Mock Drafts

So, I did a 5 round mock draft on thedraftnetwork.com and here's how everything shook out. (They don't have the compensatory picks here yet)

1. Jonah Williams (OT - Ala)

With Devin White and Jaawan Taylor off of the board this is the best pick I think.  Ed Oliver was tempting to add some youth on the d-line, but we have to upgrade the offensive line.  Kyler Murray was also on the board and a tempting pick, but Williams should be able to step in at guard and possibly (hopefully) at RT.

2. Devin Bush Jr (LB - TTUN)

We got our LB.  He fell to the 2nd round and we're able to fill out one of our needs.  He's not as dynamic and D. White, but he walks in as our best LB.  Irv Smith (TE - Ala) was still on the board and I was tempted to go there, but to get a position of need and a starter in the 2nd round huge.  Dalton Risner (OT - KSU) was there as well and this was super tempting.  You potentially fix your oline in one draft by moving Williams to RG.  Thinking down the road it would be difficult to re-sign them both and we do need a LB so I thought Bush would be the best pick here.  Dexter Lawrence (DT - Clem) was also on the board, but we need a LB more than we need a DT at this point, though we do need some more youth on the DL.

3. Jace Sternberger (TE - Texas A&M)

There were other TEs available that may be rated a little higher (Kaden Smith or Dawson Knox), but I think Sternberger will be the best of that bunch.  He may not be a dominant blocker, but athletically he may only trail Hockenson from Iowa. 

4. Daniel Jones (QB - Duke)

I don't think there's any way Jones falls to the 4th, but in this mock he did.  Too much value to pass up here.  I'm not a huge fan of Jones, but some people are predicting he goes in the 1st, so if he somehow falls to the 4th I think he's well worth the risk.  If nothing else, you may have a backup for 10 years or trade bait in a few years.  Dawson Knox is still on the board, so maybe I reached with the Sterberger pick in the 3rd.

5. Parris Campbell (WR - tOSU)

I don't think he'll ever be a #1 or #2 WR, but he's fast.  You can use him to return kicks and maybe run some crossing routes or screens on offense.  The D will have to respect his speed in the open field.  AJ, Boyd, Ross and Campbell would be a nice top-4 on paper.  3 of those guys can beat you deep and 2 of those guys can make contested catches.

I'd be extremely happy with this draft.  It looks like there's a lot of RB depth here so we may be able to get one late and have in case we can't re-sign Gio next year. 

Archived