Bengals to sign John Miller.

4 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

Well. I think a team full of douches and a RB who IMO should be suspended for at least the entire season will implode on itself. I don't think it's Mayfield. I think it's the GM Dorsey. He's not afraid to make bold moves and they have a ton of cash.

I am afraid this team will do just fine if they don't sustain too many injuries.  Plenty of talented teams with personnel issues have won championships.  The Pistons all hated each other.  Some of those Yankee championship teams despised each other.   All Mayfield has to do is hand off the ball to Chubb, Duke and eventually Hunt and throw short to medium length passes to Landry and OBJ.  His receivers will get open, they are that good.  Fuckers. 

23 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I am afraid this team will do just fine if they don't sustain too many injuries.  Plenty of talented teams with personnel issues have won championships.  The Pistons all hated each other.  Some of those Yankee championship teams despised each other.   All Mayfield has to do is hand off the ball to Chubb, Duke and eventually Hunt and throw short to medium length passes to Landry and OBJ.  His receivers will get open, they are that good.  Fuckers. 

Dorsey has been the difference make for that team. Once the owner stopped f***ing around and actually found a real good GM it all changed. 

Look, you don’t build a team through free agency. It doesn’t even make for a contentious discussion, it’s objective fact. You can do some shoring up, sure. You can swing and get a very rare homerun, but they are so few and far in between. Mostly walks and singles if not total failure is the result of modern free agency in the NFL.

The fact is we are so far behind the eightball, not because we don’t do well in free agency, but because we’ve had some very high draft missteps and relatively poor player develoment during the twilight of Marvin’s tenure. There’s plenty of blame to be put on the front office, for not acquiring or retaining the correct talent, for not identifying the light had gone out in Marvin Lewis’ heart after the destruction that was the Pittsburgh playoff debacle. 

Teams that respond to lack of success by throwing tons of money at so called high end free agents almost never see it pan out to the tune of post season success. Better to parse for depth, if the price is right, swing for a starter, then get the draft right. Then, get these addled man-children to buy in and develop individuals toward team play.

3 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Look, you don’t build a team through free agency. It doesn’t even make for a contentious discussion, it’s objective fact. You can do some shoring up, sure. You can swing and get a very rare homerun, but they are so few and far in between. Mostly walks and singles if not total failure is the result of modern free agency in the NFL.

The fact is we are so far behind the eightball, not because we don’t do well in free agency, but because we’ve had some very high draft missteps and relatively poor player develoment during the twilight of Marvin’s tenure. There’s plenty of blame to be put on the front office, for not acquiring or retaining the correct talent, for not identifying the light had gone out in Marvin Lewis’ heart after the destruction that was the Pittsburgh playoff debacle. 

Teams that respond to lack of success by throwing tons of money at so called high end free agents almost never see it pan out to the tune of post season success. Better to parse for depth, if the price is right, swing for a starter, then get the draft right. Then, get these addled man-children to buy in and develop individuals toward team play.

I agree with what you posted. We're not talking about building an entire team with high-priced free agents, but we need an impact player or two in free agency. We don't need journeymen, or average to below average players.  The draft is always a crapshoot.

All I thought we needed to do was spend some (maybe overspend) money on a good right tackle, pick up a linebacker and resign Dennard.  I hardly thinks that qualifies as building the team.   Maybe a CB if Dennard doesn't want to sign. 

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/bengalsb_logo.gif

bengalsb_logo.gif Bengals sign G John Miller (3 years, $16.5 million): D- Grade 
Do you think there's a book out there called Free Agency for Dummies? If so, the Bengals sorely need it in the wake of the Marvin Lewis firing. 

Chapter One: Don't sign mediocre backups to contracts worth more than $5 million per season. This is what the Bengals did with John Miller. The former Buffalo guard can provide somewhat decent depth because of his starting experience, but this contract makes it seem as though the Bengals potentially envision him as a starter. If so, this will end disastrously for the Bengals. 

I nearly graded this signing an "F," but it's not quite as horrendous as some of the other moves the Bengals have made this offseason, as it doesn't hit the $6 million-per-year threshold that the others did. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#ixzz5iH1DMvzH

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#OV0yXWo1ULuAM85C.99

4 hours ago, OneHeartBeat said:

Yeah I know. They never do anything even remotely creative to try and get better players. They must be thinking it's time to rebuild instead of going for it with the window closing on the quarterback and one of the best receivers in the NFL.

They literally swapped places in the first round last year to acquire their starting left tackle. That was kinda creative.

14 minutes ago, membengal said:

They literally swapped places in the first round last year to acquire their starting left tackle. That was kinda creative.

Yeah, after letting an all pro left tackle walk but that is just a minor point.  

Archived