Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Aubrey Pleasant was blocked?
 
Dennis Allen and Dom Capers were offered?
 
None if this is factual. 

Please, beat this dead horse with me.

I’ve asked him to cite legit sources, he hasn’t bothered.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thezerawkid said:


Please, beat this dead horse with me.

I’ve asked him to cite legit sources, he hasn’t bothered.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get being frustrated with not having a DC locked up. Taylor should have had 3-4 guys ready to go. I want to know what happened with Del Rio. 

 

What's happening is that Taylor is being patient and for whatever reason the media is reporting every interview as if it has to be marriage. "Steve Wilson went on a date last night. They aren't getting married. What an idiot failure"

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

I get being frustrated with not having a DC locked up. Taylor should have had 3-4 guys ready to go. I want to know what happened with Del Rio. 

 

What's happening is that Taylor is being patient and for whatever reason the media is reporting every interview as if it has to be marriage. "Steve Wilson went on a date last night. They aren't getting married. What an idiot failure"

Major decision processes should not be made public so that the decision-makers can feel free to change their minds without hearing about it from the public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor wasn’t prepared to take this job. He took the job 17 days ago. Pretending as if not being able to find a d coordinator in 17 days is him taking his time is pretty fucking laughable.  If this team lays an egg in FA you can write 2019 off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taylor wasn’t prepared to take this job. He took the job 17 days ago. Pretending as if not being able to find a d coordinator in 17 days is him taking his time is pretty fucking laughable.  If this team lays an egg in FA you can write 2019 off. 


What’s your basis for that opinion regarding taking time choosing the right d coord?

Why is it so hard to believe that some people are principled, practical, and methodical?

It may well be one candidate he thought he would like fell through...but it’s more likely that the various names linked were conjecture and Taylor is just making sure he does due diligence. He might know that cohesiveness in the locker room, top to bottom, is paramount. That would be a welcome change from the lack of culture we’ve been enduring for years.

He gets benefit of the doubt until he shouldn’t.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

 


What’s your basis for that opinion regarding taking time choosing the right d coord?

Why is it so hard to believe that some people are principled, practical, and methodical?

It may well be one candidate he thought he would like fell through...but it’s more likely that the various names linked were conjecture and Taylor is just making sure he does due diligence. He might know that cohesiveness in the locker room, top to bottom, is paramount. That would be a welcome change from the lack of culture we’ve been enduring for years.

He gets benefit of the doubt until he shouldn’t.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I never said he wouldn’t be a good coach, I said he wasn’t prepared to become or be offered the job. Due diligence should have been done before he was even hired. 

 

When a guy would rather stay at a second tier college program (Florida) rather than become an NFL D coordinator, that should raise a red flag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SF2 said:

I never said he wouldn’t be a good coach, I said he wasn’t prepared to become or be offered the job. Due diligence should have been done before he was even hired. 

 

When a guy would rather stay at a second tier college program (Florida) rather than become an NFL D coordinator, that should raise a red flag. 

 

IDK, wouldn't surprise me if Florida pays better, definitely gets more positive press, bigger crowds on game day, and let's be honest..  Which of the two organizations do you think is run more professionally? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Lost in what might eventually "work" or not...is the simple truth that neither the alleged fan base, the media (mostly national--as that is what is followed), nor the fantasy football oligarchs...are going to be attentive or supportive enough to allow the certain opening clusterfuck to run its course. 

 

People can mouth that they will now, but when rubber meets road, it will not. 

Man, you must be prescient.  The fans that bitched about the last staff seem to be already bitching about the new staff, and they haven't even coached a single game.  There is no joy in Mudville.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Man, you must be prescient.  The fans that bitched about the last staff seem to be already bitching about the new staff, and they haven't even coached a single game.  There is no joy in Mudville.

