Bengals DC

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

th-15.jpeg

Not really seeing the correlation, considering the guy on the left also chose "the greatest coach in Bengals history" at DC.

So, save a pic of Boy Wonder next to the former DB coach for Grand Blanc HS and pull it out next year. 

14 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Marvin Lewis was one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL last season.

*throws up in mouth*

So I highly doubt that Taylor is being paid as much, and I doubt that MB would keep 

him from a guy he truly wanted because of the money that was saved from letting Lewis go

Maybe but do you think at least with the Del Rio thing that he might have been paid more than Taylor and that may have caused some issues?

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Really? I mean I'm not ready to burn the whole thing down yet, but you find humor in this? The longer we wait to find someone the longer its going to take to install his system let alone allow him to work with the scouting department to find the guys for that system.

It's a bit concerning.

You do understand that they cannot even give out playbooks right now, don’t you?  When it’s time for workouts to start and they don’t have a DC I’ll worry, until then, this is chicken little shit!

I don't know what to say at this point. I would have been happy with Del Rio, who actually wanted the job but apparently Taylor didn't want him.  It's hard to say how serious the interest was in Allen and it's been reported that Capers turned down the job.  Then Grantham turns them down and ends up with a pay raise at Florida.  Pleasant interviews but isn't offered the job.  We've reached the point where they are being turned down for interviews.  It's just not a very promising start when they're already behind building a staff.  We certainly wouldn't be criticizing Taylor if we had just hired JDR, who actually wanted the job.  He deserves to be second guessed if he doesn't get this hire right.  Seems like we're scrambling and I don't see any of the remaining options as appealing.  

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

considering the guy on the left also chose "the greatest coach in Bengals history" at DC.

he also started with Leslie Frazier as his DC...how long did he last?

whoever it is they end up with at DC, I'd be willing to bet that he's only here for one season.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Maybe but do you think at least with the Del Rio thing that he might have been paid more than Taylor and that may have caused some issues?

No. 

Del Rio is still owed a considerable amount of money by the Raiders through the 2020 season, a number in the range of $15 million.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/report-fired-raiders-jack-del-rio-leading-candidate-nfc-dc-job

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

he also started with Leslie Frazier as his DC...how long did he last?

whoever it is they end up with at DC, I'd be willing to bet that he's only here for one season.

That would be very disappointing for the rebuilding of a coaching staff.  In my opinion not making it happen with Del Rio was a fuck up regardless of the "didn't fit" reason.

We need a greybeard on the staff and a DC would have been the spot.

's

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

No. 

Del Rio is still owed a considerable amount of money by the Raiders through the 2020 season, a number in the range of $15 million.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/report-fired-raiders-jack-del-rio-leading-candidate-nfc-dc-job

This is pretty depressing to read. But I'm a Bengals fan so I've been through worse.

And MB loves coaches paid by other teams, hope Zac didn't fuck this one up.

So does anyone think Taylor is wanting to switch to a 3-4 or a hybrid like Dennis Allen from New Orleans?

Del Rio has run a 4-3 defense throughout his career, he was "not a good fit".

Grantham prefers a 3-4. Could the complete overhaul on Defense be the biggest factor?

28 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

So does anyone think Taylor is wanting to switch to a 3-4 or a hybrid like Dennis Allen from New Orleans?

Del Rio has run a 4-3 defense throughout his career, he was "not a good fit".

Grantham prefers a 3-4. Could the complete overhaul on Defense be the biggest factor?

Then ZT starts over completely cause we really dont have the players for a 3-4. That's a huge step to take I think.

23 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Really? I mean I'm not ready to burn the whole thing down yet, but you find humor in this? The longer we wait to find someone the longer its going to take to install his system let alone allow him to work with the scouting department to find the guys for that system.

It's a bit concerning.

Nobody’s practicing right now. Heck, pretty sure guys aren’t even allowed in the building until after the draft.

Its likely anyone they hire is going to have ongoing work happening in terms of who they like and for what reasons in the draft. It won’t take a ton of time to look at the roster and figure out who will be a part of the puzzle moving forward and who needs to be shown the door or the bench.

This is a molehill, not a mountain. Besides, take the time, make the right hire, don’t rush and then figure out midseason we have another Teryl Austin scenario on our hands, right?

On 2/16/2019 at 1:12 PM, kennethmw said:

You do understand that they cannot even give out playbooks right now, don’t you?  When it’s time for workouts to start and they don’t have a DC I’ll worry, until then, this is chicken little shit!

That doesnt mean we cant get someone to start working on his system without doing that, and finding the right players for that system which requires scouting. I'd like to have a guy in place so that he can do just that.

Archived