Bengals DC

I've known Lou Anarumo since his days at Kingspoint.  It's my moniker for a good reason.  The day he was hired at Miami was a great day for the Dolphins, as it placed a man of integrity, grit and courage inside the franchise, a great teacher of men around all the miscreants that were the Dolphins.  

Anarumo is the Anti-Marvin Lewis.  Think Tom Landry.  That's the closest comparison I can make.

I can not think of a better, or more qualified person, to take over as D.C. of the Cincinnati Bengals.

I feel better about him than I did when I was advocating that we hire Mike Zimmer for D.C a year before we hired him, and we know how that turned out.

27 minutes ago, Kingspoint said:

I've known Lou Anarumo since his days at Kingspoint.  It's my moniker for a good reason.  The day he was hired at Miami was a great day for the Dolphins, as it placed a man of integrity, grit and courage inside the franchise, a great teacher of men around all the miscreants that were the Dolphins.  

Anarumo is the Anti-Marvin Lewis.  Think Tom Landry.  That's the closest comparison I can make.

I can not think of a better, or more qualified person, to take over as D.C. of the Cincinnati Bengals.

I feel better about him than I did when I was advocating that we hire Mike Zimmer for D.C a year before we hired him, and we know how that turned out.

I have been pretty quiet about this DC fiasco and I like the fact that you are standing up for your Kingspoint brethren but there are any number of more "qualified" people out there who could take over as the d coordinator.   This guy has plenty of d-backs coaching experience but almost zero as a coordinator.

That said, there were plenty of more "qualified" coaches 2 years ago before the Rams selected McVay so it is what it is.

57 minutes ago, Kingspoint said:

If he's good enough for you, Blazer, he's good enough for me. 

Lou Anarumo is a name I never heard before today.  Once again, Taylor is looking at hiring a coach who he worked with previously.  I have no idea how Anarumo will perform if he gets the job, but it feels like Taylor is settling for a familiar face after failing to land multiple better candidates.  As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I won't be surprised if this DC hire is one and done.  Whoever ends up with the job is starting from behind and inherits a defense with gaping holes at LB.  

12 hours ago, Jupiter Fan said:

It's more than a molehill, most other teams are digesting and improving their defense while we sit on our hands. We don't have a lead guy watching tape for the whole fucking defense, we are behind the curve, especially how bad we were/are defensively. How is that a molehill?

Because the true improvement will happen with implementation and repetition. Guys aren’t back in the building to work on this for awhile. One would argue mindset and technique were at least as much of the problem as scheme. 

I'm all for getting the right guy for the jobs, but I do find it concerning that it looks like not only will there not be anyone on the staff with head coaching experience, but there also may not be anyone with significant coordinator experience on either side of the ball.  Talent is great, but people look for experience for a reason.  It seems to me that it sure would be nice to have someone who's been there to bounce ideas off of.

7 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Every OC and DC in the NFL, College or High School football at one time or another was a rookie in the job.

Some succeed and some don't.  Fact of Life.

Has an entire staff of rookies ever worked?  My concern isn't the lack of experience of any one hire, but the staff as a whole.

17 minutes ago, Girevik said:

Has an entire staff of rookies ever worked?  My concern isn't the lack of experience of any one hire, but the staff as a whole.

This is my concern as well. I don't mind Taylor's minimal experience but the staff not having experience either is concerning.

27 minutes ago, Girevik said:

Has an entire staff of rookies ever worked?

Why just assume it won't? It's not like these guys have never coached before, I don't see why it can't work out. There are plenty of staffs loaded with experience that fail on a yearly basis.

What they really need at this point is more veteran leadership to help out with the transition, IMO....Rodger Saffold for the offense and Thomas Davis for the defense would be my first two targets in FA if I were the one putting this team together.

12 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Why just assume it won't? It's not like these guys have never coached before, I don't see why it can't work out. There are plenty of staffs loaded with experience that fail on a yearly basis.

What they really need at this point is more veteran leadership to help out with the transition, IMO....Rodger Saffold for the offense and Thomas Davis for the defense would be my first two targets in FA if I were the one putting this team together.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/02/19/offseason-moves-cincinnati-bengals-should-make-behind-scenes/2914631002/

Paul Dehner agrees with you.

Lost in what might eventually "work" or not...is the simple truth that neither the alleged fan base, the media (mostly national--as that is what is followed), nor the fantasy football oligarchs...are going to be attentive or supportive enough to allow the certain opening clusterfuck to run its course. 

People can mouth that they will now, but when rubber meets road, it will not. 

1 hour ago, Girevik said:

I'm not assuming anything.  I said it concerns me,  and that I would be much more comfortable with someone on the staff with HC experience,  or at least significant coordinator experience. 

All the experience we've had over the last 16 years never got us out of the 1st round of the playoffs, so maybe it's good to try something different.

21 hours ago, Kingspoint said:

Well, that certainly makes me feel a whole lot better about a guy who was totally unknown to me. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

Well, that certainly makes me feel a whole lot better about a guy who was totally unknown to me. Thanks.

You're welcome  I did my best.  If you're having trouble putting your faith in someone's opinion, try putting it in Duke Tobin's.  He knows what he's doing.

On 2/19/2019 at 4:58 PM, PatternMaster said:

1.Del Rio- Regardless of the spin, he was the first option to be DC.

2. Dennis Allen - Was offered and chose New Orleans over Cincy

3. Dom Capers - Was offered, declined 

4. Grantham - Was offered, declined 

5. Aubrey Pleasant - blocked from interviewing 

6. Jeff Hafley - Declined 

7. Aaron Glenn- Blocked from interviewing 

8. Lou Anarumo - Some guy who is not qualified and no other team is considering for a DC position except the Bengals because he is the 8th choice. 

I'm referring to the Lou guy, Breer is a known commodity. 

Aubrey Pleasant was blocked?

Dennis Allen and Dom Capers were offered?

None if this is factual. 

Archived