Top 10 picks

We pick 11, so what happens before us is quite important. It's impossible to predict 100% with free agency pending and teams trading up. 

1. Arizona Cardinals

Team needs - OL, DL, WR, LB, CB

The pick - QB Kyler Murray, Oklahoma. The Cardinals have a lot of needs up and down the roster. Murray is the overwhelming favorite despite Rosen being here. I buy the hype. Kingsbury has no attachment to Rosen and Murray fits his offense perfectly.

Other scenarios - If this is all a smoke screen I could see DE Nick Bosa or DT Quinnen Williams go here.

2. San Francisco 49ers

Team needs - DE, DB, LB, WR

The pick - DE Nick Bosa, Ohio State. A consensus top 3 pick at their biggest position of need. It's a perfect match.

Other scenarios - If Bosa goes #1 I can see the 49ers be involved in a trade down for someone to take Murray. If they stay put, DT Quinnen Williams or DE Josh Allen could also be the pick.

3. New York Jets

Team needs - OT, DE, LB, WR

The pick - DT Quinnen Williams, Alabama. Would be the first pick in most drafts. The next Aaron Donald.

Other scenarios - If the draft goes this way this is a prime spot for a trade. Jets and Giants swapping benefits both teams. Giants get Haskins and Jets still land a premier DL prospect plus extra picks. DE Josh Allen would also be a great pick and fill a big need.

4. Oakland Raiders 

Team needs - DL, WR, CB, LB

The pick - DE Josh Allen, Kentucky. The Raiders had the worst pass rush in the league in 2018. Allen is a long, lean athletic pass rusher who should improve that greatly.

Other scenarios - Oakland has been sniffing around QBs a lot and Gruden is said to love Murray. I don't see Murray dropping here so they'd need a trade up. DT Quinnen Williams is a no brainer if he's still here. 

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Team needs - DL, LB, DB, WR

The pick - LB Devin White, LSU. I think White ends up going a lot higher than expected. With the Bucs move to a 3-4 they need to add linebackers.

Other scenarios - In a possible trade up to #3 scenario by the Giants, Josh Allen could be available. He's the perfect fit as he fills a huge need and is scheme versatile.

6. New York Giants

Team needs - QB, OL, DL, LB

The pick - QB Dwayne Haskins, OSU. I am convinced this is who they pick. But after a trade up to the top 4. It makes too much sense as far as fit and need. Bonus that Haskins grew up a Giants fan.

Other scenarios - If they somehow land Rosen as the QB of the future, they could add a LT in Jawaan Taylor, DE Rashan Gary or LB Devin White here. 

7. Jacksonville Jaguars

Team needs - OT, DL, DB, QB

The pick - OT Jawaan Taylor, Florida. All indications are Foles is getting a multi year deal here. They need to build a strong OL or it won't matter who is at QB. Taylor can play either side of the OL.

Other scenarios - If for some reason Foles falls through, QB absolutely needs addressed. Drew Lock is the best available here. They also need a pass rusher so Rashan Gary or Montez Sweat make a lot of sense.

8. Detroit Lions

Team needs - DE, DB, WR, TE

The pick - DE Rashan Gary, Michigan. Ansah is likely gone in free agency. Adding a freak athlete with upside who played in Michigan makes sense. Gary compares favorably to Ansah.

Other scenarios - DE Montez Sweat could go higher than Gary based off of his ridiculous combine performance. He was more productive than Gary in college but isn't as smooth an athlete as he tested. TE T.J. Hockensen could be the weapon in the middle of the field Stafford has never had.

9. Buffalo Bills

Team needs - WR, OL, DL, CB

The pick - WR D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss. Josh Allen can't develop as a passer if he has nobody to throw to. Metcalf's size and speed will pair perfectly with Allen's cannon arm. 

Other scenarios - OT is a huge need. Jonah Williams isn't getting a lot of love after the combine but the tape doesn't lie. Andre Dillard could also be their new LT. Montez Sweat is probably the BPA but I went with offense.

10. Denver Broncos

Team needs - QB, WR, CB, OT

The pick - QB Drew Lock, Missouri. Lots of rumors that Elway loves Lock. I'm guessing they will trade up to around 7 or 8 to secure him. Flacco isn't the future.

Other scenarios - Rumored to be in the Rosen race. Such a deal would change this pick. Adding a stud LT like Andre Dillard or Jonah Williams would greatly improve the offense.

What's left for the Bengals?

DE Montez Sweat, Mississippi State - Tested out at Clowney level but the tape doesn't really match it. Still a great athlete with SEC production. Not necessarily a need though with Dunlap locked up and young Hubbard/Lawson.

LB Devin Bush, Michigan - Basically Troy P. but a LB. Flies around the field. Can cover, blitz and defend the run. Huge need and a great fit.

