Attending the Combine

47 minutes ago, spicoli said:

234 is a great weight for Bush as well.

that was the biggest thing I was worried about with him...not enough junk in the trunk to keep from getting washed out on a routine basis..

He had some thick thighs.

Guys I wouldn't hate at 11 (depending on what we do in free agency):

Cody Ford 

Jawaan Taylor

Jonah Williams

Andre Dillard

Ed Oliver

Montez Sweat

Devin White

Devin Bush

TJ Hockenson

Dwayne Haskins

Kyler Murray

Greedy Williams

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I don't understand why anyone seeing how defense is being called would want to invest that highly in an ILB. 

I see either Devin’s as 3 down sideline to sideline guys who can cover any tight end or RB with their speed.  Remember when Burfict was in shape?  He dominated at that position and dramatically made our defense better. Imagine a re-dedicated in shape Vontaze and one of the Devins next to him.  

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I see either Devin’s as 3 down sideline to sideline guys who can cover any tight end or RB with their speed.  Remember when Burfict was in shape?  He dominated at that position and dramatically made our defense better. Imagine a re-dedicated in shape Vontaze and one of the Devins next to him.  

Unfortunately, we ain't going to get him unless we trade up.

Start looking at best OT on the board and hope for Bush in the second.

Lost in the discussion is what the new staff is going to do with Malick Jefferson.

Will he become something or the latest in linebacker draft choices with potential who bust?

I like the guy and hope he does something.

Give me either of the Devins with White clearly being A and Bush being B.   White is an absolute beast.

For anyone who might want to go to the combine, I would recommend it, but be aware it is kinda weird compared to any other sporting event you will ever go to.  

The day went as follows:

Breakfast with Legends (Cliff Avril and Donnie Edwards) talking about their combines.  They just started letting fans in about 6 years ago so they were talking about how different it is.

There was a raffle at the end for three signed items.  It was clearly rigged.   Two kids at the same table won the first and third prizes with consecutive numbers and when it was over all the guys on stage came over to the dad at the table and it was clear they were all friends.   I really didn't care about a Matt Hasselbeck signed helmet, but it was just odd to make a couple hundred people sit there with tickets in their hands so you could give things away to someone you already knew.  Weird, but whatever.

Then we went up to the seats.   We were given a program with a list of all the athletes and an ear piece thing that had the NFL network broadcast.   They had TV's in the front row of each section so you could see. Those were nice touches.  

They didn't have all the fans in one section, they broke us up into groups of probably 30 or so and sat us in the front row of the club level.   Very soon, it became clear why.  You were not allowed to talk in a normal voice.  Everyone whispered lower than people whisper in a library.  You were not allowed to take pictures or even be on your phone at all.  My wife texted to ask when we would be home.  I got two words into a response and there was a person with their hand on my shoulder telling me I could not use my phone for anything.   At any given time there were an average of 2-3 people pacing back and forth behind us watching our every move.  It was really weird.

Overall it feels like an event that they really don't want fans there for but are forced to. Every possible way that a fan could interfere with any part of the day is has two or more layers of security, distance and several people vigilantly making sure you don't even get the chance to make a noise.  

If you are gonna go, I'd suggest doing a little research into all the players so you know who/what you are looking for and can keep yourself interested the whole time.   They don't put the numbers up on a screen for anyone to see so we only heard them when the broadcast was going.  Don't plan on taking pictures or getting into conversations about what you are seeing unless you want to go out in the concession area.  In short, it's cool to go to once to say you've been, but I watched several people with kids walk out after about 10 minutes because it just wasn't a fit and not being able to take even one picture was just weird considering the whole place was on TV. 

We won't see Metcalf, someone will take him in the top 10.

Top 10 locks so far (no particular order) ...

DK Metcalf

Nick Bosa

Montez Sweat

Quinton Williams

Kyler Murray

Dwayne Haskins

(likely) Drew Lock

That doesn't leave very many spots to fill before we get on the clock at 11. And I'm guessing a DB likely slots into the top 10 somewhere as well (probably DeAndre Baker)...  

Archived