Bengals re-sign Bobby Hart 3 yrs $21 million

39 minutes ago, One Nation said:

Of that 35M it is my guess that a good majority of that money will be spent on the following players whose contracts expire at the end of this year...   AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Clint Boling, Clayton Fejedelem, Nick Vigil, Tre Hopkins., Andrew Billings and others.    Now obviously they won't resign all of them but I would surmise that they would for at least 4 of them.   The Bengals will then load Money into the 2019 Salary cap with the extensions.  Just my take and I most assuredly could be wrong. 

OK...now this is definitely Geoff Hobson posting. The Bengals are the only team I know that consistently says they can't spend money this year because they have to sign guys who are free agents next year. AJ Green has a cap hit of $15 million this year. How much higher is that going to get in 2019 even if they re-sign him? Boyd and Boling are the only other guys worth anything. Vigil, Billings and Hopkins impacting the dollars? Come on man. This is the same old shit they do every year.

53 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Lol....no, I've never been a professional athlete. My bad. 

I didn't say professional. At every level the best athletes want to win. Go watch a 11-12 year old select/AAU soccer or baseball game and then go watch the same aged kids at the REC level.  The select player have an entirely different mentality: They want to win badly.    That is why the best football players go to teams like Alabama, OSU, Clemson etc..  They want to play the best teams and WIN.  They crave glory.   They want to raise trophies.  They want the public kissing their asses.  Pretty much doesn't happen here. 

1 hour ago, One Nation said:

It is an average salary for a Right tackle.   There is no market for a Right tackle in Cincinnati.   Name me a significant Right Tackle that has ever come here via Free Agency.  This is why I said the move to keep him here for 1 more year is smart.  We need to draft the replacements so we can control them.  

Nah,  we need to spend some money to properly protect Dalton and besides, we picked up Glenn for $7.5 mill a year last season.  There are guys out there we can spend money on and they will come if we convince them we are serious about winning. 

9 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

That's not the keyword. People are acting as if these are hard things to meet and that he is likely to be cut. If he plays, even poorly, he gets paid. 

It’s not actually, $21 million. That’s if all bonuses and escalators are hit. The base of it is three years and $16.5 million.

The contract comes also comes with outs. You can break it down as one year and $7.4 million. After the 2019 season, the Bengals could, theoretically, bail on the contract and only take on $2 million in dead money.

That’s still probably a move the Bengals wouldn’t want to make. The more likely out point they would utilize would come after the second year where they would only take on $1 million in dead money while saving $4.9 million against the cap.

The idea of two years and $11.4 million sounds much less gaudy compared to the original reports. That falls more in line with most near the middle of the right tackle salary rankings. Below most on second deals, but above those on cheap, rookie contracts.

43 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

It’s not actually, $21 million. That’s if all bonuses and escalators are hit. The base of it is three years and $16.5 million.

The contract comes also comes with outs. You can break it down as one year and $7.4 million. After the 2019 season, the Bengals could, theoretically, bail on the contract and only take on $2 million in dead money.

That’s still probably a move the Bengals wouldn’t want to make. The more likely out point they would utilize would come after the second year where they would only take on $1 million in dead money while saving $4.9 million against the cap.

The idea of two years and $11.4 million sounds much less gaudy compared to the original reports. That falls more in line with most near the middle of the right tackle salary rankings. Below most on second deals, but above those on cheap, rookie contracts.

Paul Dehner very rarely knows what he is talking about.  How can it be a 1 year contract for 7.4 but then have dead money for 2020? 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Paul Dehner very rarely knows what he is talking about.  How can it be a 1 year contract for 7.4 but then have dead money for 2020? 

The better question is why should any Bengals fan give a shit about this signing? Does this signing make me want to reup my season tickets?  Has anything they have done make you want to go to a game?  Sure we have a new fresh coach. So?? Sorry, right now the Bengals have done NOTHING to make a fan give a shit. This is entertainment for God’s sake.

The Cowboys have barely been better than us. Everyone pays attention to them. Why?  Because as crazy as Jones is, he fucking tries and isn’t a fat boring old man with boring kids.  He actually wants to win.  He tries. 

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The better question is why should any Bengals fan give a shit about this signing? Does this signing make me want to reup my season tickets?  Has anything they have done make you want to go to a game?  Sure we have a new fresh coach. So?? Sorry, right now the Bengals have done NOTHING to make a fan give a shit. This is entertainment for God’s sake.

The Cowboys have barely been better than us. Everyone pays attention to them. Why?  Because as crazy as Jones is, he fucking tries and isn’t a fat boring old man with boring kids.  He actually wants to win.  He tries. 

The multiple SB wins/appearances & the 70's and 90's dynasties don't hurt, either.   Kind of shitty that more people are familiar with Tom Landry than Paul Brown (though Landry was awesome in his own right.)

"The person who influenced me the most was Paul Brown." - Landry 

He even dressed like PB.  This franchise could sure use a touch of that class & dignity these days.

42 minutes ago, SF2 said:

FWIW...no one in Bengal PR has really tried to get a theme out in front of the John Q AverageFan...other than this schmaltzy New Dey stuff. If Boy Wonder is going to be the face JQAF is going to see...make him seen and heard--a lot. It's been a fairly flaccid rollout in that regard. Or..use an energetic bonafide star-type player like Mixon to be that media face. They can still shift into PR blitz--but it will have to be concentrated and relentless, if they want any potential ticket buyers to pay attention.

37 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

FWIW...no one in Bengal PR has really tried to get a theme out in front of the John Q AverageFan...other than this schmaltzy New Dey stuff. If Boy Wonder is going to be the face JQAF is going to see...make him seen and heard--a lot. It's been a fairly flaccid rollout in that regard. Or..use an energetic bonafide star-type player like Mixon to be that media face. They can still shift into PR blitz--but it will have to be concentrated and relentless, if they want any potential ticket buyers to pay attention.

100% agree. 

11 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Hobson is pretty lame and he is the Bengals PR operation. They hired the girl from the Crew to do some videos but Hobson's shtick is what the public knows. 

98% of Bengals fans have no idea who Jeff Hobson is. That is how pathetic their marketing department is. 

Three thoughts why so many people hate re-signing Hart:

1) Hart played poorly last year

2) Hoped they would sign an upgrade at RT

3) Even if you like Hart they overpaid 

Most of us fall into one or more of these camps.  After seeing the contract details, it does seem like an overpriced deal for his level of performance, IMO.  The problem was that 3 of their 4 OT are free agents and Hart was the only one they considered bringing back.  Ced and Fisher were busts obviously and they obviously didn't want to also lose all three.  It doesn't justify the contract in any way.  It's structured to give them outs each of the next two years depending on how Hart performs.  There were other options out there and I very much doubt he would get a similar deal on the open market.  Regardless of making this deal, they will have to draft or sign two more tackles so they can make contingency plans if Hart struggles (again).   

Archived