OT Andre Dillard, Washington State - Ultra athletic tackle from Leach's air raid offense. Great footwork and tremendous pass blocker. Not a good run blocker. Technique in question because of the offense he's from.

OT Jonah Williams, Alabama - Was the consensus top tackle based off tape. Silly season came around and he was found to be undersized. Some teams are considering him a guard. He is extremely smart and hardworking. Will be a long time NFL starter at whatever position he ends up.

DT Ed Oliver, Houston - Great athlete and scheme versatile. Undersized for DT though and doesn't have the length to be an every down end. Most dominating college player in 2017. Down year in 2018. 

first let me say that while I've only posted here since the past season, I've been reading for years and I've always thought that you were far and away the best draft poster here - AkiliMVP - nice work.

I'm slowly warming towards Bush (especially with your description) - but - damn we need to fix this O-line.

So I would opt for one of the linemen, unless somehow we address that adequately in free agency (I know, I know   😕)

13 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Brian Burns' name needs to be in with that group, IMO....kid is a stud and offers supreme versatility. 

I thought about him. He's getting top 10 talk. Ridiculous combine. Probably better as a 3-4 LB.

I meant to add this: 

Mock with projected trades

1. Cardinals - QB Kyler Murray

2. 49ers DE Nick Bosa

3. Giants from Jets - QB Dwayne Haskins

4. Raiders - DT Quinnen Williams

5. Bucs - DE Josh Allen

6. Jets from Giants - OT Jawaan Taylor

7. Jaguars - DE Rashan Gary

8. Broncos from Lions - QB Drew Lock

9. Bills - WR D.K. Metcalf

10. Lions from Broncos - DE Montez Sweat

Dunno where to put White. Think he does go top 10. If he does drop to 11 we better run to the podium.

39 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I thought about him. He's getting top 10 talk. Ridiculous combine. Probably better as a 3-4 LB.

He's a high intensity, high character guy...I think he'll be great at any spot he's asked to play.

It definitely wouldn't hurt my feelings any if they took him at 11. I really like the kid.

Burns is a refined pass rusher that dominated power five competition throughout his college career. While it's easy to love his high-variance, technically refined and gifted pass rushing skill set, Burns is a more versatile defender than he is often credited for. He can win from a three-point or stand-up position with playmaking ability against the run, in coverage and attacking the quarterback. His blend of length, flexibility, technical refinement, football IQ and burst serve as a strong foundation for him to become a dynamic playmaking defender in the NFL.

2 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

Dunno where to put White. Think he does go top 10. If he does drop to 11 we better run to the podium.

He's the only guy I would be tempted to take instead of an OL, but I doubt he makes it past the Bucs.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:28 PM, gupps said:

Put me down for one of the tackles (or trade down and take one if you don't think its worth the pick). The right side of the oline was a dumpster fire and you have to fix it.

If there's a guy that they believe can be a 10-year starter at LT, I take them and move Glenn to RT.  I'd want to try & avoid having to scramble to fill LT mid-season after Glenn goes on IR.  Glenn might not love the idea, but he's got the bulk to be a RT.  They seem to like Hart more than I do so if they can get him short-term at a decent price, let him compete at RG and back RT.  If somebody is there when we pick later in the draft that can (ideally) back both sides and potentially develop into a starter @ RT, I'd like to see them grab them as well.

52 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

With these huge contracts free agent LBs are getting I think we are nearly a lock for White or Bush. Especially with the Hart deal.

Fine.  White 1st round, best available Tackle round 2. 

Starting to look pretty unlikely the Bengals will upgrade much at OT or LB in free agency. My first choice if available is Devin White followed by Dillard or Ford. Can't see any way, at this juncture, that they can select anything but OT or LB in the first and maybe second rounds.

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Starting to look pretty unlikely the Bengals will upgrade much at OT or LB in free agency. My first choice if available is Devin White followed by Dillard or Ford. Can't see any way, at this juncture, that they can select anything but OT or LB in the first and maybe second rounds.

Definitely think we can land a good OT prospect in round 2. Cody Ford and Greg Little could drop there. Dalton Risner, Yodny Cajuste, David Edwards are all good solid RT prospects rated around our 2nd pick.

A draft of Bush/white at 11 and one of these guys in round 2 would have me feeling good.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Lmao....it's been one day, Cletus 😂

One day in the new free agency era. Most of the solid players have been signed and/or committed. At OT and/or LB, only KJ Wright and Daryl Williams remain as viable upgrades. One day is a long time. A very long time.  

19 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

One day in the new free agency era. Most of the solid players have been signed and/or committed. At OT and/or LB, only KJ Wright and Daryl Williams remain as viable upgrades. One day is a long time. A very long time. 

So in other words...if  they don't sign a big name FA on day one, they might as well not even bother after that....does that sum it up?

Archived