Bengals re-sign Bobby Hart 3 yrs $21 million

I've had some time to process this. I was hoping I'd wake up and it was all a nightmare. Alas it is real.

The real numbers of the deal make me feel better. That's not starting tackle money. Front loaded makes it easy to cut ties with him. I don't think this keeps us from taking a tackle in the draft at all. 

I think they were more comfortable with Hart, a guy they know who has chemistry with current line, vs the unknown FA. I don't necessarily agree with it but I get it.

So now they have a guy they like at RT on backup tackle salary starting. They will add a tackle in the draft at some point. Doesn't have to be early. Most starting RTs weren't drafted high. Take a couple and hope we find a gem. Let them compete with Hart. If they win, good. If Hart wins... hopefully he's improved.

41 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

call names all you want.. 

He was literally one of/if not the worst tackles in football last year.. this is a terrible signing.

It's not worth flipping out over like most here have done. 

Not our money, not our team....if they wanna run it into the ground, more power to them. 

13 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Nobody knows how it's going to turn out or what the full plan is. Not even internet football geniuses. It's a little early to write off the entire season on one questionable signing like half of the fanbase has.

I don't think many have written off the season (I haven't for sure)

If they draft a tackle to take that spot and Hart is just value as a backup.. I am super fine with this.

But if they line him up starting day and only sign someone even worse than him as depth... not cool 

Just now, fluhartz said:

I don't think many have written off the season (I haven't for sure)

If they draft a tackle to take that spot and Hart is just value as a backup.. I am super fine with this.

But if they line him up starting day and only sign someone even worse than him as depth... not cool 

The last time I checked, free agency hasn't actually even started.  I will give it a week before I start chiming "Same old Bengals".  We signed Hart because we HAD to have a body at that position ASAP.  You can't go into the draft having NOTHING at that position.  Yeah, Hart got paid too much, that is what the first 3 days of FA is all about. You can blame the Rams for all of this.  They over spent at key positions 2 years ago trying to make a run,..and it worked. 

I will make this prediction, Hart will not be our starting Right Tackle for more than 4 games.  We can still pick up a guy like Joe Barksdale, Jermon Bushrod, Jared Veldheer or Kendal Lamm.  Probably get Bushrod on a 1 year deal fairly cheap.  Ok players.  The reason Hart was signed was simple:  The Bengals desperately want somebody in this draft that is not a tackle.  They can't arrive at the draft with NOBODY at the position

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

It's not worth flipping out over like most here have done. 

Not our money, not our team....if they wanna run it into the ground, more power to them. 

not flipping out, just voicing my opinion.

I won't lose sleep over it.. lol

I quit giving the Brown family money in 2013, I just still really want them to win.

38 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I've had some time to process this. I was hoping I'd wake up and it was all a nightmare. Alas it is real.

The real numbers of the deal make me feel better. That's not starting tackle money. Front loaded makes it easy to cut ties with him. I don't think this keeps us from taking a tackle in the draft at all. 

I think they were more comfortable with Hart, a guy they know who has chemistry with current line, vs the unknown FA. I don't necessarily agree with it but I get it.

So now they have a guy they like at RT on backup tackle salary starting. They will add a tackle in the draft at some point. Doesn't have to be early. Most starting RTs weren't drafted high. Take a couple and hope we find a gem. Let them compete with Hart. If they win, good. If Hart wins... hopefully he's improved.

Yeah, the posts and tweets I've seen that imply that this makes the Bengals OL set for 2019 is ridiculous. But one was from our ESPN team writer that is absolutely horrible and a troll. So we have her and P-dork. 2 bengals trolls actually paid to cover the team. And a bunch of whiny fans that listen to them.

I still don't have a problem with signing this guy. I think it was a great idea to have him on the roster... I just don't know who they were seriously bidding against to get to the number (even the new number less than $21 million). I find it hard to believe he was getting offers that would be near this on day 1 of the FA game.

This front office has always seemed to be willing to roll the dice and have let MUCH better players see what is out there on the market. But they seemed to be in the "do whatever it takes to get him back here" position on a guy that is unquestionably a below average starter. I just don't understand the urgency, especially from the organization that is without a doubt the least aggressive among the 32 in existence.

Doubtful there was any "bidding". During this gangland Legal Tampering Time--which only began at Midnight Sunday--there was limited time for agents to get their proposals out. They targeted the targets with the most opportunity for big dollars. Maybe there were multiple shotguns out to different franchises, but not much time for everyone to "bid". This isn't like it's going to be starting tomorrow--where there is ample time to process, consider, and act.    

Conversation within the confines of Paul Brown Stadium:

Zac: "The Bengals have a reputation for low-balling players on new contracts.  We need to change that perception."

Katie: "I'm on it."  

Shortly followed with a call to Hart's agent.

:shrug:

20 hours ago, Jason said:

Calm down folks, it’s all part of the plan. Trevor Lawrence here we come!

:24: 

You joke, but if this isn't our own version of "Operation: Suck for Luck" then.. well.. there's only one word for it:

PHENOMENAL 

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

Yeah, the posts and tweets I've seen that imply that this makes the Bengals OL set for 2019 is ridiculous.

Anyone even hinting at that loses all credibility, like flat Earth Obama is a lizard stuff.  In fact I've never been to outer space but anyone could watch this OL on Sundays and know better (aside from our inflatable doll-fucking OL coach).

3 years is not a "Band-Aid while we fix this mess" contract.  What a joke.

Bengals re-sign OT Bobby Hart (3 years, $21 million): FARMER FAIL, GRIGSON GAFFE, CERRATO SUCKAGE, BAALKE BLOOPER, CHIP TRAGEDY, KING CALAMITY Grade 
I may have to re-name this "F"/new Millen grade to just Bengals Grade. I thought Cincinnati re-signing C.J. Uzomah was awful, yet this deal is even worse! 

Bobby Hart was one of the worst offensive linemen in the NFL last year. I graded him as a 1.5-star free agent, meaning that he's an average backup. Why on Earth would Cincinnati pay an average backup lineman $7 million per season? It makes no sense. It would be like paying $50,000 for a pack of gum. Yes, you sometimes need a pack of gum, just like teams sometimes need a backup tackle, but there's no reason to spend an obscene amount of money on either item! 

This is just sad. The Bengals look completely lost without Marvin Lewis, and it's only been two months since they've fired him. I'd say the bad opinion sports media should take some accountability for being responsible for the Lewis firing, but that's never going to happen because they'll just move on to other dumb talking points and forget that they did anything wrong here. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#ixzz5hz78vDwq

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#6Frm3X2eDpqT4jPP.99

14 minutes ago, Hooky said:

There's a link to read more? That was plenty. Lost without Marvin? Should Zac be fired before the draft even gets here? Years of trying to get rid of Marvin, now people want Zac canned already?

I think his point was Marvin was the only thing good in Cincy and that the media got him fired.  

35 minutes ago, Girevik said:

I think it's a bargain.  He'll never commit another penalty or give up another sack because he got them all out of the way last year,  right? 

I think that is what Junior High School football is for. 

Archived