Bengals re-sign Bobby Hart 3 yrs $21 million

11 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Because they already signed Hart.  I have to assume they are going O line high now because he is NOT the solution at Right tackle over 16 games. 

Yeah I'm not sure what Hart has to do with drafting a tackle early.

You all are making waaaaaay to big a deal out of this whole Hart thing, IMO.....I don't know why it's so difficult just to let things play out, you all act like the season starts tomorrow.

Anyone out there a PFF member that would know how where to find grades and stats (penalties and sacks given up) for each game and might be willing to post those for Bobby for last year?

I want to watch his tape from last year and it would be helpful to match grades and the negative stats to what I'm seeing.

I just watched every snap of the chiefs game and he looked okay.   He had a false start and had one or two guys get past him on the edge early in the game, but by and large he was fine.  He just looks like he's thinking too much and is getting used to playing against the speed of the NFL.  A few times late in the game he made pretty decent plays against twists and he is really light on his feet for a big guy.

41 minutes ago, F.Cleveland said:

Anyone out there a PFF member that would know how where to find grades and stats (penalties and sacks given up) for each game and might be willing to post those for Bobby for last year?

You don't need PFF unless you want some made-up "grades" based on who knows what.

For example, here's one site that's not  up their own asses and not  full of shit:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HartBo00.htm#all_ol_penalties

Hart had 9 false starts last year. You can probably find whatever else you want there or through Google.

PFF is a joke.

44 minutes ago, F.Cleveland said:

He just looks like he's thinking too much and is getting used to playing against the speed of the NFL. 

This will be his 5th year in the league, not 2nd. 

Just watched the Bucs and Saints.   Same thing.  He's a little soft on bull rushes occasionally but the overwhelming majority of the time one he's centered on his guy he maintains the block and doesn't get tossed left or right.  He has come a long way to being better at defending the outside speed rushers, but every tackle is gonna have issues with the best ones.

One thing I have noticed is that the o-line in general was trying to pull guards and more complicated run plays against better defenses and it looked like chaos and confusion.  

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Yeah I'm not sure what Hart has to do with drafting a tackle early.

You all are making waaaaaay to big a deal out of this whole Hart thing, IMO.....I don't know why it's so difficult just to let things play out, you all act like the season starts tomorrow.

Right now most Bengals fans to include those in the media are dumbfounded. We are one of only 3 teams not to sign an outside FA yet. The big announcement was signing Hart. The Front Office actually tried to sell this as a great move while Cleveland is landing difference makers. This is the first actions of the new staff and it is quite obvious they never had an actual plan. Now stragglers are starting to show up. Yay. It isn’t about Hart, it’s about convincing fans they want to win and have a plan. 

3 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Then you are not really paying attention. Hart's contract could pay him more than Ty Nshekhe and Daryl Williams. He is nowhere near as good as either. Hart isn't good and re-signing him to this contract puts us in a situation where he basically is the starter at RT. He (and Preston Brown) were on earn it contracts, earned nothing, and got long term raises. They are the worst 2 contracts I have seen this offseason. No one is saying pay Juwuan James or Mosley money, but trying to solve the problem with a clearly broken piece and paying him way above market value was nonsensical. 

Edited by SF2 to remove political content

So you tell me chief exactly who they should have signed instead?  Takes 2 to tango and as far as I can see nobody wants to play here unless they are getting big time money that they couldn't get elsewhere.  Keep in mind we have no tackles outside of Glenn that has any NFL experience.  Signing Hart to basically a 1 year show us contract is not out of the question.  And for $5-7 Million that is chicken scratch for any starter Offense/defense anymore.  You make it seem as if Tackles are lining up to come here and they are not.  The Bengals know who they can sign and who they can't sign before it all comes to fruition.  Which is why the Draft is where you get them because you then Control them.  Because of this the signing of Hart is a good signing IMO because of where they stand currently is respect to Tackles and the Bengals have none.

11 minutes ago, One Nation said:

So you tell me chief exactly who they should have signed instead?  Takes 2 to tango and as far as I can see nobody wants to play here unless they are getting big time money that they couldn't get elsewhere.  Keep in mind we have no tackles outside of Glenn that has any NFL experience.  Signing Hart to basically a 1 year show us contract is not out of the question.  And for $5-7 Million that is chicken scratch for any starter Offense/defense anymore.  You make it seem as if Tackles are lining up to come here and they are not.  The Bengals know who they can sign and who they can't sign before it all comes to fruition.  Which is why the Draft is where you get them because you then Control them.  Because of this the signing of Hart is a good signing IMO because of where they stand currently is respect to Tackles and the Bengals have none.

They should have overpaid for the best right tackle period. The right side of the line sucked. The next best move would have been overpay for a big name linebacker. This team doesn’t know shit about marketing. 

15 minutes ago, SF2 said:

They should have overpaid for the best right tackle period. The right side of the line sucked. The next best move would have been overpay for a big name linebacker. This team doesn’t know shit about marketing. 

Mosley got about 17 per.  Brown got about 16 per.  That's all but 10 mil of their cap space.  One linebacker and one OT, even if they are the best available, don't make this team that much better.  What you just described is only a good idea if your team is one or two players away.  Sure, there are a ton of other ways to be terrible, but that is literally the one lesson that is on display every FA period and yet...people want shiny things so temper tantrums will be thrown.

