Bengals Sign Giants CB B.W. Webb

The Bengals today signed unrestricted free agent cornerback B.W. Webb to a three-year contract.

This seems to be a solid, low risk signing and he is a guy Bengals new DC Lou Anarumo coached last year when he was defensive backs coach for the Giants.  Now the Bengals can go into the draft without being forced to spend a 1st round pick on any one position. Even if you don’t agree with all the signings they do offer the opportunity to allow the team to take the best player available at #11. 

Bengals Sign B.W. Webb

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

You'd think someone would have the sense to run him through the pro shop or at least toss him a hat before the photo op but I guess none of the Browns in the PR department thought of that..  Either that or they didn't have time to deduct a Bengals hoodie from his signing bonus.

54 minutes ago, BengalBuckeye said:

Its a cheap second rate player that’s been on five or six teams in his six seasons. I guess some fans on here get happy about any signing. When they spend on a top fa that isn’t on his way out then I will get excited but I doubt it’s in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

It’s a good signing because Dennard wants to test the market. He gives us draft flexibility and a decent CB if Dennard bolts which he might.  

Why is this thread mostly positive?  I guess anybody from another team makes people happy.  Bw webb is terrible.  This just keeps getting worse every day.  I havent been this angry at the team since the ogbuehi/ fisher draft.  We couldent have done any worse this fa period.  Im starting to think tobin is an idiot.

1 hour ago, Mikey6866 said:

Why is this thread mostly positive?  I guess anybody from another team makes people happy.  Bw webb is terrible.  This just keeps getting worse every day.  I havent been this angry at the team since the ogbuehi/ fisher draft.  We couldent have done any worse this fa period.  Im starting to think tobin is an idiot.

It’s not a bad signing. If Dennard told them he was going to leave they have just signed a inexpensive CB then excels in the slot and now have money to sign people like Green and Boyd and other free agents that want to be here.  If they had gone into the draft without addressing this then we would be forced to take a early round CB.  Now we have the flexibility to draft the best player on the board.   

I think if you were looking st this singing objectively and not emotionally it makes sense. 

8 hours ago, Metallicus said:

It’s not a bad signing. If Dennard told them he was going to leave they have just signed a inexpensive CB then excels in the slot and now have money to sign people like Green and Boyd and other free agents that want to be here.  If they had gone into the draft without addressing this then we would be forced to take a early round CB.  Now we have the flexibility to draft the best player on the board.   

I think if you were looking st this singing objectively and not emotionally it makes sense. 

Denmard hasn’t agreed to whatever offer he received. Definitely looking for better deal somewhere else. 

10 hours ago, BengalBuckeye said:

Its a cheap second rate player that’s been on five or six teams in his six seasons. I guess some fans on here get happy about any signing. When they spend on a top fa that isn’t on his way out then I will get excited but I doubt it’s in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

And some fans bitch about any signing or everything in general. We have new co-captains for Team Eeyore. You and IC, if you're not the same person.

9 hours ago, Mikey6866 said:

How is he terrible?

15 minutes ago, Hooky said:

How is he terrible?

The simple explanation is Dennard wants more money then the Bengals are offering so he didn't agree to their offer.   In response, the Bengals did the prudent thing and picked up a player who can take his spot as well as added an experience veteran to the squad.  No, it isn't a great signing, its just a fill the roster with decent players and to add depth.  Nothing terrible or a reason to get mad.  

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

How is he terrible?

Lets see qbs have a 126 rating when targeting bw webb for starters.  Hes been on 6 teams in 6 years.  We are the first team to pay him more than the league minimum.  Every giants fan is absoluted elated that we signed him.  He is the bobby hart of corners.  Yay!!!!  Why do you think hes good?

10 minutes ago, Mikey6866 said:

Lets see qbs have a 126 rating when targeting bw webb for starters.  Hes been on 6 teams in 6 years.  We are the first team to pay him more than the league minimum.  Every giants fan is absoluted elated that we signed him.  He is the bobby hart of corners.  Yay!!!!  Why do you think hes good?

I don't think anyone thinks he is good, he is just a guy with experience we can use in a pinch when Dennard leaves and none of the other guys we already have pan out.  He is probably better than every other guy we currently have not named DreK or Jackson. 

17 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I don't think anyone thinks he is good, he is just a guy with experience we can use in a pinch when Dennard leaves and none of the other guys we already have pan out.  He is probably better than every other guy we currently have not named DreK or Jackson. 

That is debatable, Webb is awful.  He could be in the AAF, XFL, or CFL in 2020.

This signing harkens back to 90's/early 2000's when the Bengals were the last stop for scrubs who were looking for one last NFL paycheck. 

Again, why are the Bengals rushing to sign backups and paying them a nice price in the process. The Bengals FO has low balled Whit, drafted Ced and forced him on the field despite him being awful, and has now given one of the worst starting OT's in the NFL a 20 million dollar contract?????

Uzomah, Hart, and Webb are all backups at best and while the rest of the teams in the division are bringing in starters the Bengals are paying backups to be starters. 

4 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

That is debatable, Webb is awful.  He could be in the AAF, XFL, or CFL in 2020.

This signing harkens back to 90's/early 2000's when the Bengals were the last stop for scrubs who were looking for one last NFL paycheck. 

Again, why are the Bengals rushing to sign backups and paying them a nice price in the process. The Bengals FO has low balled Whit, drafted Ced and forced him on the field despite him being awful, and has now given one of the worst starting OT's in the NFL a 20 million dollar contract?????

Uzomah, Hart, and Webb are all backups at best and while the rest of the teams in the division are bringing in starters the Bengals are paying backups to be starters. 

I don't disagree with anything here but I look at what we currently have on the team and see nothing. And as Kat Terrell stated, they may be leaning toward CB.  Hell, I take that back, nothing that has happened so far looks like any sort of strategy.  I apologize. 

Archived