Going through old stuff

My husband has been going through some old boxes and came across a program from The Columbus Touchdown Club Awards Banquet in 1991. Ken Anderson was the Master of Ceremonies and David Klingler got the award for Outstanding Collegiate Quarterback. Somewhere I have a copy autographed by David Klingler and a picture with Ken Anderson but in the meantime I have these.

5A90AD16-E82B-48D4-A103-33959CFAE07B.jpeg

6D775499-F589-42CE-98BE-5956D9088292.jpeg

I was at that TDC. Used to go every year. Great opportunities to mix with people--some who were already famous, and some who weren't--yet.

The dinner portion of the event had regular folks (like me) seated with a sprinkling of the famous/not so famous. One year, Drew Brees--then still at Purdue--sat next to me. Wonderful young man--knew he was going places. Wayne Fontes another year. My favorite one was sitting next to Sam--then just coming off his first year at Indiana. Hilariously funny and personable. 

Loved those events. Thanks for posting these, Shebengal. 

Yeah...and I remember it mostly because I did have an opportunity to speak with Kenny for more than just a moment--which was nice. Great person.

Somewhere, I have some photos taken of Krumrie/Stanford Jennings and I at the TDC in 1989 after the SB. That was another great event. I will find them and post here.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Yeah...and I remember it mostly because I did have an opportunity to speak with Kenny for more than just a moment--which was nice. Great person.

Really? That's good to hear - because I've heard he was a dick to fans, and never wanted to talk with them.

I don't know..he was a conversational gentleman to me that evening anyway. I had an earlier encounter to meet and chat with him--the night before SB 23. There was a sort-of VIP gathering at Joe's Stone Crab in South Beach. I saw him at the bar, and bought him a drink. He was a nice guy then too--ended up reciprocating and buying my wife and I another drink. I mentioned this to him at the TDC and he remembered (kinda), so maybe that was why he was so congenial. 

Was going to also say that, at another TDC, I saw Bill Russell refuse to sign an child's program. Seemed dickish, but I then saw him bend down to the child's level and very nicely explain to he and his parents that he didn't sign autographs for anyone and not to be offended by it. 

All of these guys are hounded by the public all the time. Their responses may be different from one encounter to another, so it might be understandable as to the differences.    

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Somewhere, I have some photos taken of Krumrie/Stanford Jennings and I at the TDC in 1989 after the SB. That was another great event. I will find them and post here.

He was very nice to me, also. I got my picture taken with him. I'll have to find it and post it also. 

Archived