Health Care in America

oldschooler

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2019 at 5:39 PM, oldschooler said:

The Fox Townhall series have been great for the Dems that have shown up. Were allowed to voice their opinions and were asked tough questions about their policies.  Those who have attended did themselves a favor. 

The one thing about Medicare for all is the misconception that it is free.   There is a $1364 annual deductible and if you are in the hospital more than 60 days a daily $341 co insurance payment.  After 90 days you pay everything.  Skilled nursing, if you qualify is only good for 20 days then you have to pay.  Part B is $189.60 a month to cover doc visits.   If you want prescriptions paid for  you need part D which isn't free either. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 2:05 PM, SF2 said:

The Fox Townhall series have been great for the Dems that have shown up. Were allowed to voice their opinions and were asked tough questions about their policies.  Those who have attended did themselves a favor. 

The one thing about Medicare for all is the misconception that it is free.   There is a $1364 annual deductible and if you are in the hospital more than 60 days a daily $341 co insurance payment.  After 90 days you pay everything.  Skilled nursing, if you qualify is only good for 20 days then you have to pay.  Part B is $189.60 a month to cover doc visits.   If you want prescriptions paid for  you need part D which isn't free either. 

Medicare for all isnt what the current Medicare system would be, its an understandable misnomer 

12 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Medicare for all isnt what the current Medicare system would be, its an understandable misnomer 

Well, can you point me to something to explain what "Medicare for All" actually means?

17 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Obviously, the hospital and doctors did not forward the proper information.  Once this is done they will get paid.  You don't actually think the hospital or doctor would perform a service knowing they might not get paid do you?    If you read past the highlighted part, they asked the hospital for the information to include test results but didn't get them.  I worked at Anthem for over a year and this happens quite frequently.  A request for payment with no supporting documentation due to a clerical error.  Usually, the electronic records were sent to the wrong place or the SSN has one incorrect digit.   One of the bigger costs at a hospital in terms of manpower is BILLING.  

About $60 billion in fraud occurs every year in Medicare.  The corruption in the medical field is second only to defense contractors.  One look at the opioid epedemic which was fueled by doctors writing bogus prescriptions and drug companies shipping massive amounts of drugs to tiny pharmacies in West Virginia should tell you that.  Add in Workman's Comp fraud and SS disability fraud to the mix and this type of response should not surprise you.   Healthcare Insurers don't like to be ripped off anymore than the next guy. 

32 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Speed reader? Because you read the link I provided awfully fast.

(Also, No, NHS is a two-tier public/private system. Medicare for all would be single payer.)

Yeah, I am a speed reader. Actually, I had already read that article but that is only Sander's version of Medicare for All.   And we will have a two tier healthcare system as well.  If you honestly think the wealthy in this country will be waiting in lines behind the peasants, you are wrong.   They will create their own healthcare system in places like Puerto Rico or the Bahamas.    The biggest take away from both articles is costs in the UK have been going up faster than in the US and outcomes are not as good.  The real issue is the health of our citizenry is worse than the UK with obesity rates 30% higher in the US.  Add in the fact that it will cover EVERYONE and we will have an immigration crisis like never before. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, I am a speed reader. Actually, I had already read that article but that is only Sander's version of Medicare for All.   And we will have a two tier healthcare system as well.  If you honestly think the wealthy in this country will be waiting in lines behind the peasants, you are wrong.   They will create their own healthcare system in places like Puerto Rico or the Bahamas.    The biggest take away from both articles is costs in the UK have been going up faster than in the US and outcomes are not as good.  The real issue is the health of our citizenry is worse than the UK with obesity rates 30% higher in the US.  Add in the fact that it will cover EVERYONE and we will have an immigration crisis like never before. 

Well Medicare for All prohibits private insurance for the same things it covers by law, so I'm not sure why you think the rich would create a separate system. More likely they would just pay cash.

I don't disagree with you about the obesity problem and think we need to do something about that and can do so at least in part by reorganizing the costs of healthier options and taxing the junk food to pay for that.

Net immigration from Mexico is down, not sure why you think there is a immigration crisis, a humanitarian crisis at the border yes, immigration, not so much.

Interesting enough I was watching this and the gentleman makes the argument that because of the oncoming baby boomer retirements we are actually going to need MORE immigration, not less..

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Well Medicare for All prohibits private insurance for the same things it covers by law, so I'm not sure why you think the rich would create a separate system. More likely they would just pay cash.

I don't disagree with you about the obesity problem and think we need to do something about that and can do so at least in part by reorganizing the costs of healthier options and taxing the junk food to pay for that.

Net immigration from Mexico is down, not sure why you think there is a immigration crisis, a humanitarian crisis at the border yes, immigration, not so much.

Interesting enough I was watching this and the gentleman makes the argument that because of the oncoming baby boomer retirements we are actually going to need MORE immigration, not less..

Mexico is not where most immigrants are coming from.  I am all for legal immigration and a well run guest worker program. That is not even close to what is happening.  Automation and AI will reduce the need for more immigration soon. Then Will Smith and John Conner will need to save us. 

On 7/23/2019 at 2:36 PM, SF2 said:

Mexico is not where most immigrants are coming from.  I am all for legal immigration and a well run guest worker program. That is not even close to what is happening.  Automation and AI will reduce the need for more immigration soon. Then Will Smith and John Conner will need to save us. 

and something nobody wants to talk about but US forigen policy towards south america is a part of the reason they are forced to come here as we maybe should not have spent out time destabilizing them, as such we have a moral obligation to help now

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is my story :  my son who is 27 started having seizures , he was let go from his employer because of it , so now he is unemployed and has no insurance , he has tried to work several jobs but when he has a seizure he is let go so he can't work long enough to acquire healthcare,  we tried to get him into a neurologist (out of pocket)  there are only like 6 neurologists in our area,  5 would not see him because he doesn't have insurance, we finally found one that would accept our cash but took 6 months to get him in,  the Dr prescribed a drug to see if it would work for his seizures,  $1200 for a 30 day supply, the Dr has been giving him free samples , we got a call from his girlfriend last month telling us that he was in the hospital from a seizure,  he ran out of the free samples and didn't want to burden us ,  we got him back to the Dr and he has a new medicine that is cheaper ,  it is making his seizures less frequent and milder but he's still having them, the expensive medicine kept them away ,   he needs an MRI but they want $2400 up front before they will give him one , the thing is no one is sure the MRI is even going to show what the cause is so its a coin flip for $2400  , he has applied for social security disability and has the hospital and his Dr working to get it through, , if he is denied once we go broke which we've went through a good portion of our savings he will have no way to cover his expenses and could potentially die , our health care is a national emergency

I don't care what our govt and psychopathic leaders need to do but health care for all has to happen, I'm sick of the excuses, I'm sick of hearing that 45,000 people a year in the USA dies from lack of healthcare , I'm sick of hearing we can't compare our country to all the other countries that its working in , I'm sick of people defending the psychopaths that say it won't work here, it has to work,   just pretend its a war, pretend we are attacking a country in the middle east, we always find money for tax breaks for the wealthy and money for wars, we have to figure it out because our people are dying and our leaders don't give a fuck 

Archived