Walton Arrested

Shame to waste a 4th round pick so quickly but this was a no brainer to cut bait on Walton.  I can't think of another example of a player getting arrested 3 different times in such a short period of time.  Walton might end up doing time, nevermind being worried about his job or a suspension.   Not much else to say about it except to wish him the best and move on.  Running back is now very much in play for the draft.

6 hours ago, sparky151 said:

There are plenty of good RBs in the draft every year. We can find a good replacement (and likely upgrade) for Walton on day 3.

yeah.. I really don't think it will be hard to replace his 14 carries for 34 yards for the year 

Not looking to excuse anything this kid has done. Also not looking to argue that he deserves to stay employed. What I would just remind everyone is that certain guys haven’t had it easy in life. Look at the link below. Pretty much every elder in this kid’s life is dead. Mark Walton is now a criminal, but in reading this article, it’s probably not because he’s some privileged athlete. 

https://www.bengals.com/news/on-your-mark-walton-brings-special-energy-20630314

11 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Not looking to excuse anything this kid has done. Also not looking to argue that he deserves to stay employed. What I would just remind everyone is that certain guys haven’t had it easy in life. Look at the link below. Pretty much every elder in this kid’s life is dead. Mark Walton is now a criminal, but in reading this article, it’s probably not because he’s some privileged athlete. 

https://www.bengals.com/news/on-your-mark-walton-brings-special-energy-20630314

TBF, he's a petty criminal, so far anyway.  It's not like he killed somebody over a gang war #teamslikethePatriots or pushed a pregnant gf down the stairs #ClevelandOffseasonDynasty

Sure seems to have been heading down a dark road though.  Hopefully he cleans it up and plays ball again.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We cut the 3rd string RB so that is a priority in the draft.  Our starting OL is Gimpy, Boling, Greenhorn, Spud, & Horsemeat with Think Happy Thoughts as back-up, so we're set there.

Considering they have 8 picks on Day 3 of the draft (5 picks in the 6th round alone), I would be okay with taking a RB or maybe a couple RB.  They will be able to use their first three picks at LB and OL, their biggest needs.  Hard to imagine they will use a first or second day choice on a RB but who knows what might happen with the new regime.

12 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Considering they have 8 picks on Day 3 of the draft (5 picks in the 6th round alone), I would be okay with taking a RB or maybe a couple RB.  They will be able to use their first three picks at LB and OL, their biggest needs.  Hard to imagine they will use a first or second day choice on a RB but who knows what might happen with the new regime.

Late 6th round pick is a great place to find a 3rd string RB.  If even one of those comp picks makes the team that's pretty good... but again, more vacancies at LB or OL.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Late 6th round pick is a great place to find a 3rd string RB.  

Gio is in a contract year.  The coaching staff may be thinking the need is more 2nd string rather than 3rd string.  If BPA is a RB in rounds 3 or 4, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them pull the trigger...especially if they don’t see the OL need to be desperate as some of us do.

21 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We cut the 3rd string RB so that is a priority in the draft.  Our starting OL is Gimpy, Boling, Greenhorn, Spud, & Horsemeat with Think Happy Thoughts as back-up, so we're set there.

We cut a 6th string running back disguised as a 3rd stringer. The pick was bad and should have been dealt with last year at the final cuts. It never pays to compound your errors. Now we are in a weaker position, had we kept Brian Hill we would be in a better position.

6 hours ago, Cricket said:

.especially if they don’t see the OL need to be desperate as some of us do.

It's the same group they saw last season minus maybe one guy. If that situation isn't desperate they are content with 8-8 and being "competitive".  

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I wouldn't mind signing LeGarrette Blount as a free agent to take some wear and tear off Mixon.

Lots of at least semi-productive RB's in FA every year, Blount or someone like him would be a good add.

The best way to keep Mixon fresh is to put people in front of him who can block.  The season he had with this trash OL was outstanding.  Unfortunately that also made them look better than they were at times & when they predictably suck again, well..  Let's get a new QB to blame everything on!

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It's the same group they saw last season minus maybe one guy. If that situation isn't desperate they are content with 8-8 and being "competitive".  

I agree that the whole right side of the oline needs to be replaced.  They did sign Miller to replace Redmond at RG which is positive.  The Hart deal is inexcusable but they were in a bad spot with 3 of the four tackles as free agents.  The twin busts were never coming back but Hart didn't deserve the contract he received.  I'm confident they will take an OT in the first three rounds and probably at least one more in Day 3.  

13 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'm confident they will take an OT in the first three rounds and probably at least one more in Day 3.  

That might shut me up for a minute :D I'm not confident in their ability to pull a franchise OT out of the 3rd round.  Maybe a backup that could play either side, or even a good Bobbie Williams-type cement truck.  Yeah, I just don't see that combination of attitude & potential dropping that far without serious red flags & I hope we're over the scratch & dent sale bs.  

Every thread is a draft thread for the next 4 months :crazy:

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That might shut me up for a minute :D I'm not confident in their ability to pull a franchise OT out of the 3rd round.  Maybe a backup that could play either side, or even a good Bobbie Williams-type cement truck.  Yeah, I just don't see that combination of attitude & potential dropping that far without serious red flags & I hope we're over the scratch & dent sale bs.  

Every thread is a draft thread for the next 4 months :crazy:

It's still a work in progress with the oline.  It wasn't broken in a year and it won't be fixed quickly.  The Bengals need bodies at OT and they have a surplus of picks.  More bites at the apple to hopefully hit on a few of them at a few spots.  Regardless, no rookie is likely to come in and supplant Hart or Glenn barring injuries.  I'm also plenty skeptical about Turner as oline coach even if I would take pretty much anyone over the ketchup whisperer.  Taylor stuck his neck out for him and his offense will not succeed without improving that unit.

I don't see any reason why a rookie couldn't beat out Hart in camp. He looked like a rook last year himself.  Glenn could easily lose his job to a top 10 pick but I admit that might at least be a competition. Given his injury history* the new guy is likely to end up starting either way.

*Injury history refers to the amount of playing time a player has missed in previous seasons. #teamslikethePatriots use this to determine which players they can rely on. It's a controversial method but has proven effective.

On 4/6/2019 at 1:15 PM, oldschooler said:

I've always hated the term "Bengal-dom"

May I remind you - this man claims himself as a journalist. It's THREE fucking letters, Ken. Z-A-C. He's the only head coach - three letters, it's all you have to memorize. If you were an engineer, I'd give you a pass - they can't spell, but they are usually brilliant at math.

Unless he is referring to a power ranger:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zack_Taylor

Archived