2019 Free Agency

8 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

I'd like to see a whisper we are at least interested in improving by adding someone from outside the organization. We haven't gotten better by keeping the same guys.

Trading for Lee or signing Zach Brown would be a good start to making me feel better.

Bengals do a terrible job selling hope (and season tickets)

Here is what the Bills have done so far in Free Agency. No huge signings but basically remade their offense signing 4 new OL starters. Blue is all free agent signings. This is what it would be like to root for a team that tried. The Bengals don't understand how important hope is for fans. 

QB Allen 23 Barkley 21 Anderson 20    
RB McCoy 20 Gore 20 Ivory 20 Murphy 20 Ford 21
FB DiMarco 21        
WR Brown 22 Scott 21 McCloud 22 Roberts 19  
WR Foster 20 McKenzie 20 Williams Bolden 20  
WR Beasley 22 Jones 21 Phillips    
TE Croom 20 Kroft 22      
LT Dawkins 21        
LG Feliciano 21 Teller 22 Ducasse 20    
C Morse 23 Bodine 20      
RG Long 22 Boettger 21      
RT Nsekhe 21 Sirles 20 McDermott 20    

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

That was 3 yerars ago and no, I don’t want to go back to the days of watching Marvin and his team shit their pants in playoff games. 

So, multiple more seasons of watching the New Dave Shula--or the series of New Bruce Coslets who will quickly follow him--appeals to you that much? 

I wrote that post you quoted as an observation, not as a lament or a desire. 

6 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Here is what the Bills have done so far in Free Agency. No huge signings but basically remade their offense signing 4 new OL starters. Blue is all free agent signings. This is what it would be like to root for a team that tried. The Bengals don't understand how important hope is for fans. 

QB Allen 23 Barkley 21 Anderson 20    
RB McCoy 20 Gore 20 Ivory 20 Murphy 20 Ford 21
FB DiMarco 21        
WR Brown 22 Scott 21 McCloud 22 Roberts 19  
WR Foster 20 McKenzie 20 Williams Bolden 20  
WR Beasley 22 Jones 21 Phillips    
TE Croom 20 Kroft 22      
LT Dawkins 21        
LG Feliciano 21 Teller 22 Ducasse 20    
C Morse 23 Bodine 20      
RG Long 22 Boettger 21      
RT Nsekhe 21 Sirles 20 McDermott 20    

Even after all of those signings, their roster isn't any better than ours. And that last line is comic gold. Mike Brown doesn't care about us. He won't sign a FA to give us something to live for. Whaaaaa!

He hasn't won anything. He must not be trying. I guess more than half of the owners in the NFL don't want to win either.  

It’s fair to say the team had no real plan target quality players to filll huge holes. It’s the same old “ Wait for the dust to settle and pick over what is left” strategy. Find the injury prone guy or borderline starter on the cheap. Sign our guys back even though there are better ones to be had. 

5 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

without reading this. I wonder who one of the losers is?

Actually, they didn't even mention us.  There was an entire section devoted to the AFC North about how the Stealers and Ravens were hurt and how, after 25 years the Browns were the favorites.  We were never mentioned. 

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Actually, they didn't even mention us.  There was an entire section devoted to the AFC North about how the Stealers and Ravens were hurt and how, after 25 years the Browns were the favorites.  We were never mentioned. 

They mentioned how O-linemen under contract were losers when Billy Turner and Bobby Hart were getting overpaid.

11 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

They mentioned how O-linemen under contract were losers when Billy Turner and Bobby Hart were getting overpaid.

Yeah, I forgot about that.  I was miffed that they spent so much ink on our division and never mentioned us. 

27 minutes ago, SF2 said:

That's really hard to believe.

We have probably gone from being talked about as losers because ole marv can't get it done to just being an afterthought.

Exploring Free Agents as we try to fill out the roster and the prices come down. Lots of depth here for camp etc. 

Starting with Cardinals. 

WR JJ Nelson-Wouldn't be a terrible veteran for camp if he doesn't get another offer. 

T John Wetzel-Wasn't tendered, he'll be 28 by the time the season comes along. He has 24 starts already. Not a terrible backup

T Joe Barksdale-Started for the Cards last year. 30 year old with 78 career starts

DE Benson Mayowa-Love this guy. Productive and under rated. 38 tackles and 4 sacks last year. 73.3 PFF rating. 

DT Rodney Gunter-Also under rated. 4.5 sacks and 44.5 tackles last year. 70.3 PFF rating

LB Gerald Hodges-Puts up numbers whenever he plays but bounces around alot. 55 tackles. Just a 56 PFF rating

LB Jeremy Cash-Would be a hybrid or nickel LB/S. Injuries have derailed him but a pretty good athlete if I remember correctly. IMO a perfect guy for camp. Likely to end up with Browns.

S Tra Boston-74.1 pff rating last year. 79 tackles, 3 int, 9 passes defensed. Will only be 27 at the start of the season, feels like he has been around forever. 

Archived