Burfict released

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah but so does the OL & it's all offense in the NFL.  Some great "skill" players being held back by terrible blocking.   If LB isn't there I think it has to be DB or offense.  A shutdown corner is going to have a bigger impact on today's game than even a top-10 LB.

Greedy or Jonah Williams, no relation, would be ideal, imo.

Anyone crying about Burfict's release, whether he goes to the Stealers or whatever has to face facts: dude is a suspension/penalty/concussion machine.

Furthermore, the NFL has neatly legislated his "style" of play right out of the game, rendering him ineffective. He can't cover, he can't "Hulk smash" people anymore, he gets hurt a lot, and is always suspended.

I've defended dude as much as the next guy but let's get real. He couldn't even tackle last season and STILL concussed himself.

Bye Felisha. It's the way the cookie crumbles in this league for better or worse.

32 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Anyone crying about Burfict's release, whether he goes to the Stealers or whatever has to face facts: dude is a suspension/penalty/concussion machine.

Furthermore, the NFL has neatly legislated his "style" of play right out of the game, rendering him ineffective. He can't cover, he can't "Hulk smash" people anymore, he gets hurt a lot, and is always suspended.

I've defended dude as much as the next guy but let's get real. He couldn't even tackle last season and STILL concussed himself.

Bye Felisha. It's the way the cookie crumbles in this league for better or worse.

This, except the last sentence.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah but so does the OL & it's all offense in the NFL.  Some great "skill" players being held back by terrible blocking.   If LB isn't there I think it has to be DB or offense.  A shutdown corner is going to have a bigger impact on today's game than even a top-10 LB.

I would agree a shutdown corner will have a bigger impact than a linebacker not named Bush or White. The one thing that made Burfict great in his prime was he went sideline to sideline and hit guys.  We can’t draft a 2 down LB high. 

38 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

What is a "shutdown corner" in the NFL anymore? Someone who can just get in a receiver's way, without touching him? 

Stephon Gilmore, Desmond King II guys that make the QB far less effective. 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

What is a "shutdown corner" in the NFL anymore? Someone who can just get in a receiver's way, without touching him?

Just a guy that opposing QB's generally stay away from, IMO.....not much else to it.

17 minutes ago, Hooky said:

The so-called despicable monster that shouldn't be allowed in the NFL will probably sign within a day or two of being released. No surprise.

I’d say that’s likely. To echo sentiments from further back in this thread, I wonder if he’s still got the capacity to be even three-quarters of the player he once was. 

Last season, his performance was a real head-scratcher for me. What seems to be impossible to discern is what the source for his falloff was. Was it the repeated concussions and subsequent brain damage? Was it a frustrated guy with extremely poor coaching refusing to adapt his style of play and just giving up? Combination of the two?

I have no animus for the guy personally, I simultaneously loved his passion and abilities while despising his antics and how they were very self-destructive for the entire team, at times. I hope he goes on and succeeds somewhere...or, gets the hell away from the game that will likely kill him.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Just a guy that opposing QB's generally stay away from, IMO.....not much else to it.

I was being facetious. The NFL doesn't allow corners to defend any longer. Unless they are magically-sprinkled with ability to make no contact whatsoever.  

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

I was being facetious. The NFL doesn't allow corners to defend any longer. Unless they are magically-sprinkled with ability to make no contact whatsoever.  

Doesn't change my definition of a "shut down corner" however.....they might not be able to touch the WR's downfield anymore but there are still a few guys that QB's stay away from.

25 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Vontaze Burfict and Antonio Brown on the same team...classic!

It'd be kinda awesome if Burfict "accidentally" nailed Brown again in practice just like he did in the playoff game. "Oops, sorry there little fella, let me help you up."

Archived