Bengals DC

On 2/16/2019 at 3:11 PM, oldschooler said:

No. 

Del Rio is still owed a considerable amount of money by the Raiders through the 2020 season, a number in the range of $15 million.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/report-fired-raiders-jack-del-rio-leading-candidate-nfc-dc-job

I'm not sure what that has to do with my question?

Just now, oldschooler said:

Del Rio is still owed millions of dollars from the Raiders. I don't think he "wanted" the job 

but was also expecting to be paid more than the HC

Yeah I'm aware of his current contract. The 2nd part of that where he is expecting to be paid more than the HC, is my question. Is it possible Taylor didn't want a DC that is paid more than he is?

Just now, Jamie_B said:

Yeah I'm aware of his current contract. The 2nd part of that where he is expecting to be paid more than the HC, is my question. Is it possible Taylor didn't want a DC that is paid more than he is?

I've been given no impression that was ever the case.

Seems to me more a difference in football philosophies 

I have no idea how coaches contracts work but I wonder if the money owed to Del Rio by the Raiders is contingent on him finding another job or maybe have a salary offset like players have without a clause.  I mean if the Raiders owe him $5 million a year for 3 years and the Bengals offer him $2 million, then the Raiders only have to pay him $3 million.  He would be working for nothing.

8 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I have no idea how coaches contracts work but I wonder if the money owed to Del Rio by the Raiders is contingent on him finding another job or maybe have a salary offset like players have without a clause.  I mean if the Raiders owe him $5 million a year for 3 years and the Bengals offer him $2 million, then the Raiders only have to pay him $3 million.  He would be working for nothing.

He was thought to be the Giants new DC last offseason after being fired. 

Should Del Rio join the Giants, his New York salary will be offset by the money owed to him in his Raiders contract.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/22/report-jack-del-rio-could-be-named-new-york-giants-defensive-coordinator/

OK...will be serious here. 

Is there anyone of any quality remaining out there who might be of use? Fox? Burke? Manuel? 

I ask, not because these guys are all that, but because the tap of Fresh and New potential wunderkinds (with actual experience) has dried up. 

I was even thinking of Simmons being considered, then realized he didn't have any defensive coaching experience either. 

Maybe the WELL of SOULS  that the media has hyped or people in the know have thrown to the wind to see what sticks is drying up but my guess is there are 10's of coaches working somewhere that would make a damn good DC if they would ever get the chance.

I have no idea if Wunderkind and his staff will work out.  All I know is the old one has been going down hill since 2015 and I am willing to give Fresh and New a chance.

4 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Maybe the WELL of SOULS  that the media has hyped or people in the know have thrown to the wind to see what sticks is drying up but my guess is there are 10's of coaches working somewhere that would make a damn good DC if they would ever get the chance.

I have no idea if Wunderkind and his staff will work out.  All I know is the old one has been going down hill since 2015 and I am willing to give Fresh and New a chance.

I agree west! There many not be a ton of "qualified" candidates perse, but I'm sure there are many defensive football minded individuals out there that can do a good job. Taylor says he's not gonna be rushed. He says he is in no rush because he wants to make the right hire and I'm fine with that.

TAYLOR’S START IN CINCY: NO DC, BUT A QB IN PLACE

The biggest difference for Taylor between then (his previous 35 years on planet earth) and now (as one of those 32 NFL head coaches) is something he actually has felt every night.

“What I do notice is, Man, I sleep hard,” Taylor said. “When my head hits the pillow at night, it feels like five o’clock rolls around real quick. It used to be, I’d lay in bed and look at my phone and go through some stuff. Not anymore. When I lay in that bed, I’m out within about 20 seconds.

“I think, you think critically all day, you’ve got a lot of decisions to make, so you've got to make sure that you take a couple of seconds every day to relax your brain a little bit. But that’s been good. That’s not anything I didn’t expect.”

Taylor’s situation is different than Flores’s. Maybe because his candidacy as a head coach came about quicker—he was promoted from Rams assistant receivers coach to QBs coach at this time last year—and his staff has been slower to materialize. The Bengals are still looking for a defensive coordinator, which, given Taylor’s offensive background, will be a vital hire.

His approach hasn’t been quite the same either. He and his staff have met on scheme and philosophy, of course. But rather than chip away at everything at once, he segmented his football work. And so his focus up until late last week really was zeroed in on the Bengals roster. He’s completed that, so he does have an opinion on the individual players, and the group.

