he’s got one year left on his contract at $600K/season. He plays an aggressive style that features a nickel base.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

There will be some former HS coach, who his brother knew, who worked with his father-in-law's former DB coach, who once was on a college team that played Alabama, whose former LB coach once met Buddy Ryan. 

No problem. 

You mean Todd’s friend?

2 minutes ago, gupps said:

Whats the chance that Del Rio getting another interview? I ead somewhere that he would have taken the job if offered but the Bengals (or Zac) didn't think it was a good fit. 

The Bengals could have had Del Rio but ultimately passed on him. Now, they’re paying for it. 

By Jason Marcum@marcum89  Feb 14, 2019, 3:49pm EST

usa_today_10509968.0.jpgKirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The Bengals’ search for a defensive coordinator has been frustrating to say the least, and a big reason for that is the Bengals themselves.

According to Fletcher Page of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Bengals passed on hiring Jack Del Rio, who was easily the best candidate available for the job:

Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean Zac Taylor simply didn’t want Del Rio running the defense (though all signs point to that being the case). It’s possible Del Rio was asking for more money than the Bengals were willing to spend.

Still, that was a bad move by Taylor and the Bengals, which they are now paying dearly for. After missing out on other qualified candidates like Dennis Allen and Todd Grantham, Cincinnati is focusing on position coaches like Aubrey Pleasant and Aaron Glenn, neither of which has ever run a defense. Even Dom Capers has passed on the Bengals. 

Between the defensive coordinator fiasco and hiring Jim Turner of all people to run the offensive line, Taylor is having a forgettable start to his career as head coach of the Bengals. 

I am trying to remain optimistic about the new regime, but the clown show that has become our search for a defensive coordinator doesn't inspire much confidence.  No matter how Hobknob or the front office tries to spin it, whoever gets the job is no better than their 5th or 6th choice.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Taylor or the organization.  I'm not sure what kind of results to expect because they are settling for what is likely a lesser candidate.  Nothing about this bodes well for the immediate future, IMO.

When Taylor interviewed he needed to arrive with a short list of names he already had conversations with for key positions he needed to fill. The problem is his team went to the Super Bowl. He had to wait a month before he could even begin the process.  The Browns hire Kitchens on Jan 9. We hired Taylor on Feb 4. 

This whole Zac Taylor hire appears to be a debacle but I'll wait to see him coach on the field before making a final determination. They should have had these details all ironed out a long time ago. I 'll tell you something else...for years we've complained about Mike Brown not letting his head coach hire assistants. As Lapham puts it "let the chef buy the groceries." Well, I think this is a good argument to NOT always let the head coach hire all of his assistants. MB should have insisted that he keep Pollack as O line coach. He also should have hired a D coordinator if Taylor didn't have a commitment by the time the Super Bowl ended. Simply put some guys can be empowered to hire their own assists like Bruce Arians but 35 yr old "rookies" have not earned that right. This is going to get ugly

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I am trying to remain optimistic about the new regime, but the clown show that has become our search for a defensive coordinator doesn't inspire much confidence.  No matter how Hobknob or the front office tries to spin it, whoever gets the job is no better than their 5th or 6th choice.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Taylor or the organization.  I'm not sure what kind of results to expect because they are settling for what is likely a lesser candidate.  Nothing about this bodes well for the immediate future, IMO.

We are on option 2. Not 6th or 7th

42 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Where's the little emoji of the smiley face running in circles screaming?  We need it!  This shit is HILARIOUS!!😂😂

Really? I mean I'm not ready to burn the whole thing down yet, but you find humor in this? The longer we wait to find someone the longer its going to take to install his system let alone allow him to work with the scouting department to find the guys for that system.

It's a bit concerning.

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

As mentioned in the article above this could be all about money.  Taylor very well may have a coaching budget, sounds very Mikey like, and may not have a lot left for a DC.  A very Bengals thing to happen.

Marvin Lewis was one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL last season.

*throws up in mouth*

So I highly doubt that Taylor is being paid as much, and I doubt that MB would keep 

him from a guy he truly wanted because of the money that was saved from letting Lewis go

The first tier of top candidates – Jack Del Rio, Dom Capers, Dennis Allen and Vance Joseph – didn't work out. 

Del Rio wanted the job and likely would have accepted if offered, according to sources, but Taylor’s call was that Del Rio, the former head coach of the Jaguars and Raiders, would not be the right fit for the position.

Instead, Taylor focused on Saints DC Allen, an ambitious reach considering New Orleans was on the verge of the Super Bowl the last two seasons and should contend again next year. Allen was considered the home run hire, but he turned Taylor down to remain in New Orleans. Allen got an extension out of the deal and prying him away would have been near miraculous.

Conversations between Capers and the Bengals, according to sources, never seriously took off as both sides mutually realized they weren’t fit for each other. 

Joseph interviewed for the head coach position and club interest existed for a defensive coordinator role, but once the Bengals went the other way toward Taylor, Joseph quickly joined Kliff Kingsbury in Arizona before anything could move in a DC direction in Cincinnati. 

The second wave of options, including former Falcons coordinator Marquand Manuel, Rams assistant Aubrey Pleasant and Florida Gators DC Todd Grantham, were made clear this week.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/02/14/who-said-what-cincinnati-bengals-coach-zac-taylors-pursuit-dc/2869026002/

So really, one dude has turned them down. And that was Grantham.

Archived