Are the Bengals in a win now or rebuilding phase?

Are the Bengals in a "win now" or "rebuilding" phase?   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Given the turnover in the coaching staff and players on the roster what are your exceptions for the 2019 Bengals?

• Win Now
    • Rebuilding

21 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

With a mostly completely new coaching staff on offense and defense it's easy to say the Bengals are in a rebuilding phase, but with the core players of the team either in or close to being out of their prime, what are your exceptions for the 2019 season.

Win now.  Window is closing on Dunlap, Atkins, and Green.  Even Andy aint a spring chicken.

24 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Win now.  Window is closing on Dunlap, Atkins, and Green.  Even Andy aint a spring chicken.

I agree, but with this new staff that is short on NFL experience and but has achieved success what are realistic expectations?

6-10?...

9-7 and playoffs?

I say a winning season and playoffs if they upgrade the oline and lb unit.

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I agree, but with this new staff that is short on NFL experience and but has achieved success what are realistic expectations?

6-10?...

9-7 and playoffs?

I say a winning season and playoffs if they upgrade the oline and lb unit.

RT, a few LBs that can play and Dennard and even Dre back make this a playoff calibre team.  Mixon will be entering what should be the glory years of an NFL RB and Boyd should only get better.   Oh and we need a reliable TE who can last a season.  We can get the RT in FA if we want to pay.  The LB situation is probably the hardest one to fix. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We don't have an offensive line & this same defensive roster was historically bad last season.   This isn't getting fixed in one offseason. 

We don't have a Right Tackle. That can easily be fixed in FA.  All of our linebackers and TE won't be hurt this year me thinks.  Andy will be the starting QB.  If the team decides to actually particiapate in FA we can be a wild card team easily IF the coaching staff is sound.

26 minutes ago, SF2 said:

We don't have a Right Tackle. That can easily be fixed in FA.  All of our linebackers and TE won't be hurt this year me thinks.  Andy will be the starting QB.  If the team decides to actually particiapate in FA we can be a wild card team easily IF the coaching staff is sound.

Our LT predictably didn't last the season & hasn't made it through one in years.  Neither of our RG's looked like much of anything.  Rookie C struggled but at least he is likely to get better.  We still have no depth at any of the 5 positions and at least one of our starters is likely to miss games at some point, not just because Glenn has done so every year previously (something we for some reason seem happy to overlook once again) but also because it's simply a grueling spot to play.  

Our LB's were shit when they were healthy.  The defense was not just bad by 2018 standards, but record-settingly bad.  If we're lucky we can draft or sign 2-3 guys that can play at a high level.  Very, very lucky. Expecting draft picks and cut-rate FA's to turn this thing around immediately is wishful thinking.

New offensive scheme, new defensive scheme, new position coaches and HC.  

If they go to a wild card game this year they will be sitting in the stands.  I don't understand how this is even a question.  We all saw this team last year.  We all know the changes that have taken place.  

If this isn't a rebuild, what is?

35 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Our LT predictably didn't last the season & hasn't made it through one in years.  Neither of our RG's looked like much of anything.  Rookie C struggled but at least he is likely to get better.  We still have no depth at any of the 5 positions and at least one of our starters is likely to miss games at some point, not just because Glenn has done so every year previously (something we for some reason seem happy to overlook once again) but also because it's simply a grueling spot to play.  

Our LB's were shit when they were healthy.  The defense was not just bad by 2018 standards, but record-settingly bad.  If we're lucky we can draft or sign 2-3 guys that can play at a high level.  Very, very lucky. Expecting draft picks and cut-rate FA's to turn this thing around immediately is wishful thinking.

New offensive scheme, new defensive scheme, new position coaches and HC.  

If they go to a wild card game this year they will be sitting in the stands.  I don't understand how this is even a question.  We all saw this team last year.  We all know the changes that have taken place.  

If this isn't a rebuild, what is?

I don't disagree.  As I said, if they want to spend money in FA ala the LA Rams the team can get better in a hurry. If they don't then yep, gonna take a couple of years at best.

4 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I don't disagree.  As I said, if they want to spend money in FA ala the LA Rams the team can get better in a hurry. If they don't then yep, gonna take a couple of years at best.

What, and jeopardize our comp picks?

:grin-min:

We're in a rebuilding mode. I expect there will be a lot of staff turnover after the 2019 season. Maybe people who were passed over by everyone else will turn out to be great hires. Or maybe they will be kept on because even though they aren't great hires, they deserve a chance longer than 1 year. 

My expectations are for Taylor to improve the offense and Anarumo to improve the defense. 

Hate to say it, but rebuild. Which is a damn shame considering I dont really think Pitt and Bal are really all that good. Could be the Browns time to shine, which made me throw up in my mouth a lil bit

Can't see Mikey agreeing to a full tear down/build it back rebuild.  If by strange chance it turns out he is, then it's time to deal Dalton immediately and draft a new savior.  Dalton's not getting any younger and probably not improving performance any.  If they are tearing down the house he needs to go for the best available offer.                                               

13 hours ago, SF2 said:

If they don’t go all in during FA I see a few years of rebuild. AJ Green will not be hanging around here for a rebuild and I cant see Mikey tagging him. 

How many FA's could they sign?  

Still,  a 3-year rebuild is well within AJ's window.  I do think some convincing needs to happen with him & likely others.  I'm sure the phenomenal Bobby NoHart will be available either way so there's that.  What we do with our own RFA's will be a good indication of how they see things.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

How many FA's could they sign?  

Still,  a 3-year rebuild is well within AJ's window.  I do think some convincing needs to happen with him & likely others.  I'm sure the phenomenal Bobby NoHart will be available either way so there's that.  What we do with our own RFA's will be a good indication of how they see things.

You are assuming AJ wants to be part of the rebuild.  Guy has never won a playoff game and is one of the best receivers this century.  Bengals are 4-13-1 with him on the bench.  They are 67-47-1 when he plays.  He is highly resepected in this league and makes Andy Dalton look far better than he really is.  

Archived