I am not bitching about the staff yet, I am just pointing out that O and D coordinator should have already been pretty much a foregone conclusion before he was officially hired.  The position coaches I understand. He had a few weeks to get this done even with the Super Bowl prep. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it's a normal HC interview question to ask who they would and could hire as their coordinators. Taylor should have had a few names ready to go and hired them within a couple days of getting the HC job officially. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Man, you must be prescient.  The fans that bitched about the last staff seem to be already bitching about the new staff, and they haven't even coached a single game.  There is no joy in Mudville.

The only foreboding I am seeing, is that the people/media who are jumping for joy because of Fresh and New, within a year will be screaming for scalps. I'm not bitching...I don't care. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The only foreboding I am seeing, is that the people/media who are jumping for joy because of Fresh and New, within a year will be screaming for scalps. I'm not bitching...I don't care. 

I realize you aren't bitching.  😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, it's a normal HC interview question to ask who they would and could hire as their coordinators. Taylor should have had a few names ready to go and hired them within a couple days of getting the HC job officially. 

We were told that one of the things that wowed the Bengals about Taylor was his great attention to detail with the plan he had. 

 

So far he has hired. 

 

1. His buddy from Miami who got fired for bullying a player and suspended for lewd behavior around women.

2. A former player who has never coached at the pro level but did play for his brother's team.

3. The son of his former college coach. 

4. The son of his former college coaches friend from his last job. 

 

And he doesn't seem to have had a real plan for his DC. 

 

Sometimes people over sell their skills in an interview. Lets hope that isn't the case. I was excited as anyone when I thought he was going to have a Rams guy as OC. Even excited about Callahan as OC with Callahan as OL coach and a veteran defensive coach. With all of these inexperienced guys I think we are going to see a lot of growing pains. A bunch of guys just figuring out the basics of how to do their jobs for the first time. I keep getting the image of a puppy. Lot's of energy. Not enough knowledge to know how to efficiently use that energy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

We were told that one of the things that wowed the Bengals about Taylor was his great attention to detail with the plan he had. 

 

So far he has hired. 

 

1. His buddy from Miami who got fired for bullying a player and suspended for lewd behavior around women.

2. A former player who has never coached at the pro level but did play for his brother's team.

3. The son of his former college coach. 

4. The son of his former college coaches friend from his last job. 

 

And he doesn't seem to have had a real plan for his DC. 

 

Sometimes people over sell their skills in an interview. Lets hope that isn't the case. I was excited as anyone when I thought he was going to have a Rams guy as OC. Even excited about Callahan as OC with Callahan as OL coach and a veteran defensive coach. With all of these inexperienced guys I think we are going to see a lot of growing pains. A bunch of guys just figuring out the basics of how to do their jobs for the first time. I keep getting the image of a puppy. Lot's of energy. Not enough knowledge to know how to efficiently use that energy. 

I think all the second guessing and doubting is a good thing. We're going into the 2019 season with a sense of nervous hopefulness , like "Who the hell really is this guy?" "Can he really deliver ?"

 

The doubts will soften the sting of the losses which will come to some degree. I believe Cincy is being forecast for last place in the AFC North, which is another good thing. Let's give the guy a year or two to get his feet on the ground before we start nailing him with Boy Wonder barbs and all the other snarkness that will follow eventually if he ends up just another Bengals losing head coach.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

I think all the second guessing and doubting is a good thing. We're going into the 2019 season with a sense of nervous hopefulness , like "Who the hell really is this guy?" "Can he really deliver ?"

 

The doubts will soften the sting of the losses which will come to some degree. I believe Cincy is being forecast for last place in the AFC North, which is another good thing. Let's give the guy a year or two to get his feet on the ground before we start nailing him with Boy Wonder barbs and all the other snarkness that will follow eventually if he ends up just another Bengals losing head coach.

