Paul Daugherty: 'New Dey,' just a 'deydream.' Still the same old Cincinnati Bengals

47 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Except he still MIGHT have a shot at relevance, as opposed to going to a lame-duck city group of vagabonds...or Cleveland.

Worth a few dollars less maybe? 

Relavance where? You are not talking about the Bengals are you?  Nobody pays attention to this franchise except us die hards. 

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Relavance where? You are not talking about the Bengals are you?  Nobody pays attention to this franchise except us die hards. 

The periodical 5-straight playoff seasons, can get a little more pub...oftentimes more so than riding city-jumping mercenaries who haven't won since God-knows-when. And, then there is Cleveland. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

The periodical 5-straight playoff seasons, can get a little more pub...oftentimes more so than riding city-jumping mercenaries who haven't won since God-knows-when. And, then there is Cleveland. 

Your descriptions may be accurate but in the end, the raiders and browns will be the talk of the upcoming season. The Bengals will once again be ignored like Detroit. Great players  want the limelight in most cases. I imagine OBJ will get 10 to 15 times as much press this year as Green.  Same with the Clowns.  I can still remember driving to work listening to national sports radio recapping games and was pissed our games were rarely ever discussed unless we played a big name team.  The Bengals are irrelevant, that is why FAs don't want to come here.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

That is even a laughing point to most. How many wins in those five years?

SF is 100% accurate.. Cincy is a non factor in the NFL, nobody cares except us

Cleveland was a joke shit show until they got Dorsey.. things are looking pretty good up there. 

22 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

That is even a laughing point to most. How many wins in those five years?

SF is 100% accurate.. Cincy is a non factor in the NFL, nobody cares except us

Cleveland was a joke shit show until they got Dorsey.. things are looking pretty good up there. 

Even when we were going to the playoffs those 5 straight years there wasn't much talk about us other than reminding everyone listening how many years it had been since we won a playoff game.  The last time I remember the national media really excited about us in a good way was 2005.  Team had a serious buzz about it.   No doubt Cleveland was a shit show for years particularly with the ridiculous QB carousel.   Fact is we got way more press (negative) when we sucked and when we had Chad Johnson drawing attention to the club.  

Its impossible to look at what Cleveland has done the first couple of days and not be jealous.  I know its Cleveland but OBJ, possibly Earl Thomas and Sheldon Richardson make their team better.  Hopefully, 4pm brings some exciting news. 

4 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Even when we were going to the playoffs those 5 straight years there wasn't much talk about us other than reminding everyone listening how many years it had been since we won a playoff game.  The last time I remember the national media really excited about us in a good way was 2005.  Team had a serious buzz about it.   No doubt Cleveland was a shit show for years particularly with the ridiculous QB carousel.   Fact is we got way more press (negative) when we sucked and when we had Chad Johnson drawing attention to the club.  

Its impossible to look at what Cleveland has done the first couple of days and not be jealous.  I know its Cleveland but OBJ, possibly Earl Thomas and Sheldon Richardson make their team better.  Hopefully, 4pm brings some exciting news. 

But they're still the browns. And they still need the coaches to make it all work. Always too much emphasis on players. The most successful team in the last 2 decades had virtually no superstars except Brady. And Gronk, sometimes. There's even the question of what Brady would've done on another team.

Beckham and Landry hadn't brought their previous NFL teams any success. The turds do look great on paper, roster-wise, but we'll see.

40 minutes ago, Hooky said:

But they're still the browns. And they still need the coaches to make it all work. Always too much emphasis on players. The most successful team in the last 2 decades had virtually no superstars except Brady. And Gronk, sometimes. There's even the question of what Brady would've done on another team.

Beckham and Landry hadn't brought their previous NFL teams any success. The turds do look great on paper, roster-wise, but we'll see.

The problem is we DON’t look good on paper AND we have the same issue with coaching. Our defense was terrible last year. Our Dline was 28th in sacks last year. O line is near the bottom of the league. Subpar TEs.  They have to pull the trigger on some decent defensive players.  Landry, OBJ, Hunt, Chubb and Mayfield is a lot of fire power. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Say what you will about Doc, but it's not like he's not saying what many of us are feeling. The Anxiety is real.

There is nothing to be anxious about. Just accept that this team does not have the desire or the structure to compete at the high level needed to win playoff games and a SB. Changing the staff may help (or hurt) but the lack of desire by senior management and the lack of structure remain in place. It makes life a lot easier. Follow the team and hope for the stars to align but don't bet on it or count o it or get worked up about it. 

What does the comedian Ron White say "You can't fix stupid". 

I never get the vibe - at very least since the Mike Brown took the reigns hat this team's goal is to win a Super Bowl.

It feels more like the goal is to compete be as successfully as a team could within the confines of a super conservative business plan.

"Free agency doesn't win Super Bowls, the draft does" LOL ok where's all the damn rings? Where's one single playoff win?

Whatever it is the Bengals do. It doesn't work.

My advice to young Bengal fans.. Find another team while you're still young.

