Bengals Sign Giants CB B.W. Webb

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I don't disagree with anything here but I look at what we currently have on the team and see nothing. And as Kat Terrell stated, they may be leaning toward CB.  Hell, I take that back, nothing that has happened so far looks like any sort of strategy.  I apologize. 

If there is a strategy it's got to be tanking for next year's draft. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

If there is a strategy it's got to be tanking for next year's draft. 

The Bengals never tank, nor do the build, re-build, load or re-load. They merely exist. Year to year with no strategy or plan other than to draft as best they can, save money on the front office, and save $10M off the cap or so each year. All the while hoping they can filed a competitive team and the fans keep coming out. They are private label cola competing against Pepsi and Coca Cola. 

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Your participatory experience inside their meeting/board rooms, is always a pleasure to read

You do not need to be inside the room to know what they are doing, it is in full display to the public. It is very clear from how they operate what the plan or lack of plan is.

I am not sure why anyone is confused in this regard. It is now apparent that cutting ties with Merv and staff was simply a move to attempt to console the fans. It would be nice to think it was Katie taking things over with a new direction, but all subsequent evidence points to the old SSDD - Same Shit Different Day. 

10 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Not sure why you felt the need to tell us all what SSDD means?

I thought it was Super Sexy Double D's and was wondering how he found out about the guy's nickname for one of our friend's  wife.  She is still SS but had breast reduction surgery.

23 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Webb another overpaid player, should basically be at league minimum

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/bengalsb_logo.gif

bengalsb_logo.gif Bengals sign CB B.W. Webb (3 years, $13 million): C Grade 
Congratulations to the Bengals, who finally made a signing that hasn't been graded an "F!" What a joyous day in Cincinnati! 

That said, this move isn't very good. B.W. Webb started most of the games for the Giants last year. He struggled, but wasn't abysmal. He could provide fine depth for the Bengals, but this is too much money for a mediocre depth player. 

There's one good thing about this signing, and that's the fact that Webb played for Lou Anarumo, who was his defensive backs coach in New York. The familiarity will allow Webb to transition seamlessly to his new team.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#ixzz5iH1REQRf

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#OV0yXWo1ULuAM85C.99

Right now devin white is a must if hes there at 11.  I dont even think there is a corner in this draft that would be worth the 11 pick.  Greedy, baker and murphy all look like late teens to late first round guys.  We have done nothing to adress the huge issue at lb and it doesnt look like were going to.  We really really need jefferson to take a big step in year 2 and we need devin white.  This d is gonna get eaten alive if we dont upgrade at lb.

I can't imagine a scenario where White doesn't go top 10...he's right there with Williams and Bosa, IMO.

For sure though, if he somehow miraculously makes it to 11, you absolutely have to take him.

Since I don't think White will be there though, I'm starting to buy into Clelin Ferrell....this DL class is just phenomenal and any other year Ferrell is a top 7 player at worst IMO. With what Cleveland's got goin on, corners and pass rushers have to be a priority. I understand the fact that the o-line is lacking, but there's none in this draft class that can offer the same type of value that you'll get with a premium pass rusher like Ferrell.

Just my 2 cents.  

I think Brian Burns is a stud as well...I'd be more than okay with either one.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:34 AM, SF2 said:

The simple explanation is Dennard wants more money then the Bengals are offering so he didn't agree to their offer.   In response, the Bengals did the prudent thing and picked up a player who can take his spot as well as added an experience veteran to the squad.  No, it isn't a great signing, its just a fill the roster with decent players and to add depth.  Nothing terrible or a reason to get mad.  

Correct,  they went and got a player that can be a decent number three and a solid number 4, but realize that no matter what they do, the vast majority of the posters will find fault with it.  They can not even rationalize anything as being decent or solid, every move is terrible, horrible, asnine or some direct affront to their great football intelligence.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Seems like the last few years it's been "oh there's not an OT worth the pick" but they're not going to sign a FA OT that's worth a damn so... Guess we keep losing games until the draft lines up just right, or what?

Exactly, the Bengals front office has talked themselves out of drafting a solid starter in the early rounds because of the perceived lack of value.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, PatternMaster said:

That is debatable, Webb is awful.  He could be in the AAF, XFL, or CFL in 2020.

This signing harkens back to 90's/early 2000's when the Bengals were the last stop for scrubs who were looking for one last NFL paycheck. 

Again, why are the Bengals rushing to sign backups and paying them a nice price in the process. The Bengals FO has low balled Whit, drafted Ced and forced him on the field despite him being awful, and has now given one of the worst starting OT's in the NFL a 20 million dollar contract?????

Uzomah, Hart, and Webb are all backups at best and while the rest of the teams in the division are bringing in starters the Bengals are paying backups to be starters. 

This post isn't correct...

.....it was a $21 million contract.

:lol:

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Seems like the last few years it's been "oh there's not an OT worth the pick" but they're not going to sign a FA OT that's worth a damn so... Guess we keep losing games until the draft lines up just right, or what?

I mean, I understand the need and I'm not gonna complain if they draft one...I just think they'll be taking a lesser player if they do.

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I mean, I understand the need and I'm not gonna complain if they draft one...I just think they'll be taking a lesser player if they do.

Eh, that ship has sailed. At this point we're at least 2 years away from where having a really good OT is going to matter.  No reason not to go BPA now.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:17 AM, Hooky said:

And some fans bitch about any signing or everything in general. We have new co-captains for Team Eeyore. You and IC, if you're not the same person.

I guess any signing makes you jump for joy screaming superbowl here we come. I want players who will make the team better and I am not sure he does that.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:23 PM, T-Dub said:

This is a year you can get a starter in round two if White is there at 11. I think if White is there you take him and if he's gone then I like Taylor from Florida at 11.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:34 AM, SF2 said:

The simple explanation is Dennard wants more money then the Bengals are offering so he didn't agree to their offer.   In response, the Bengals did the prudent thing and picked up a player who can take his spot as well as added an experience veteran to the squad.  No, it isn't a great signing, its just a fill the roster with decent players and to add depth.  Nothing terrible or a reason to get mad.  

Yeah because they are cheap. That's why they sign all these second rate players from other teams that they think will become stars. I do like the fact Webb played for our DC and should have an advantage with the defensive scheme. I still want signing that are upgrades to what we have and not just average.

24 minutes ago, BengalBuckeye said:

Yeah because they are cheap. That's why they sign all these second rate players from other teams that they think will become stars. I do like the fact Webb played for our DC and should have an advantage with the defensive scheme. I still want signing that are upgrades to what we have and not just average.

Sorry, But not everybody is going to be a star, and the Salary cap is in place so no team can have stars at every position.  You've got to have solid journeyman players in some positions.  Some people are just average.  In fact, I've found that most people are less than Average.

Archived