37 minutes ago, One Nation said:

Did no one tell you that websites with articles by people who read other websites say he is terrible?  Once you know that, you can just let rage do your typing.  

7 minutes ago, F.Cleveland said:

Mosley got about 17 per.  Brown got about 16 per.  That's all but 10 mil of their cap space.  One linebacker and one OT, even if they are the best available, don't make this team that much better.  What you just described is only a good idea if your team is one or two players away.  Sure, there are a ton of other ways to be terrible, but that is literally the one lesson that is on display every FA period and yet...people want shiny things so temper tantrums will be thrown.

A very good OT would have made the offense much better.   Any competent linebacker would have made the 31st rated defense better.  A bunch of marginal players and backups don't make us better, it just keeps the status quo.  If we had no major injuries last year, we are a borderline wildcard team.  That is our ceiling. 

Just now, SF2 said:

A very good OT would have made the offense much better.   Any competent linebacker would have made the 31st rated defense better.  A bunch of marginal players and backups don't make us better, it just keeps the status quo.

Seriously, just watch a game after the first 2 or 3 and keep your eyes on Bobby Hart.  The interior of the line was reason 1, 2, and 3 as to why the run game sucked at times and probably 9 out of every 10 pressures.  Unless a free agent RT can play 4 spots, then they would make no difference.   

42 minutes ago, F.Cleveland said:

When I started reading your post, I thought I was reading a Geoff Hobson article.

Ja'Wuan James and Jordan Hicks would have made this team much better at areas of glaring weakness. Their combined cap hit this year on their respective teams is $14 million. The Bengals entered free agency with $53 million in available cap space in 2019. They couldn't have spent this kind of money on these guys? After they count Preston Brown's contract, they're still going to have about $35 million left. Whose that money for? Retreads and subpar talents that aren't going to help a lick. I'm usually a build through the draft kind of guy but this was the year the Bengals needed to sign a few difference makers and as usual, they were standing around with their dicks in their hands.

I can only imagine how guys like Geno Atkins and AJ Green are feeling right now.

14 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

When I started reading your post, I thought I was reading a Geoff Hobson article.

Ja'Wuan James and Jordan Hicks would have made this team much better at areas of glaring weakness. Their combined cap hit this year on their respective teams is $14 million. The Bengals entered free agency with $53 million in available cap space in 2019. They couldn't have spent this kind of money on these guys? After they count Preston Brown's contract, they're still going to have about $35 million left. Whose that money for? Retreads and subpar talents that aren't going to help a lick. I'm usually a build through the draft kind of guy but this was the year the Bengals needed to sign a few difference makers and as usual, they were standing around with their dicks in their hands.

I can only imagine how guys like Geno Atkins and AJ Green are feeling right now.

Of that 35M it is my guess that a good majority of that money will be spent on the following players whose contracts expire at the end of this year...   AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Clint Boling, Clayton Fejedelem, Nick Vigil, Tre Hopkins., Andrew Billings and others.    Now obviously they won't resign all of them but I would surmise that they would for at least 4 of them.   The Bengals will then load Money into the 2019 Salary cap with the extensions.  Just my take and I most assuredly could be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, One Nation said:

Of that 35M it is my guess that a good majority of that money will be spent on the following players whose contracts expire at the end of this year...   AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Clint Boling, Clayton Fejedelem, Nick Vigil, Tre Hopkins., Andrew Billings and others.    Now obviously they won't resign all of them but I would surmise that they would for at least 4 of them.   The Bengals will then load Money into the 2019 Salary cap with the extensions.  Just my take and I most assuredly could be wrong. 

You might be 100% correct.  The next question is does signing these guys make the team better or the same??

15 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

You apparently didn't read the post I was responding to.  It said the two best, not any two.  

Also, you, I, and everyone else on this board has no fucking clue who they've talked to.   How do you know they didn't offer both similar money and they turned it down?  

You don't.  I don't.  But God forbid anyone not think about dicks in hands, because they just don't understand that just the thought of those dicks in those hands is all you need to rage at what the internet said.

1 hour ago, One Nation said:

Ty Nsehke, Daryl Williams, Cameron Fleming. Still available Jeremy Parnell. 

Bobby Hart is nearly as far of a player you want starting at RT as you can get. He was paid like a bonafide starter. Doesn't matter if it was for 1 year. It took us out of actually trying to improve. We overpaid and took ourselves out of the market. 

1 minute ago, MichaelWeston said:

Ty Nsehke, Daryl Williams, Cameron Fleming. Still available Jeremy Parnell. 

Bobby Hart is nearly as far of a player you want starting at RT as you can get. He was paid like a bonafide starter. Doesn't matter if it was for 1 year. It took us out of actually trying to improve. We overpaid and took ourselves out of the market. 

It is an average salary for a Right tackle.   There is no market for a Right tackle in Cincinnati.   Name me a significant Right Tackle that has ever come here via Free Agency.  This is why I said the move to keep him here for 1 more year is smart.  We need to draft the replacements so we can control them.  

Archived