Not in response to this article or the Hart signing - but a lifetime of wishing this team would do something, and being disappointed every single time.

10 minutes ago, BENGALS666 said:

I never get the vibe - at very least since the Mike Brown took the reigns hat this team's goal is to win a Super Bowl.

It feels more like the goal is to compete be as successfully as a team could within the confines of a super conservative business plan.

"Free agency doesn't win Super Bowls, the draft does" LOL ok where's all the damn rings? Where's one single playoff win?

Whatever it is the Bengals do. It doesn't work.

My advice to young Bengal fans.. Find another team while you're still young.

Not in response to this article or the Hart signing - but a lifetime of wishing this team would do something, and being disappointed every single time.

That sums it up...

On 3/12/2019 at 10:30 AM, thezerawkid said:

My response to the article was: “give them a fucking minute, Jesus.”

Did they appear to overspend for an eventual backup lineman? Yep. But, if Hart can spot start, move around the line and play a couple positions, it won’t be the worst value. Plus, people who know more than me feel there’s potential there that we haven’t perhaps seen consistently. I’m suppose I have to be willing to see if they can prove all of us wrong.

Uzomah was paid a bit more than I’d like, but, he’s durable and was productive last year. It was a good move.

Lock up ‘Queze, unless he gets big, outside corner money elsewhere, even then, consider spending more than intended, give him the opportunity to push WJIII and DreK for one of those spots. Enough pigeon-holing guys.

Consider bringing a mid-upper level FA LB in, bring back Preston Brown on a team friendly deal. Draft an OT in round one. Things will still be challenging, but that will be a good start.

yeah because the Giants couldn't get anything good out of him and neither did we in his first year. I guess by age thirty he might reach average potential. I also don't want to hear the bs that we signed him for a backup. You sign a solid RT and then draft a young one to take over in a two to three years. This team is the same old crap every year and the only thing that remains the same every year is the cheap ass ownership. The fans are stupid if they think that things will be different when Katie is in full charge of this team. He raised her to be just like him and that is CHEAP as hell.

8 hours ago, BengalBuckeye said:

yeah because the Giants couldn't get anything good out of him and neither did we in his first year. I guess by age thirty he might reach average potential. I also don't want to hear the bs that we signed him for a backup. You sign a solid RT and then draft a young one to take over in a two to three years. This team is the same old crap every year and the only thing that remains the same every year is the cheap ass ownership. The fans are stupid if they think that things will be different when Katie is in full charge of this team. He raised her to be just like him and that is CHEAP as hell.

Fair to assume they both see the Bengals as lucrative employment for their extended families before any other concern.  Financially, pure business decision, there's no good reason to spend much more than cap minimum. 

21 hours ago, SF2 said:

The problem is we DON’t look good on paper AND we have the same issue with coaching. Our defense was terrible last year. Our Dline was 28th in sacks last year. O line is near the bottom of the league. Subpar TEs.  They have to pull the trigger on some decent defensive players.  Landry, OBJ, Hunt, Chubb and Mayfield is a lot of fire power. 

I was referring to silly talks of them being a lock to win the division and super bowl talk. We obviously need to shore up the defense. It was a shame that both games against them last season, we had to put our pre-season second half line-up against them. I'm not totally blaming injuries, but our depth is awful. And we obviously need serious LB help, hope we get it. Also, hope they're not putting all their eggs in the Burdock, Vigil, Hubbard, Brown basket.

Same free agency as every year, why is he any more disheartened now? They have the same approach to FA. But they also have a brand new coaching staff that finally replaced Marvin and the same old like most fans were screaming for. There is hope, even though the FA philosophy hasn't changed.

And Lance McAllister is an annoying idiot. Mot sure how he landed a sports show. Probably by kissing each caller's ass and acting interested and overly excited by their comments no matter how inane.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Same free agency as every year, why is he any more disheartened now? They have the same approach to FA. But they also have a brand new coaching staff that finally replaced Marvin and the same old like most fans were screaming for. There is hope, even though the FA philosophy hasn't changed.

And Lance McAllister is an annoying idiot. Mot sure how he landed a sports show. Probably by kissing each caller's ass and acting interested and overly excited by their comments no matter how inane.

Same? Can you name a time we gave a long term contract to 2 below average starters?

4 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Same? Can you name a time we gave a long term contract to 2 below average starters?

I was obviously talking about their not getting outside FAs very often. At least I thought that would be obvious to most people. I don't know if they have or not. That's beside my point. I wouldn't call Hart long term and I'm not sure who the second one is.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

I was obviously talking about their not getting outside FAs very often. At least I thought that would be obvious to most people. I don't know if they have or not. That's beside my point. I wouldn't call Hart long term and I'm not sure who the second one is.

Uzohmah

10 minutes ago, BENGALS666 said:

Did someone say there is hope?

I'm just hoping at this point is that somebody else tanks enough for Cincy not to own last place in the AFCN.

There's a 3% chance that we'll win the division!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

Archived