Are the Bengals in a win now or rebuilding phase?

Are the Bengals in a "win now" or "rebuilding" phase?   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Given the turnover in the coaching staff and players on the roster what are your exceptions for the 2019 Bengals?

• Win Now
    • Rebuilding

29 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Which is why the Bengals will tag AJ if need be. 

Tagging him but not going all in to get quality FAs will solve nothing.  I makes us a borderline playoff team, nothing more.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:03 PM, T-Dub said:

We don't have an offensive line & this same defensive roster was historically bad last season.   This isn't getting fixed in one offseason. 

This. 

I don't think we are in complete rebuild mode, but we have at least 2-3 years before we can really compete again.

34 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

This. 

I don't think we are in complete rebuild mode, but we have at least 2-3 years before we can really compete again.

For a SB anyway. I could see back to flirting with a WC next year.  AFCN is trending down & I'll believe the Browns are contenders when they go over .500 All this predicated on a good draft & at least getting some depth in FA.  Gonna have to to dig deep for some of our own FA's too.  I hope they've learned something there.

I can also picture it being a fire in a circus tent.  Should be a fun camp to see either way.  Grill some armadillo and watch the sideshow.  GIG EM YEE HA

3354_texas_am_aggies-primary-1972.png

On 3/1/2019 at 12:03 PM, T-Dub said:

We don't have an offensive line & this same defensive roster was historically bad last season.   This isn't getting fixed in one offseason. 

44 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

This. 

Our offensive line can be greatly improved by replacing Redmond with Westerman or even Hopkins, and adding a RT in the draft or free agency.

Our defense is far more talented than their ranking last season.  They do need at least 1, and preferably 2, LBs, but they played significantly better after Marvin took over.

If the off season is handled properly (and we don't get devastated by injuries again) we can compete for the division in 2019.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Our offensive line can be greatly improved by replacing Redmond with Westerman or even Hopkins

Better than Redmond isn't much of an endorsement.  Also we don't have a single OT we can count on.  2-3 good draft picks on OL and a couple of depth FA's could maybe get it done?  That's hitting big in the draft and spending money, we haven't done either of those things lately.  

The defense was putrid, even the DL was disappointing.  A rookie LB isn't going to fix that on his own.

32 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Better than Redmond isn't much of an endorsement.  Also we don't have a single OT we can count on.  2-3 good draft picks on OL and a couple of depth FA's could maybe get it done?  That's hitting big in the draft and spending money, we haven't done either of those things lately.  

The defense was putrid, even the DL was disappointing.  A rookie LB isn't going to fix that on his own.

Glenn played 13 of 16 games last year and played well. He had nobody behind him to spell him even a few plays. Nobody. Hart would be a decent backup who could start in a pinch and not be total shit. After that we have absolutely NOTHING at the Tackle position. We must address the O Line in FA. That means we need to spend money. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Our offensive line can be greatly improved by replacing Redmond with Westerman or even Hopkins, and adding a RT in the draft or free agency.

Our defense is far more talented than their ranking last season.  They do need at least 1, and preferably 2, LBs, but they played significantly better after Marvin took over.

If the off season is handled properly (and we don't get devastated by injuries again) we can compete for the division in 2019.

Agreed. I just don't see all the Whoa is me talk.  

Dave Shula won his first two games...before reality set in and the clusterfuck circus show began in earnest. Boy Wonder and his band of Let's Play Real Live NFL Coordinators will not even get the 2-0 surge. Firmly predicting 5 straight losses to open the season. This year has 1993 written all over it. 

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The staff is pretty underwhelming. We basically had to beg to fill some of the slots. 

Big job for a new HC and coordinators to hold it together.  Hoping we can eke out at least a few wins early so he doesn't lose the team's attention.

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

Glenn played 13 of 16 games last year and played well. He had nobody behind him to spell him even a few plays. Nobody. Hart would be a decent backup who could start in a pinch and not be total shit. After that we have absolutely NOTHING at the Tackle position. We must address the O Line in FA. That means we need to spend money. 

Glenn was decent, I think he looked better next to Boling & in contrast to the clown car routine going on around them.  They may have just shut him down out of caution in a lost season but it still raises questions about his durability.  At best I think he is a short-term solution.  I certainly wouldn't let him stop me from drafting an OT at 11.

