Bengals re-sign Preston Brown

We never really saw a healthy Brown last year so it's hard to know what he can really do.  I have to believe with better luck health-wise he should be much better than Nickerson at least.  Signing Brown doesn't mean we won't be looking to draft a LB early.  Same goes for the deal with Hart and taking an OT early.  

55 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

We never really saw a healthy Brown last year so it's hard to know what he can really do.  I have to believe with better luck health-wise he should be much better than Nickerson at least.  Signing Brown doesn't mean we won't be looking to draft a LB early.  Same goes for the deal with Hart and taking an OT early.  

We know what he can do and it is NOT coverage 

It is groundhog day. Last year at this time it was very evident to the non-KoolAid fans that the OL and LB's were going to kill the team for the season. Yes, there were injuries but the 4-1 start was a nice mirage. This season, it is essentially the same thing. 

I expect we will lose Dennard shortly as well (oh good a 4th round comp pick) but the season will now rely on hope once again - hope that the OL can at least be average (somehow), hope that the nail the draft and get a few instant starters, hope that Brown is at least OK, hope that Burfict gets back to form, hope the new coaching staff is good, hope some of the undeveloped young players actually develop, etc. etc. 

4 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It is groundhog day. Last year at this time it was very evident to the non-KoolAid fans that the OL and LB's were going to kill the team for the season. Yes, there were injuries but the 4-1 start was a nice mirage. This season, it is essentially the same thing. 

I expect we will lose Dennard shortly as well (oh good a 4th round comp pick) but the season will now rely on hope once again - hope that the OL can at least be average (somehow), hope that the nail the draft and get a few instant starters, hope that Brown is at least OK, hope that Burfict gets back to form, hope the new coaching staff is good, hope some of the undeveloped young players actually develop, etc. etc. 

and they can probably trade that for a couple 6th rounders.

I believe that because the coaching staff was assembled so late into the offseason the new coaches haven't been able to assess the roster. 

Not being able to implement a system and see how the current guys play for the new coaches makes it almost impossible to see who they can add to supplement what they have. 

Hopefully they will add some more talent in the next few weeks. 

9 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I believe that because the coaching staff was assembled so late into the offseason the new coaches haven't been able to assess the roster. 

Cleveland hired Kitchens on Jan 9th...Bengals hired Taylor on Feb 4th.

You can't tell me that almost month head start doesn't matter. 

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Not being able to implement a system and see how the current guys play for the new coaches makes it almost impossible to see who they can add to supplement what they have. 

Hopefully they will add some more talent in the next few weeks. 

They started late but they should have been able to grade every play by every player from last year and also have access to prior year's grades. The new coaches might have had phone calls with their players but haven't had a chance to see them work on the field or classroom. 

At a minimum though, they should be able to weed out the subpar players. 

Archived