2019 Free Agency

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Leon Hall, Reggie Nelson, Andre Smith, Frostee Rucker, Jeremy Hill, Marshall Newhouse and MIKE MITCHELL still available!!

How far have Leon and Reggie fallen off their game?  Always liked those two guys.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/06/aaf-closes-derron-smith-signs-vikings-bengals/

AAF refugee, former S Bengal Derron Smith signs with the Minnesota Zimmers.

Did very well in the AAF (yeah, like having the fastest Yugo in town) and speculation 

the Bengals should have brought him back.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/03/aaf-folds-bengals-pursue-derron-smith/

Also, an interesting article (imho) on AAF refugees who Bengals should invite in for

a look-see (not updated for signees)

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/gallery/aaf-players-nfl-bengals-invite-offseason-workouts/

DT Will Sutton (former Bear)

DL Damontre Moore

CB Will Hill

WR Charles Johnson (better than Cody Core?)

RB Trent Richardson ... yeah, but maybe worth a look see since Shazam Walton is on the way out.

Vikes also signed CB Duke Thomas

and Cleveland dumpster dived a quarterback to replace Mayfield Baker.

On 4/6/2019 at 9:18 AM, High School Harry said:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/06/aaf-closes-derron-smith-signs-vikings-bengals/

AAF refugee, former S Bengal Derron Smith signs with the Minnesota Zimmers.

Did very well in the AAF (yeah, like having the fastest Yugo in town) and speculation 

the Bengals should have brought him back.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/03/aaf-folds-bengals-pursue-derron-smith/

Also, an interesting article (imho) on AAF refugees who Bengals should invite in for

a look-see (not updated for signees)

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/gallery/aaf-players-nfl-bengals-invite-offseason-workouts/

DT Will Sutton (former Bear)

DL Damontre Moore

CB Will Hill

WR Charles Johnson (better than Cody Core?)

RB Trent Richardson ... yeah, but maybe worth a look see since Shazam Walton is on the way out.

Vikes also signed CB Duke Thomas

and Cleveland dumpster dived a quarterback to replace Mayfield Baker.

Trent Richardson? Pass the doobie. I could see getting an unknown player that shined in the AAF, but not an NFL retread that was a draft disaster. 

28 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

40 AAF players have signed with NFL teams. Given how crappy our OL and LB players are (overall) it seems a bit of a head shaker that the Bengals have signed no one. The AAF would have been a good place to find some depth or even 1 year players until we can get better depth.  

That would have required additional research and effort by our minimal scouting department.  Looking for players from a folded league is NOT what was on the schedule for April. 

19 minutes ago, SF2 said:

That would have required additional research and effort by our minimal scouting department.  Looking for players from a folded league is NOT what was on the schedule for April. 

They could have used Merv to scout..lol...actually, that make more sense than humor.

The small scouting staff really hurts on the depth part of the roster. For example, in 2018 a CFL all star LB, Adam Bighill played for the Saints (PS and games) but was cut in early 2019. He came back to the CFL and was the best player inn the league. I guarantee you he was better than most of the crap LB's we threw on the field. The depth players you look for only have to be better than the lowest guy on the roster. We just don't get enough eyes on the various other areas to look for these types of players that can improve the overall roster. 

32 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

They could have used Merv to scout..lol...actually, that make more sense than humor.

The small scouting staff really hurts on the depth part of the roster. For example, in 2018 a CFL all star LB, Adam Bighill played for the Saints (PS and games) but was cut in early 2019. He came back to the CFL and was the best player inn the league. I guarantee you he was better than most of the crap LB's we threw on the field. The depth players you look for only have to be better than the lowest guy on the roster. We just don't get enough eyes on the various other areas to look for these types of players that can improve the overall roster. 

There were a slew of NFL players available in free agency that could've helped us here.  Guys with ample game tape to scout, nothing obscure or difficult about it.   This FO isn't going to spend any more money than they absolutely have to by NFL rule.

22 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I think what really happened is the Bengals FO never even considered any of these players while other FOs where paying attention to see if there were a guy or two that could help.  Little things like special teams, backup, et al  all the little stuff you need for a solid team.  When the league folded they got on the phone and made deals while the Bengals FO was simply caught flat footed. 

21 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

40 AAF players have signed with NFL teams. Given how crappy our OL and LB players are (overall) it seems a bit of a head shaker that the Bengals have signed no one. The AAF would have been a good place to find some depth or even 1 year players until we can get better depth.  

Its baffling to me. I wonder if they even watched games. Browns ended up with Garrett Gilbert. Stealers signed like 6 guys. 

Archived