John Ross Being shopped

According to multiple sources, the Bengals will be shopping John Ross before  the combine.  Seems odd since we only have Boyd and Green signed thru 2019.

We would take a $10mil cap hit and only owe him $2mil this year to keep him.  One can only wonder how bad it must be if the new regime has already given up on him. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

According to multiple sources, the Bengals will be shopping John Ross at the combine.  Seems odd since we only have Boyd and Green signed thru 2019.

We would take a $10mil cap hit and only owe him $2mil this year to keep him.  One can only wonder how bad it must be if the new regime has already given up on him. 

This just seems weird to me. Like you said, if offensive wunderkind Zac Taylor can't see any use for him, then...???

I can't imagine we'd get much for him either, maybe a 4th rounder? Would it be worth it to even do that?

14 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

This just seems weird to me. Like you said, if offensive wunderkind Zac Taylor can't see any use for him, then...???

I can't imagine we'd get much for him either, maybe a 4th rounder? Would it be worth it to even do that?

I have to assume Zac has already talked to guys like Andy and AJ Green as well as any of the remaining offensive coaches.  Bicknell (WR coach) is new so I doubt he had much to say.  Maybe Tobin threw him under the bus?  Maybe Dalton but that would be odd with a new coach.  From a numbers standpoint it makes little sense.  Maybe it is Fake News.

57 minutes ago, SF2 said:

According to multiple sources, the Bengals will be shopping John Ross at the combine.  Seems odd since we only have Boyd and Green signed thru 2019.

a wast of a draft pick if this true, the Bengals needed a linebacker that year instead we took ross. and 2 years later the Bengals are serious need of a linebacker.

53 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I have to assume Zac has already talked to guys like Andy and AJ Green as well as any of the remaining offensive coaches.  Bicknell (WR coach) is new so I doubt he had much to say.  Maybe Tobin threw him under the bus?  Maybe Dalton but that would be odd with a new coach.  From a numbers standpoint it makes little sense.  Maybe it is Fake News.

Until there is more to this I assume it's inaccurate

1) Tobin drafted him and wanted him and is still here. 

2) We have tons of examples of patience with players, especially early picks, why would that change with Ross?

3) He would be like 10million in dead money this year. 

17 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Until there is more to this I assume it's inaccurate

1) Tobin drafted him and wanted him and is still here. 

2) We have tons of examples of patience with players, especially early picks, why would that change with Ross?

3) He would be like 10million in dead money this year. 

The dead money thing doesn't really matter to be honest.  Already a done deal, there is no way to fix that regardless of what happens to Ross.  We pay him $2mil to stay or try and get a pick but the dead cap money is not leaving.    There has to be way more going on that we don't know about if this report is true.  In essence, the Bengals are saying you are not worth $2 mil this year. 

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Ultra Fake News

It has to be right??  Math is all wrong on this move.  7tds is pretty good for $2mil.  Even if he only runs redzone and 3rd down quick slants he has to be worth more than $2mil??

13 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

I don't know what to think about Ross anymore. When I learned of the Taylor hire, one of my first thoughts was how this young, offensive-minded coach was going to creatively involve Ross and Mixon into this offense.

Joe Mixon agrees with you

Mixon thinks leaning on the run so heavily to set up the pass will benefit everyone on the offense, including his fellow draftmate, John Ross, who has struggled through injuries and inconsistent play in his first two seasons. 

"Everybody is going to have plenty of opportunity to contribute to the offense and make great plays," Mixon continued. "I strongly believe in that because off the play-action, get those safeties coming up and with [Ross's] speed and play-making ability, he's shown he can definitely get over the top. I feel like he'll be able to stretch the field a lot for us. I think that will be a great thing for him and Andy [Dalton]."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018926/article/bengals-rb-joe-mixon-sets-eyes-on-400-carries

1 hour ago, Dautcom08 said:

Joe Mixon agrees with you

Mixon thinks leaning on the run so heavily to set up the pass will benefit everyone on the offense, including his fellow draftmate, John Ross, who has struggled through injuries and inconsistent play in his first two seasons. 

"Everybody is going to have plenty of opportunity to contribute to the offense and make great plays," Mixon continued. "I strongly believe in that because off the play-action, get those safeties coming up and with [Ross's] speed and play-making ability, he's shown he can definitely get over the top. I feel like he'll be able to stretch the field a lot for us. I think that will be a great thing for him and Andy [Dalton]."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018926/article/bengals-rb-joe-mixon-sets-eyes-on-400-carries

Awesome! See, THAT'S the kind of fire and emotion that infects the whole team in a good way. Plus, it isn't like neither of them lacks talent. But yes, Ross has struggled. I hope this whole thing is a rumor. I actually want to give Ross another year to make or break.

Maybe.... Ross and our first round draft pick to trade up in round one and a 3rd rounder, settle for a 4th.

I think the Fresh and New Bengals want a Fresh and New quarterback from Ohio State.

Don't think the linebacker will slide to 11, OL meh at least that low in the first round.

I disliked the Ross selection from the second it was made and he's done very little to prove me wrong. Having said that, this move would be surprising to say the least. The main reason is like their thirst for compensatory picks, practice fields with no bubbles, loyalty to players and coaches past their best before date and taking the first week of free agency off...the Bengals don't like dead cap space. They don't like paying anyone not to work for them. They gave John Ross $10 million to sign. They want their perceived money's worth.

Even I think it would be a foolish move. Why cost yourself $10 million in dead cap space to get, if you're lucky, a mid-round draft pick? Fresh start? Whatever. Ross costs them $2 million in cash and less than $5 million against the cap. Might as well see if your new guy can utilize him.

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

The dead money thing doesn't really matter to be honest.  Already a done deal, there is no way to fix that regardless of what happens to Ross.  We pay him $2mil to stay or try and get a pick but the dead cap money is not leaving.    There has to be way more going on that we don't know about if this report is true.  In essence, the Bengals are saying you are not worth $2 mil this year. 

Trading him actually pushes money into this year hurting our cap. Of course it matters. 

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

I'm just going to leave this here...

9. John Ross

10. Patrick Mahomes

11. Marshon Lattimore

12. Deshaun Watson

It was a bad pick then and now. But unless he is a headcase in the lockerroom and pulling other dudes down with him this is not the time to cut bait. 

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Trading him actually pushes money into this year hurting our cap. Of course it matters. 

Great point, the cap hit THIS year is only $4.67 mil.  If we trade him that becomes $10.1 mil and we are down a WR which makes the move even more fucked up.  I see it like this:

1. The Zac is trying to swing a deal to move up in the draft to get Haskins or Murray.  That would be the only reason to move up.  Kinda out there if you ask me. 

2. Way more is going on as far as the locker room and Ross are concerned. Its possible but I would have thought something would have leaked by now.   

3. He is absolutely uncoachable.  I guess this is possible.  The Patriots dumped Chad after a year for this. 

4. Fake news. 

Archived