“There's good talent, and there's a good mix of young, first- and second-year players, and some good veterans,” he said. “And so it really is, it's an exciting team to get a chance to work with. Like any year, any year with any team, you’re always going to look to the draft to help strengthen your roster and free agency. But I am excited about the guys that we already have.”

And that goes for the quarterback too, in case you’re wondering. That came through when I asked if he feels Andy Dalton’s the right guy for his offense.

“I do,” Taylor said. “I've watched Andy for a really long time, dating back to his days at TCU. I’ve always been impressed with the way he plays the game. I've always known he’s a smart guy. We haven’t had a chance to meet on football or anything like that. But I do know that he'll be able to quickly master this offense. He gets the ball out on time, he’s accurate, he’s got good athleticism.”

That offense, Taylor says, will find its starting point in what Sean McVay’s Rams have done schematically over the last two years. But Taylor hired offensive coordinator Brian Callahan and his staff with evolution in mind. While each assistant comes from a West Coast offense background, they come from different branches of the tree, which Taylor hopes will lead to diversification.

And obviously not having a defensive coordinator yet isn’t ideal. Most recently, Saints secondary coach Aaron Glenn was blocked from interviewing, and Ohio State defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley turned an interview down. Things didn’t work out with more experienced names like Jack Del Rio and Mike Nolan.

But Taylor says he isn’t going to rush that one—“No [timetable], just need the right person”—and is leaning on secondary coaches Robert Livingston and Daronte Jones in interim.

As for what’s ahead, with his tape work on the Bengals roster done, Taylor got started on the draft this weekend. He still hasn’t watched free agents, but he’ll make time for that soon in a schedule that starts every day at Paul Brown Stadium at 6 a.m., with a film session with Callahan, then meetings with owner Mike Brown and personnel chief Duke Tobin.

“The day goes fast, you get a lot done, you always feel like you could get more done and you look up and all of the sudden it’s 4:30, and you’re like, ‘Where did all the time go?’” Taylor said. “But it’s been good. The most important thing is you put a plan in place every day of what you want to accomplish and where you want to be by this day with the scheme, where you want to be this day evaluating your roster, where you want to be by this date in terms of the draft and free agency.

“So everyone is following that plan and we know that we got plenty of time. It seems like we've got to be rushed but we really don't. The draft’s at the end of April, the players don't come until April 9.”

BENOIT: Ranking the NFL’s Neediest Teams Ahead of Free Agency and the Draft

The cool part, for Taylor, is he already has a comfort level with his surroundings. He was only at the University of Cincinnati for 11 months in 2016. But he and his wife identified with the area so quickly that they’re moving back into the area they left when they headed for California two years ago.

“The people that we met when we lived in Cincinnati, the Midwestern values—I'm from Oklahoma, my wife’s from Green Bay—we felt at home in the year we were here,” Taylor said. “I’ve lived in a lot of places, I've had four kids in four different states, to this point. Some places you go, when you’re driving back to your house, you’re just going back to your house. Here, we always felt like this was a home.”

That would be another reason why he’s sleeping pretty good at night.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/18/brian-flores-dolphins-zac-taylor-bengals-super-bowl-coaches-kyler-murray-scouts-kaepernick-reid?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

OK...will be serious here. 

Is there anyone of any quality remaining out there who might be of use? Fox? Burke? Manuel? 

I ask, not because these guys are all that, but because the tap of Fresh and New potential wunderkinds (with actual experience) has dried up. 

I was even thinking of Simmons being considered, then realized he didn't have any defensive coaching experience either. 

Bob Sutton …  currently serving as a Senior Assistant of the Atlanta Falcons.

Michigan (1972–1973)
Graduate assistant

Syracuse (1974)
Linebackers coach

Western Michigan (1975–1976)
Defensive coordinator & linebackers coach

Illinois (1977–1979)

Western Michigan (1980–1981)
Offensive coordinator, quarterback coach, wide receivers coach

NC State (1982)
Running backs coach

Army (1983–1990)
Defensive coordinator

Army (1991–1999)
Head coach

New York Jets (2000–2005)
Linebackers coach

New York Jets (2006–2008)
Defensive coordinator

New York Jets (2009–2011)
Senior defensive assistant & linebackers coach

New York Jets (2012)
Assistant head coach & linebackers coach

Kansas City Chiefs (2013–2018)
Defensive coordinator

Atlanta Falcons (2019–present)
Senior assistant

You know whom I don't see mentioned in all this talk of Taylor's scheme from LA, etc...is Joe Mixon. The guy needs to be the centerpiece of this offense like Gurley is with the Rams. The guy needs the ball a LOT more in space (and so does Gio for that matter). With the uncertainty at TE currently, taking the Mixon/Bernard as outlets for Dalton can only result in good plays most of the time.