Yep, I don't mean the above as really a complaint. I find joy in coming here to talk about their mis steps just as much as their successes. It's the group and the discussion that is fun for me. If they miss on Zac Taylor atleast they tried. Unlike the last few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 8:42 PM, Kingspoint said:

I've known Lou Anarumo since his days at Kingspoint.  It's my moniker for a good reason.  The day he was hired at Miami was a great day for the Dolphins, as it placed a man of integrity, grit and courage inside the franchise, a great teacher of men around all the miscreants that were the Dolphins.  

 

Anarumo is the Anti-Marvin Lewis.  Think Tom Landry.  That's the closest comparison I can make.

 

I can not think of a better, or more qualified person, to take over as D.C. of the Cincinnati Bengals.

 

I feel better about him than I did when I was advocating that we hire Mike Zimmer for D.C a year before we hired him, and we know how that turned out.

 

Well, we got your guy, and had I not read your post I'd have been completely underwhelmed....as it is now, if Anaruma's just half the man you describe we made a great hire.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anarumo A Perfect Messenger For Bengals D

 

Hobson_Geoff

Geoff Hobson

SENIOR WRITER

 
 

New York Giants defensive backs coach Lou Anarumo looks on from the sidelines.

New York Giants defensive backs coach Lou Anarumo looks on from the sidelines.

The Rams’ model for a young head coach two years ago was to pair Sean McVay with a long-time defensive coordinator that had been an NFL head coach in Wade Phillips. New Bengals head coach Zac Taylor, a McVay protégé, sought experience in the league, too, but he also wanted to make sure it was with a coach that knew him well enough that he could carry his message to the defensive side of the ball.

That’s why on Thursday Taylor tapped for his defensive coordinator Giants secondary coach Lou Anarumo, a 30-year coaching veteran with the last seven coming in the defensive backfields of the Giants and Dolphins. Anarumo, 52, is well known to the Bengals and Taylor after serving on the staffs of Vance Joseph and Kevin Coyle, former Bengals secondary coaches that became coordinators in Miami.

Taylor worked with him for four seasons in Miami and when Anarumo replaced Coyle four games into the 2015 season Taylor saw his challenge from the same prism. Taylor was also promoted to coordinator in mid-season that year when he moved from Bill Lazor’s quarterbacks coach to replacing him.

“Tremendous energy. I always thought he got the best out of his players,” Taylor said. “His messaging and what he wanted to do on defense was always crystal clear to those guys. I just like the way he communicated with his coaches when he was the coordinator and with his players through the years I was with him.”

 

A look back at Lou Anarumo, the Bengals new defensive coordinator. Anarumo comes to Cincinnati after serving as the defensive backs coach for the New York Giants.

 

Miami Dolphins defensive backs coach Lou Anarumo, left, runs through drills with cornerback Bobby McCain (28) at the teams NFL football training camp, Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2015 in Davie, Fla. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

1 / 8
 

Miami Dolphins defensive backs coach Lou Anarumo, left, runs through drills with cornerback Bobby McCain (28) at the teams NFL football training camp, Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2015 in Davie, Fla. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

Wilfredo Lee

Miami Dolphins Defensive Backs coach Lou Anarumo, left, chats with wide receiver Jarvis Landry (14) at the teams NFL football training camp, Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2015 in Davie, Fla. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

2 / 8
 

Miami Dolphins Defensive Backs coach Lou Anarumo, left, chats with wide receiver Jarvis Landry (14) at the teams NFL football training camp, Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2015 in Davie, Fla. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

Wilfredo Lee
 
 
 
 
 

Dolphins interim defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo addresses the media.

8 / 8
 

Dolphins interim defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo addresses the media.

Taylor is bent on building a staff of communicators and in Anarumo he gets a guy with a varied background of success. In the last two seasons with two different teams he coached a pair of Pro Bowl safeties in Miami’s Reshad Jones and the Giants’ Landon Collins and helped develop Miami cornerback Xavien Howard into a Pro Bowler. When Joseph moved from the Bengals to take the Dolphins DC job in 2016, he kept Anarumo and his DBs had a big hand during a stretch they forced a turnover in seven straight games with a total of 19 takeaways that helped fueled Miami’s play-off run secured with nine wins in the last 11 games.