Bolded is not hyperbole btw, as I read it Glenn is really the only OT under contract for next year.  We need to sign at least 3 of them aside from designated camp fodder.  I think we're stuck with Hart for another year and that realization is probably why Coach Restraining Order is singing his praises to the media.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Glenn was decent, I think he looked better next to Boling & in contrast to the clown car routine going on around them.  They may have just shut him down out of caution in a lost season but it still raises questions about his durability.  At best I think he is a short-term solution.  I certainly wouldn't let him stop me from drafting an OT at 11.

Bolded is not hyperbole btw, as I read it Glenn is really the only OT under contract for next year.  We need to sign at least 3 of them aside from designated camp fodder.  I think we're stuck with Hart for another year and that realization is probably why Coach Restraining Order is singing his praises to the media.

Believe me I would like a better 3rd OT than Hart but I don't think that will be an option.  I think they have to resign him and obviously find a starting RT and hopefully a better RG.  Gonna have to hope the center position is set for 4 more years.  I agree Glenn is decent, nothing more.

20 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Agreed. I just don't see all the Whoa is me talk.  

Well y'know for most people last season was a massive disappointment and pretty hard to stomach at times.  Good for you for singing in the rain but I think you can forgive some of us our bellyaching.  A decade of blown opportunities and bad decisions will have that effect.   That's cool if you disagree but making fun of people for it comes off a little tone-deaf, to put it nicely. The animosity on here is misplaced. At the end of the day you're watching the same team I am & we both want them to win more.  

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Well y'know for most people last season was a massive disappointment and pretty hard to stomach at times.  Good for you for singing in the rain but I think you can forgive some of us our bellyaching.  A decade of blown opportunities and bad decisions will have that effect.   That's cool if you disagree but making fun of people for it comes off a little tone-deaf, to put it nicely. The animosity on here is misplaced. At the end of the day you're watching the same team I am & we both want them to win more.  

Sorry that you feel that way.  However, when the most common post is about how much this (player, coach, member of management) sucks, then some of it is well deserved.  There is hardly ever a thread on here about Anything Remotely Positive.  We've got an All pro WR, another blossoming receiver who was the subject of many questioning posts the previous year, but not a word since he came into his own, the leading rusher in the AFC, and even with all the bitching, a solid top 15 QB.  But instead, we bitch about an injured TE, the backup QB, and any other negative shiggaty we can find.  And now, when you finally get what you've wanted for a decade, Marvin Gone, you now have gone to bitching about every friggin' decision made by the new coach before we've even seen ONE DAMN PRACTICE!  Forgive me for thinking that this has gone from being a Fan board to being a Bitching Board.

18 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Sorry that you feel that way.  However, when the most common post is about how much this (player, coach, member of management) sucks, then some of it is well deserved.  There is hardly ever a thread on here about Anything Remotely Positive.  We've got an All pro WR, another blossoming receiver who was the subject of many questioning posts the previous year, but not a word since he came into his own, the leading rusher in the AFC, and even with all the bitching, a solid top 15 QB.  But instead, we bitch about an injured TE, the backup QB, and any other negative shiggaty we can find.  And now, when you finally get what you've wanted for a decade, Marvin Gone, you now have gone to bitching about every friggin' decision made by the new coach before we've even seen ONE DAMN PRACTICE!  Forgive me for thinking that this has gone from being a Fan board to being a Bitching Board.

Keep in mind we are in the time of the year that you try and fix your problems.  There isn't any reason to talk about AJ Green , Atkins, Dunlap or Boyd this time of the year since they are not going to be replaced and any contract discussion will happen after the draft.   It was floated that Ross was being shopped.  True or not, that is something you discuss this time of year, not whether AJ Green can get back to the pro-bowl when we haven't even seen him run drills in camp.  

If we start off strong in FA and address some problems with quality FA signings there will be plenty of positive posts but its not been something the Bengals have done much of historically.  Picking up Glenn and Hart last year probably saved us from a 4-12 season but the result wasn't all that much better. 

If you want to start a "Boyd is awesome" thread, do it.  It might last a day or two but he isn't news right now.  Nobody has lengthy discussions about players they don't need to replace during FA.  

Archived