We never used Mixon enough last season. I hope we start getting that kid the ball. His intensity is infectious too. But not in a crazed Pac Man sort of way.

Day's over by 4:30?  We put a banker in the HC's chair?  Go home, fix a Hungry Man and eat it watching footage on potential FA's &/or draft picks until 11 or 12. You got the job late, time's a wastin' and you don't even have a DC in place.  Spend 6-4 getting landing damned good one!

Dehner (I think this was his idea and not Fletcher's) on todays BBP had an idea for DC.  And if they don't have a guy hired by Wednesday next week I think I'd do it. Supposedly our DB coach, Robert Livingston (I think?) was an "up and coming" coach when he was hired.  Give him a 1 year shot at DC.  If it works out, great, if not, hire a guy next year when there are more qualified candidates.

19 hours ago, Numbers said:

Bob Sutton …  currently serving as a Senior Assistant of the Atlanta Falcons.

Michigan (1972–1973)
Graduate assistant

Syracuse (1974)
Linebackers coach

Western Michigan (1975–1976)

Illinois (1977–1979)

Western Michigan (1980–1981)
Offensive coordinator, quarterback coach, wide receivers coach

NC State (1982)
Running backs coach

Army (1983–1990)
Defensive coordinator

Army (1991–1999)
Head coach

New York Jets (2000–2005)
Linebackers coach

New York Jets (2006–2008)
Defensive coordinator

New York Jets (2009–2011)
Senior defensive assistant & linebackers coach

New York Jets (2012)
Assistant head coach & linebackers coach

Kansas City Chiefs (2013–2018)
Defensive coordinator

Atlanta Falcons (2019–present)
Senior assistant

No thanks, the Cheifs defense was horrible and the reason why the Pats made the Super Bowl. 

It was rumored before Taylor was hired that the Bengals HC job was the least attractive of all the jobs available this off season. It truly seems that this DC position is not desirable, it seems odd that a job that is supposed to be coveted by all coaches is so hard to fill.

19 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

No thanks, the Cheifs defense was horrible and the reason why the Pats made the Super Bowl. 

It was rumored before Taylor was hired that the Bengals HC job was the least attractive of all the jobs available this off season. It truly seems that this DC position is not desirable, it seems odd that a job that is supposed to be coveted by all coaches is so hard to fill.

We should have hired Sutton as our Offensive Coordinator.  We would take the league by storm running the ole Wishbone!!

46 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

1 person has turned it down. That person was making 1.3 million a year at Florida. 

51 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

1 person has turned it down. That person was making 1.3 million a year at Florida. 

Keep telling yourself that; Del Rio, Nolan, and Capers all passed including Grantham.  

This job shouldn't be that hard to fill, I can't think of any other team that doesn't have a DC at this point. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_defensive_coordinators

Most coaches have guys already lined up for these types of jobs before they get hired, Taylor doesn't have the network or respect from his peers in order to get this done. 

31 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Keep telling yourself that; Del Rio, Nolan, and Capers all passed including Grantham.  

This job shouldn't be that hard to fill, I can't think of any other team that doesn't have a DC at this point. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_defensive_coordinators

Most coaches have guys already lined up for these types of jobs before they get hired, Taylor doesn't have the network or respect from his peers in order to get this done. 

Yeah, heaven forbid he tell the truth.  But, hey when you like to whine and bitch, it's easier when you can make stuff up, huh?

29 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

More recent reports are that it was Taylor who passed on everyone but Grantham.  Specifically that Del Rio wanted the job but Taylor cooled on him after speaking,  and Capers was never a serious candidate and was only interviewed at Brown's request. 

My concern is that Taylor evidently assumed he'd want Del Rio without first speaking to him,  and he seems to be so specific about we wants that a match is very hard to find. 

Archived