Anarumo wasted no time building his staff after he signed early Thursday afternoon. During a break in meetings he indicated the Bengals are sticking to the four-man front used during Marvin Lewis' 16 seasons as head coach and he knows some of those in the not-so-distant past ranked highly.

“Like every team these days, we’ll be multiple,” Anarumo said. “Whether it be some four down or five down (linemen), I think that’s where the league is heading. We’ll get into all that as we get going. There are some guys around here that have made plays for a long time. There has been really good defense played here. I’m looking forward to meeting all of them and getting going.”

Daronte Jones joined the Bengals as cornerbacks coach last season after working with Anarumo during his final two seasons in Miami.

“Knowledgeable. He’s detailed. He’s a coach with energy and passion that tries to get the most out of his players,” Jones said. “He’s got a lot of experience. Being with three different head coaches, he’s seen some different things and schemes.”

 

Anarumo got his shot at the NFL with Miami in 2012 after eight seasons coaching the Purdue defensive backs for Joe Tiller and his first two years were eventful. While cornerback Brent Grimes made the Pro Bowl, the Dolphins allowed the second fewest TD passes over 2012-13 while posting the fifth best passer rating against opposing quarterbacks.

His work up from the bottom rung of the coaching ladder (starting in his hometown of Staten Island, N.Y. as a volunteer J.V. high school coach while attending Wagner College) paved the way for his chance in the pros. He worked with Joe Philbin at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, where he coached the running backs, and Harvard, where he was head coach Tim Murphy’s assistant and secondary coach.

When Anarumo went to Syracuse in the early ‘90s as a grad assistant and assistant secondary coach, Coyle was the Orangemen’s defensive coordinator as well as an older fellow Staten Island product that helped serve as a model for his career. When Philbin was named head coach of the Dolphins in 2012 and then named Coyle as his DC, Anarumo, the son of a teacher who took him to The Meadowlands to watch their beloved Giants, was a natural.

Coyle became a fixture for the Bengals as their secondary coach for 10 seasons at the turn of the century and became a hugely trusted figure among players and management in a run that included an NFL-best and team-record 31 interceptions for the 2005 AFC North championship. When Joseph, another highly-regarded DBs coach, replaced him in Miami, Coyle came back for two more seasons in the Cincinnati secondary and now he’s the head coach of Atlanta in the Alliance of American Football.

Although Coyle and Joseph no longer work at 1 Paul Brown, they are well thought of upstairs. So is another member of that Miami staff, linebackers coach Mark Duffner, the Bengals defensive coordinator before Lewis that coached their lone top ten finish between 1990 and 2008. Joseph interviewed for the head job last month and Taylor knows Coyle and Anarumo from his Dolphins days. His call to New York to tell Anarumo he was interested in him for the DC wasn't the first time they talked during the process. It all makes Anarumo feel at ease in a new setting.

 

“Having known guys that have been here previously like Kevin and Mark Duffner and Vance and guys that have a spent a lot of time here, it’s not foreign to me at all,” Anarumo said. “I wouldn’t say (the call) was a surprise. I would say in this business you’re always on alert for things. We’re friends. We’ve talked since we left Miami. We talk every now and again."

Taylor certainly feels at ease.

 “The Bengals’ goal is to have people in this building on the same mission,” Taylor said. “And that’s get the most out of these players and be clear communicators and hold everybody to a high standard and Lou fits that bill. Whether I worked with him or not, he’s a perfect fit for what we want to build. He’s been around a lot of great coaches and players and these guys are going to play hard for him. He’s going to have a clear vision for that defense.”

 

 

 

 

https://www.bengals.com/news/anarumo-a-perfect-messenger-for-bengals-d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Go-Bengals.com on Facebook

Go-Bengals.com on Twitter

×