The Case for Drafting a TE at 11

Noah Fant or TJ Hockinson.  I wanted OJ Howard a couple of years ago and we know how that went.  i understand the OL, LB and TEs are huge needs and based of of importance OL and LB are probably more important.  However, with the weakness at OL, lack of depth and WR and noTEs currently signed, TE wouldn't be a bad choice.  Let's take Hockinson for example.  It looks like he's a great blocker for a TE.  That immediately helps the Oline.  He's a really good receiver as well and that helps with the lack of WR depth.  Hockinson would help the line more than Fant would, but Fant tested off of the charts at the combine and would be more of a Tyler Eifert like presence (hopefully).  If one of the top Tackles (Dillard, J. Williams, Taylor) aren't available and White and Bush are gone, I hope the team really considers one of the Iowa TEs.  While I don't think it's a sexy pick, it can help alleviate some of the roster pains we have on oline, te and wr all in one pick.  

12 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Saw a mock on CBS that had Hockenson go #7 to Jags.

Not sure how we will use the tight end. Rams had a TE in 90% of the plays but mostly used them as a blocker. We don't really know how Taylor will use it yet.

Hopefully he tries to fit the offense to the roster and not the other way around.

56 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Saw a mock on CBS that had Hockenson go #7 to Jags.

Not sure how we will use the tight end. Rams had a TE in 90% of the plays but mostly used them as a blocker. We don't really know how Taylor will use it yet.

I know the Raiders used Jared Cook a lot in Oakland (didn't really have any other option). I think Callahan made a point to mention that in one of his interviews.

I'd look for them to target a blocking one with at least some receiving upside. Hopefully Eifert, but I wouldn't mind Hockenson.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Lately it has been:

Oline = Bust

And that may not change much this year.  Only one of the OTs checked all of the athletic boxes, Dillard.  I was listening to the Locked on Bengals podcast and they thought Jonah Williams and Cody Ford tested like guards.  Taylor is likely the only other "sure" OT in this draft. The other guys who might be able to start right away (like Risner) likely don't make it to 42.  We may need to get our starting tackle in free agency.  

If the Bengals do not significantly improve the OT and LB positions in free agency, TE can't be a realistic option in the first round. I did mention in another thread that TE and CB are believably realistic positions for the Bengals to consider in the first but, it would be a huge mistake if those mammoth holes at OT and LB are not already addressed. The Bengals have allowed two separate units to become among the worst in the league. Time to pay the piper and invest in them.

I feel like we've already talked ourselves out of OL at 11 simply because it's not exciting enough.  I really don't want to watch another beast of a LB afraid to hit anyone.  Much rather have a DB or pass rusher if we go defense there. I don't see LB as a top-10 value position in the current NFL and I'm not even sure about a DE.  Every time a QB gets hit we're looking for a flag.  I'd rather have our secondary be the focus.

I don't think TE is worth a top 10 pick either, on that note. 

19 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Lately it has been:

Oline = Bust

Outside of Cedric and Fisher the early round picks have been average starters at the least. 

Just because the Bengals haven't had success with drafting and developing young o-linemen doesn't mean they can't draft any early going forward. 

If they are not going to participate in the first wave of FA then you have to draft and develop your early round picks.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

And that may not change much this year.  Only one of the OTs checked all of the athletic boxes, Dillard.  I was listening to the Locked on Bengals podcast and they thought Jonah Williams and Cody Ford tested like guards.  Taylor is likely the only other "sure" OT in this draft. The other guys who might be able to start right away (like Risner) likely don't make it to 42.  We may need to get our starting tackle in free agency.  

No offense to the guys at Locked on Bengals but Jonah Williams is an OT, if he's there at 11 the Bengals would wise to draft him

30 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

No offense to the guys at Locked on Bengals but Jonah Williams is an OT, if he's there at 11 the Bengals would wise to draft him

Yes he is and no he won't be. 

Archived