Darqueze Dennard hangs in balance as new NFL year begins

Given Bobby Hart, Preston Brown, C.J. Uzomah, and Darqueze Dennard, I would have prioritized Dennard.  Oh well, WTF do I know, right?

Still holding my breath in hopes that things will all work out somehow.

Given Bobby Hart, Preston Brown, C.J. Uzomah, and Darqueze Dennard, I would have prioritized Dennard.  Oh well, WTF do I know, right?

Still holding my breath in hopes that things will all work out somehow.

Why?

Dennard is - at best - decent in the slot. He absolutely cannot play outside. The value for a guy like that is around $5mil. If somebody out there wants to pay him premium dollars, so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

53 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

Why?

Dennard is - at best - decent in the slot. He absolutely cannot play outside. The value for a guy like that is around $5mil. If somebody out there wants to pay him premium dollars, so be it.

"Decent in the slot" is better than crappy and penalized at RT...and better than mehhh at TE...and injured or 255+ lbs & slow at LB.  $5M/yr is better than $7M/yr...etc.  Not that I'm concerned about money since the Bengals won't be anywhere near the cap at the end of day regardless of what Hobnob says.

So it wasn't so much that I love DD, it was more a reflection on the other guys.  Also, FWIW I'd say "good in the slot", but that's just my opinion.

Anyway...that's why.

Dennard is a much better player than Hart, Uzomah, or Brown. He should be a priority for re-signing. It seems he wants to explore his options which is his right but I hope we're not withholding an offer from him to get more comp picks or something stupid like that.

2 hours ago, Big Alice said:

Why?

And we know he can’t play outside how exactly?

8 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

"Decent in the slot" is better than crappy and penalized at RT...and better than mehhh at TE...and injured or 255+ lbs & slow at LB.  $5M/yr is better than $7M/yr...etc.  Not that I'm concerned about money since the Bengals won't be anywhere near the cap at the end of day regardless of what Hobnob says.

So it wasn't so much that I love DD, it was more a reflection on the other guys.  Also, FWIW I'd say "good in the slot", but that's just my opinion.

Anyway...that's why.

The only FA we might be worse off for losing so of course we let him walk.  Not phenomenal enough for us I guess.

53 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

$10 bills really means $7 bills...which he should get here. Still a lot of upside.

Or, be happy with some guy named B.W. Webb--who will be long forgotten by this time next year. Or infamous, whichever the case might be. 

Debbie Downer alert!! Unfortunately, a lot of truth to your post IMHO. 

Dennard probably figured if we're willing to pay Dre $10 per year, we should pay him that much too. That's not unreasonable but I wouldn't pay him more than 7 mil per year. Which is reasonable for a slightly above average slot corner. But unreasonable compared to what we paid Hart and Miller, who are below average players. 

Man, no wonder the Bengals have sucked in 2016, 2017 and 2018

RIP 2015 Draft class, looking like only Uzomah is going to be left 

32 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Man, no wonder the Bengals have sucked in 2016, 2017 and 2018

RIP 2015 Draft class, looking like only Uzomah is going to be left 

Yep. 

At some point we are going to need to talk about of Duke Tobin should have his job.

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Yep. 

At some point we are going to need to talk about of Duke Tobin should have his job.

Lol, as long as Mike Brown is alive Tobin will have a job ....there's not even anything to discuss.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:35 PM, Le Tigre said:

$10 bills really means $7 bills...which he should get here. Still a lot of upside.

Or, be happy with some guy named B.W. Webb--who will be long forgotten by this time next year. Or infamous, whichever the case might be. 

Called it. 

Archived